Ford to resurrect "SVT Cobra" name in 2015, go naturally aspirated...

7.62x51

Established Member
goosebumps...

Next SVT Mustang may axe Shelby name, go naturally aspirated - Autoblog

Following our first glimpse at the 2015 Ford Mustang out on the road, the fine folks at Road and Track have divulged some details on what the Blue Oval's next pony might have in store. We've already seen that the car will get some very sleek, Evos-inspired design cues, and an independent rear suspension is indeed in store. These new details, however, concern the muscle car's beating heart.

For starters, the base Ford coupe is expected to carry on with V6 power, likely from the same 3.7-liter unit found in today's car. From there, R&T says the next step up will be a four-cylinder EcoBoost engine, likely displacing 2.3 liters, putting out as much as 350 horsepower. Of course, a Mustang wouldn't be a Mustang without V8 thrust, and R&T states that the 5.0-liter Coyote V8 will continue on into the 2015 car, making something like 450 horsepower.

But it's at the high end of the Mustang range where things will, reportedly, get very, very interesting. Road & Track claims that the top-shelf 'Stang will likely lose the supercharger from its engine, producing a metric crap-ton of naturally aspirated grunt instead. Additionally, the SVT-fettled Mustang will likely be dropping its Shelby moniker, in favor of "a name you're familiar with," according to the magazine (you know, like, Cobra).

Look for the camouflage to come off before the end of this year.

EDIT: Here is the latest spy shots of the base V6:

004-2015-ford-mustang-spy-shots.jpg

Last edited:

flS/R

Established Member
the cobra as the top mustang is a good sign of what may be in store

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I feel like the 5.0 architecture is good but it will have to be punched out to get even more reliable power out of it and keep up the horsepower numbers people have come to expect. Maybe a DOHC 6.2 is in the works with DI.

cobracrazee

Established Member
Naturally aspirated usually means no forged bottom end. Will probably have high compression, not blower friendly No thanks

FiveSpeed

Established Member
I'm thinking a 5.8L. Also it doesn't need to have a supercharger/turbo.. it only had forced induction for two years. The Coyote can make power naturally aspirated unlike the 4.6. :kaboom:

MGC

Established Member
Naturally aspirated usually means no forged bottom end. Will probably have high compression, not blower friendly No thanks

There are a few benefits though... Weight, complexity, cost (manufacturing standpoint), no heat soak, just to name a few.

04svtsnke

Established Member
I'm thinking a 5.8L. Also it doesn't need to have a supercharger/turbo.. it only had forced induction for two years. The Coyote can make power naturally aspirated unlike the 4.6. :kaboom:

No disrespect but the top tier mustang needs to completely blow any lesser mustan out of the water stock for stock. Ford is going to need to really bring it if they want to keep it N/A. Ecoboost v8 is the way to go.....

MGC

Established Member
I understand all that, must have a forged motor so we can mod it

Not necessarily... How many people have blown and built 03/04 motors or Shelby motors? As for high compression you could run E85 and a blower. I don't see people complaining about the z06's motor :shrug: combine this with the IRS they are developing and we'll have one hell of a fun all around car.

redline

Established Member
not happening. would get ass handed to it by the srt and the zl1 ,are there any more? they say the 5.8 is too tall for the new body . I cannot see the 5.0 lay down 500 ponies.it has got to have more liters to the motor and or blower .the end

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Please God let the name change be true but I really have a hard time thinking it can continue to dominate it's segment without being a forced induction car.

MGC

Established Member
Surely ford knows what they are doing, even if it doesn't have a blower and doesn't have 662 hp or more they will obviously improve the performance of it. 6.2L DOHC could probably make 600+? Have some faith guys.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
If the 5.8 won't fit how will the 6.2? And it makes no where near 600 in the Raptor....

Surely ford knows what they are doing, even if it doesn't have a blower and doesn't have 662 hp or more they will obviously improve the performance of it. 6.2L DOHC could probably make 600+? Have some faith guys.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread