forged short-block, what did you guys do?

Reaper14

Established Member
Pics above are standard coyote pistons for a gen 2. If you have a Aluminator block I'm fairly certain the pistons do not have the data matrix on the pistons like above.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yup! This is a reg gen 2 short block.

Vic

RusWolf

Established Member
62de3f508be663f79f0e6195534453de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RusWolf

Established Member
Looks like a regular gen 2 man. Idk if that guy knows what hr was saying. Maybe he just meant forged rods & crank

Vic

Yup . It is, just a regular block gen 2. As i was expecting, someone confused everyone.
But the red label label did say: Ford Racing-Track pack block.

RusWolf

Established Member
What was the Ford part number?

I posted it above taken from a crate box.
I’ll look at the red label again where it said ford racing track pack.

Guys: Is it worth adding LTH to the car?
What power gains should I expect over just my lethal O/R H-pipe at the same boost level?
I was making 675/590 with my paxton on 10 psi.
Will I hit 700 with adding LTH at the same psi?

PC03GT

Established Member
I posted it above taken from a crate box.
I’ll look at the red label again where it said ford racing track pack.

Guys: Is it worth adding LTH to the car?
What power gains should I expect over just my lethal O/R H-pipe at the same boost level?
I was making 675/590 with my paxton on 10 psi.
Will I hit 700 with adding LTH at the same psi?

I picked up 40hp switching from o/r h pipe to LTH. That's with a vortech and on 93/torco

RusWolf

Established Member
I picked up 40hp switching from o/r h pipe to LTH. That's with a vortech and on 93/torco

Ohh that’s pretty good!
So I should pick up similar numbers than! Thats great to hear that its 30+ whp and not like 10.

You said replace, but wouldn’t LTH’s mate to a o/r h pipe?
I’m running lethal h-pipe.

Also, has anyone ever had their injectors cleaned and serviced? I have ID1000 from when i bought and installed them back in 2012.
Been running E85 since 2015 and I guess it would be a wise idea to have them cleaned and flow matched.

Searched online and ID charges $25 per
injector, which sounds steep kind of.
Any other reputable shop/brand to look at for cleaning, servicing of injectors?

Reaper14

Established Member
Are you replacing your block to up the boost, or just because of a bad short block? How much boost is your tuner gonna advice you to safely turn it up?

Vic

PC03GT

Established Member
Ohh that’s pretty good!
So I should pick up similar numbers than! Thats great to hear that its 30+ whp and not like 10.

You said replace, but wouldn’t LTH’s mate to a o/r h pipe?
I’m running lethal h-pipe.

Also, has anyone ever had their injectors cleaned and serviced? I have ID1000 from when i bought and installed them back in 2012.
Been running E85 since 2015 and I guess it would be a wise idea to have them cleaned and flow matched.

I did the kooks setup, with their o/r h pipe. I had a lethal h pipe also, I guess you could rig something up

Last edited:

RusWolf

Established Member
Well we will see. They also sell some kind of connecting cross over or something like that for $120 or $130.

But, heads got just done.

Last edited:

e85svt

Established Member
So from anyone's experience what's the most cost effective if let's say you want about 750rwhp longterm? I'm thinking an aluminator shortblock or built bottom end using the existing block. A gen 2 should hold but dont know how long before piston ring land failures occur. How much should it cost for a forged rotating assembly? Machining and everything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Reaper14

Established Member
So from anyone's experience what's the most cost effective if let's say you want about 750rwhp longterm? I'm thinking an aluminator shortblock or built bottom end using the existing block. A gen 2 should hold but dont know how long before piston ring land failures occur. How much should it cost for a forged rotating assembly? Machining and everything.

Thats why I went with a gen 2, only shooting for high 700s or low 800s & keeping it there long term. A rotating assembly would run you around 2k from mmr or someone of the like. Depending on shop on labor.

Vic

Reaper14

Established Member
Well we will see. They also sell some kind of connecting cross over or something like that for $120 or $130.

But, heads got just done.

Did you put same heads back on? Or did you port them or upgrade to gen 2?

Vic

e85svt

Established Member
That's what I was thinking. Gen 2 seems to be a good deal for those kinds of power levels and is relatively easy on the wallet. An aluminator might give you more wiggle room but is also more expensive.
Thats why I went with a gen 2, only shooting for high 700s or low 800s & keeping it there long term. A rotating assembly would run you around 2k from mmr or someone of the like. Depending on shop on labor.

Vic

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
If you were going to build a coyote bottom end from scratch I would plan on spending around 5k all said and done. This includes block, all components, and machine work. I would highly encourage you find a reputable machine shop. You can have the best parts in the world but if it's put together wrong it won't last.

With that said the gen 2 block is a good deal, you can basically get two for the price of one built bottom end. I think it will last awhile in the high 700 low 800 range. It's all in the tuning and how you drive.

e85svt

Established Member
Well itll be 98% on the street but may see a couple track passes. 5k isnt that bad for everything, that's right around aluminator, jpc built shortblocks etc.... might look into some local machine shops but I dont know who to trust at least in my area lol.
If you were going to build a coyote bottom end from scratch I would plan on spending around 5k all said and done. This includes block, all components, and machine work. I would highly encourage you find a reputable machine shop. You can have the best parts in the world but if it's put together wrong it won't last.

With that said the gen 2 block is a good deal, you can basically get two for the price of one built bottom end. I think it will last awhile in the high 700 low 800 range. It's all in the tuning and how you drive.

clinton2003

Established Member
there are advantages/disadvantages between the aluminator, gen2 shortblock, and a built shortblock.

aluminator has manley h-beams, and forged pistons. but ring gaps that are too tight for higher hp applications. (at least the 11:1 comp one does)
gen2 has powder forged rods (strong, but not as strong as good h-beams) and stock pistons. ring gaps are still stock which can create a problem at higher hp.
built shortblock usually will have good h-beams, aluminum pistons and correct ring gaps for your application. usually more expensive and or more down time (if you use your existing block)

ring gaps are important because if you start getting too high or cylinder temps, the rings expand. if the gap dissapears, it still has to go somewhere, binding up in the cylinder, which can break off the top of the piston.

It all really comes down to what your going to be doing with the car. AND the quality of tune... if your tune is spot on, you can get away with the tighter ring gaps. if its just a bit off at the higher power levels, your done.

In most cases, a gen2 is going to cover what people want, but if you start getting greedy, you will regret it. If your like me, and its never enough... then do yourself a favor and do a built shortblock, maybe even toss in some darton sleeves and I beams for when you really want to turn it up, especially if you have a turbo(s).

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member

Family Owned, Fine Tuned

This is who i used the last time I had my injectors done and I literally just sent them a set of ID 1300's this morning. They charge $15 per injector and typically have a 1-2 day turn around.

Users who are viewing this thread