forged short-block, what did you guys do?

clinton2003

Established Member
There are 2 ATI balancers. For 11-13 and 14+. The difference is in water pump pulley bolts, 4 for 11-13 and 3 for 14+
how would different bolts for water pump change what balancer you run... especially when you can swap the pumps on the car interchangeably (as long as you change both water pump and water pump pulley for the correct bolt pattern obviously)

RusWolf

Established Member
how would different bolts for water pump change what balancer you run... especially when you can swap the pumps on the car interchangeably (as long as you change both water pump and water pump pulley for the correct bolt pattern obviously)

I’m not sure, maybe due to the mounting location and where the ati is places? Information i gave is basically from researching ati pulleys. They do list them as different for mentioned years and do list 3 or 4 bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaper14

Established Member
On this site it just has them listed same for gen 1 to gen 2's.
Screenshot_20200223-160253.jpeg

Vic

Reaper14

Established Member
Well, normally i would do it myself. But this time its a shop because I don’t have a lift anymore. Plus the price I got to do a short block swap is very good and worth to pay and not have to get dirty.
Oh ok, was gonna ask for pics of progress & parts side by side. Ill be receiving my short block today according to fedex. How much was the cost of the labor if you dont mind me asking. Just to do a rear gear swap I was quoted over $1k + parts. One of the many reasons I do all my work.

Vic

RusWolf

Established Member
It’s going to be approximately $1350 in labor to swap of the shortblock, install new clutch while we are it, opgs, ss clutchline, crankshaft sprocket and things like that.

Plus they are going to be installing TMI seats, rear brake pads, transmission fluid switch from ford to red line so this will be extra.

So having said that, we will see what the total cost is going to be.

Well at least I know that as far as the labor concerning the motor seems to be very reasonable.

Reaper14

Established Member
It’s going to be approximately $1350 in labor to swap of the shortblock, install new clutch while we are it, opgs, ss clutchline, crankshaft sprocket and things like that.

Plus they are going to be installing TMI seats, rear brake pads, transmission fluid switch from ford to red line so this will be extra.

So having said that, we will see what the total cost is going to be.

Well at least I know that as far as the labor concerning the motor seems to be very reasonable.

Thats really good! Thats how much I was quoted just for the clutch.

Vic

Reaper14

Established Member
Wow clutch only? Sounds like a rip off. I think standard clutch install price is around $600.

Paid $750 over 10 years ago for the clutch on my 95' rx-7. Guess its a small town price. It was a pain, but I got it done.

Vic

Reaper14

Established Member
How much is it at a ford dealership?
You would think a small town will have lower prices.

Ford dealership? I went there to get the air bag replaced. I asked for a 3.73 to 3.31 gear swap & how much. They called the guy in charge of that. He asked me why. I told him its too much gear for my car. He kept asking why & if it was him he would leave it like that. I asked for a quote one last time & he asked me why one last time, so I never went back after recalls. Their parts dept is worse. Last time I went in there asking for a clutch line connector for my 5.0 I had to still explain to the guy the size of the engine & that it was for a 6 speed. Guy tells me "for a 6 speed? I thought clutches were only on auto cars". Needlless to say I have many reasons I do all my own work lol.

Vic

RusWolf

Established Member
Ford dealership? I went there to get the air bag replaced. I asked for a 3.73 to 3.31 gear swap & how much. They called the guy in charge of that. He asked me why. I told him its too much gear for my car. He kept asking why & if it was him he would leave it like that. I asked for a quote one last time & he asked me why one last time, so I never went back after recalls. Their parts dept is worse. Last time I went in there asking for a clutch line connector for my 5.0 I had to still explain to the guy the size of the engine & that it was for a 6 speed. Guy tells me "for a 6 speed? I thought clutches were only on auto cars". Needlless to say I have many reasons I do all my own work lol.

Vic

WTF...thats insane.
What state is it in?

RusWolf

Established Member
I live in SW Kansas

Vic

Got ya. That sucks about your local dealer. I am lucky to have dealt with amazing delaership in the past in NY and in WA where I initially bought the car and it developed some kind of white dots in the paint. They took care of it no questions asked.

Another question.
I have an opportunity to get BBK ceramic headers brand new at a shop cost.
Would I get them for 11-14 or 15-17 ? I’m a little confused.

Also reaper, did your SB arrive? Can you snap a pic of pistons and how it overall looks?
My guy from the shop told me today, that he was told by the supplier that we got lucky with this block and I got a Ford Racing track pack block and basically the supplier is saying its a forged internals block and better than just Gen 2 block. Which I kind of doubt... So lets compare to what piston tops look like to what I have.

Reaper14

Established Member
Got ya. That sucks about your local dealer. I am lucky to have dealt with amazing delaership in the past in NY and in WA where I initially bought the car and it developed some kind of white dots in the paint. They took care of it no questions asked.

Another question.

Also reaper, did your SB arrive? Can you snap a pic of pistons and how it overall looks?
My guy from the shop told me today, that he was told by the supplier that we got lucky with this block and I got a Ford Racing track pack block and basically the supplier is saying its a forged internals block and better than just Gen 2 block. Which I kind of doubt... So lets compare to what piston tops look like to what I have.

Well Im running Kooks on mine & Im sure I wont be changing them. At the most might just be different thread on the studs if you're changing to gen 2 heads, for gen 1 should be no change. My buddy was running BBK on his & it would rub on his steering shaft when he turned. Had to ding it to stop. It was on a 12' though.
Ill snap a pic of it when I get home from work. It arrived monday....now you got me thinking about the headers since Ill be swapping to gen 2 heads. I might need a newer gen gasket. Good point!

Vic

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Buy headers for your year car. The block and heads will be the same as far as headers are concerned

As for your engine, it sounds like you might have a Aluminator, if you do you got one hell of a deal. I believe those come with Mahle pistons.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reaper14

Established Member

Another question.

Ive never heard of that, track pack coming forged. I mean, my 2014 is a track pack & I know mostly what that all includes, but forged internals are not part of it to my knowledge. Just that gen 2s come with FoMoCo forged rods that get most people safely into the 800swhp compared to our gen 1s. Here are the pics.
20200227_210348.jpeg
20200227_210435.jpeg
20200227_210449.jpeg

Vic

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Pics above are standard coyote pistons for a gen 2. If you have a Aluminator block I'm fairly certain the pistons do not have the data matrix on the pistons like above.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread