Ford Website...Google Search

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
SEO is likely the main factor. They had the same link during previous MYGT500s as I recall so it made sense to keep it for the already established rank and traffic.

Doubtful, but I'm hoping I see/hear something at SEMA this year regarding the 2017/18 GT500.

Usually if something is going to debut at SEMA, the internet has known about it for a while, correct?

At least from Ford.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
A brand and new chassis? They just came out with the s550? So are you saying the current chassis will short lived? Btw, how do you guys find out about that stuff?

Yes. If you can stomach following a link from 6G they had a link from a leaked presentation from some accounting firm that analyzes automakers. I won't directly link it but Google S650 Mustang and it should take you right to it. May 2020 debut for 2021 model year so any new GT500 would only run for 2-3 model years before the completely new chassis debuts and no special editions for a year or so after that. Ford's massive aluminum production experiment/partnership with Alcoa is about to pay huge dividends http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2015/09/14/ford-alcoa-partner-new-aluminum-vehicles/72276920/. Fox chassis ran for 15 model years, SN95 for 11, S197 for 10, S550 projected for just 6. S650 will be entirely aluminum construction dropping who knows how many hundreds of pounds.

Either way I'm still pumped to see what Ford brings with this new car. I hated the SRA in my 14 GT500, the rear brakes and skinny tires left much to be desired as well. I'm really looking forward to the IRS, magnetic-ride control, 300+mm rubber at all 4 corners, the possibility of carbon-fiber wheels being standard, a full-time 7K+ rpm redline, and stronger connecting rods. If the 350/350R are getting the rave reviews we've seen and the crazy laptimes just imagine Ford adding 200-horses and having the additional time for chassis tuning. We're talking real supercar territory.

DepWraith

Established Member
Last edited:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
The GT500 was supposed to be out for MY '17 for the 50th Anniversay, but they ran into some engineering issues such as oil consumption and hard starting.

Sorry, but this specific piece of information is not true. Timeline is way off.

Clemson

Established Member
Yes. If you can stomach following a link from 6G they had a link from a leaked presentation from some accounting firm that analyzes automakers. I won't directly link it but Google S650 Mustang and it should take you right to it. May 2020 debut for 2021 model year so any new GT500 would only run for 2-3 model years before the completely new chassis debuts and no special editions for a year or so after that. Ford's massive aluminum production experiment/partnership with Alcoa is about to pay huge dividends http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2015/09/14/ford-alcoa-partner-new-aluminum-vehicles/72276920/. Fox chassis ran for 15 model years, SN95 for 11, S197 for 10, S550 projected for just 6. S650 will be entirely aluminum construction dropping who knows how many hundreds of pounds.

Either way I'm still pumped to see what Ford brings with this new car. I hated the SRA in my 14 GT500, the rear brakes and skinny tires left much to be desired as well. I'm really looking forward to the IRS, magnetic-ride control, 300+mm rubber at all 4 corners, the possibility of carbon-fiber wheels being standard, a full-time 7K+ rpm redline, and stronger connecting rods. If the 350/350R are getting the rave reviews we've seen and the crazy laptimes just imagine Ford adding 200-horses and having the additional time for chassis tuning. We're talking real supercar territory.

That would be awesome......but hopefully the body design will have its own unique identity instead of looking like fusions inbred cousin.

DepWraith

Established Member
Sorry, but this specific piece of information is not true. Timeline is way off.

Ok, well the first GT500 was built in 1967...you do the math. I'm only passing along what I was told by a source on the project. Don't kill the messenger if you don't like the message.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ok, well the first GT500 was built in 1967...you do the math. I'm only passing along what I was told by a source on the project. Don't kill the messenger if you don't like the message.

With all due respect. Dave would know.

And I'm only telling you, there was never a chance or attempt to get a GT500 out for MY17.

+1. But you ignored my question.... When do you expect your FGT?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
TBD. They asked if I wanted a very early VIN and I haven't decided. Would be Q1.

As hard as it is to wait...I'd probably want one of the mid to late VINs.

But you would hope Ford wouldn't produce a half million dollar car and let it out of the plant with any bugs.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
As hard as it is to wait...I'd probably want one of the mid to late VINs.

But you would hope Ford wouldn't produce a half million dollar car and let it out of the plant with any bugs.

0% chance that happens. The car is way too complicated to not have a bunch of niggling issues, but it's par for the course. We're 4+ years into McLaren building basically the same car and the Super Series cars are still buggy as hell. I've gone through 4. There won't be a 5th.

I have two buddies with 918s. Both have almost no miles, in part because both say Porsche have had the cars more than they have. We went out to Pebble and when we arrived the master tech was already in his car updating this or that. One was driving through the corkscrew at Laguna during RRV and the windshield cracked. Came into the pits to find several others had as well. Good luck with that.

You rarely hear about it with exotic manufacturers because it's viewed as the cost of doing business. I guarantee you will hear about whatever issues the GT has, and they will be magnified 100x, just like the last one.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
0% chance that happens. The car is way too complicated to not have a bunch of niggling issues, but it's par for the course. We're 4+ years into McLaren building basically the same car and the Super Series cars are still buggy as hell. I've gone through 4. There won't be a 5th.

I have two buddies with 918s. Both have almost no miles, in part because both say Porsche have had the cars more than they have. We went out to Pebble and when we arrived the master tech was already in his car updating this or that. One was driving through the corkscrew at Laguna during RRV and the windshield cracked. Came into the pits to find several others had as well. Good luck with that.

You rarely hear about it with exotic manufacturers because it's viewed as the cost of doing business. I guarantee you will hear about whatever issues the GT has, and they will be magnified 100x, just like the last one.

That's a very good point, with that in mind, I'd want an early one.

I have a friend that has a 918 out in Denver, he said the same thing. He's a Porsche dealer and he has less than 1000 miles on it and it's had all kinds of issues unfortunately.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

Had no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread