Forged internals/ adding boost

Jonathan Post

Established Member
And if I did want to go higher than 750 in future I’d like it to handle more.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Jonathan Post

Established Member
If 750 wheel is your goal I would highly consider a gen 2 coyote short block. These will hold 750 all day without even flinching. You can get one of these for about 2500 from your dealer including the core charge. Turn around and sell your stock block for 750-1000 and you will only have 1700 ish in your bottom end plus labor costs. Gen 2 short blocks are stout, for the price you can't beat it.

For added insurance throw in some gen 2 valve springs, TSS opg, TSS crank sprocket, and arp headstuds. This set up will last just as long as a forged short block for a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

So how much would all that cost me? I would need to put 1700ish into the gen 2 block? Plus labor and the springs, I don’t know what TSS opg, or the crank sprocket, or arp headstuds. What’s all that do?
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Reaper14

Established Member
I have a gen 2 short block Ill be using. Planning on getting it to 800whp on E. The opg, & crank sproket are for insurance along for the higher grade head studs. I paid $2100 for the short block, but will be doing the work so Ill save on labor. Just saving up for the bits & heads before getting started.

Vic

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Yes, S550 short block from 11-17 Mustang GT. They will hold much more than 750. My friends wife's has a 15 GT, car was supercharged since 5k miles, curre toy at 40k. Just switched to a twin turbo setup making very close to 1000 at the wheels and is holding great. Car has made several quarter mile passes trapping low 150s and no issues. Only internal mods are oil pump gears, crank sprocket, and head studs.

Gen 2 will live along life at 1000 hp.

I was saying if you bought a complete s550 short block you could recoupe some of the money if you sold your stock short block. As far as price it all depends how far you want to go. Here is some rough math. Gen 2 short block will be 2500, this includes the 500 core charge. You can pick up a set of oil pump gears and sprocket between 350-550 depending on brand. Head studs will run you roughly 300-350. Not sure on valve springs but I'd guess around 150ish.

While your in there change out all the timing chains/ guides and you will need new gaskets, figure a couple hundred for all of this. Then sell your block for 750-1000 or turn it in as a core and get your 500 back.

You can probably do everything above with labor and still be cheaper than buying a forged short block.

Jonathan Post

Established Member
Yes, S550 short block from 11-17 Mustang GT. They will hold much more than 750. My friends wife's has a 15 GT, car was supercharged since 5k miles, curre toy at 40k. Just switched to a twin turbo setup making very close to 1000 at the wheels and is holding great. Car has made several quarter mile passes trapping low 150s and no issues. Only internal mods are oil pump gears, crank sprocket, and head studs.

Gen 2 will live along life at 1000 hp.

I was saying if you bought a complete s550 short block you could recoupe some of the money if you sold your stock short block. As far as price it all depends how far you want to go. Here is some rough math. Gen 2 short block will be 2500, this includes the 500 core charge. You can pick up a set of oil pump gears and sprocket between 350-550 depending on brand. Head studs will run you roughly 300-350. Not sure on valve springs but I'd guess around 150ish.

While your in there change out all the timing chains/ guides and you will need new gaskets, figure a couple hundred for all of this. Then sell your block for 750-1000 or turn it in as a core and get your 500 back.

You can probably do everything above with labor and still be cheaper than buying a forged short block.

Okay, that answers my questions! Thank you very much! Would you be able to provide a link to where I can purchase a gen 2 short block?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Jonathan Post

Established Member

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
It's an entire short block from the oil pan up. Has Pistons rods crank everything's already in it

Jonathan Post

Established Member
Nice!! So once I get that I’ll have a local shop put it together with my long block, with different springs, gaskets, chain and guides, oil pump gears and sprocket, and head studs.
Need to find the right stuff. Will the shop have chain, guides, and gaskets or is that something I need to order as well?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread