Forging internals on 97 cobra

CrawCobra97

Established Member
Hey guys just was wondering how much it would be to forge my internals, I'm only looking for 500rwhp max, so I don't need the best of the best, I just Am trying to get a ballpark number on how much I could forge my internals for,

LS2GTO

Established Member
Figure about 1-2k or so for parts then another 1k for machining labor.

So to have a built shortblock is going to be around 2-3k depending on the quality of parts you get. This of course means that you do all the other labor, as in taking the engine out then putting it back in. If you're not doing that yourself figure another k or so for that labor.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Figure about 1-2k or so for parts then another 1k for machining labor.

So to have a built shortblock is going to be around 2-3k depending on the quality of parts you get. This of course means that you do all the other labor, as in taking the engine out then putting it back in. If you're not doing that yourself figure another k or so for that labor.

Yup $4K if the shop is removing and using budget parts,another $1K for better stuff..

CrawCobra97

Established Member
Alright, is it possible for one to put new Pistons and rods in ones garage? I have a motor with only 30,xxx miles on it its remanned from ford have paperwork to prove it, would it be possible to get by just getting Pistons and rods, that are forged put them in with fresh gaskets, and then use the rest for a vortech setup my budget is only 5-6k, or how safe would a v3 intercooled setup be on stock longblock...I feel like it's borrowed time no matter what and your capped at 400 without forged internals, so my last question would be if I did forge he internals and do some other bolt ons, Sri, port heads, cams, cai, ect would I not be close to 400 n/a and forged...maybe even have enough money to put a little shot on the end to break over 450..what do you guys think sorry long post but trying to get all the info I can before I pull he trigger on anything

mystical

Established Member
Get a good tune and it should be fine without touching the engine under 500rw.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Just do the Vortech. You'll still be at $5k by the time you add injectors, maf, gauges, fuel pump, and tune, especially if you want it intercooled

CrawCobra97

Established Member
Yeah I seen a 3,800 kit from Anderson that's comes with a v3 head unit (I want the self lubrication), and it come with brackets accessories and power pipe, says all I need is injectors and tune,no believe it even comes with a 255 walbro pump, now if I want intercooled what intercooler should I buy, do I need a blow through or the other setup can't remember the name, and how do I mount the intercooler, I'm looking for 9 psi intercooled

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Yeah I seen a 3,800 kit from Anderson that's comes with a v3 head unit (I want the self lubrication), and it come with brackets accessories and power pipe, says all I need is injectors and tune,no believe it even comes with a 255 walbro pump, now if I want intercooled what intercooler should I buy, do I need a blow through or the other setup can't remember the name, and how do I mount the intercooler, I'm looking for 9 psi intercooled
If that's the route you want to take you're better off piecing it together. I got my brand new v3si for $1680 on corral.
The powerpipe will have extra fittings you'll need to plug if you run an intercooler.. kinda pointless to buy when you can have a better one made for less.
All you'll need is the
vortech (b) discharge tube $125
Vortech mounting kit. $299
96 water pump pulley. $100
And everything else will be custom bought by you. I'm going the exact same build right now. When I get home I'll post some pics.
Intercooler is a treadstone 1245
Tial q blowing
Hpx slot meter
80# deka's
Aeromotive 340 in tank
Cop conversion
3" piping from treadstone

CrawCobra97

Established Member
I just thought of going the route of a kit just so I know there brand new and will work, plus I'm not familiar with the kits really so I don't know what all I would need to piece together, plus really wouldent want to take the time to search across forums for it

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Then spend the $5200 on an intercooled procharger kit. There is no intercooled Vortech besides the highly unpopular air to water aftercooler

CrawCobra97

Established Member
Which is why I'm asking how people are intercooling them?...Such as yourself if I bought a v3 kit from Anderson what else would I need to do to intercool it? And the procharger kits don't come with injectors, gauges, maf either, so I'd rather but the vortech kit for 2,200 less and peice everything else together

yfz162

88mph....serious shit!!!!
Established Member
With a safe tune you shouldn't need to intercool a 9psi kit, but you have 3 options if you feel the need to charge cool. Air/air, water /air, or methanol injection...... Air/air is the best all around method for a street car imo. You can run either a draw through or a blow through set-up with an air/air configuration.

CrawCobra97

Established Member
Only reason I want to intercool is because I feel as though that will make the setup safer overall and save the life of my stock bottom end.

cbrown9064

Established Member
If that's the route you want to take you're better off piecing it together. I got my brand new v3si for $1680 on corral.
The powerpipe will have extra fittings you'll need to plug if you run an intercooler.. kinda pointless to buy when you can have a better one made for less.
All you'll need is the
vortech (b) discharge tube $125
Vortech mounting kit. $299
96 water pump pulley. $100
And everything else will be custom bought by you. I'm going the exact same build right now. When I get home I'll post some pics.
Intercooler is a treadstone 1245
Tial q blowing
Hpx slot meter
80# deka's
Aeromotive 340 in tank
Cop conversion
3" piping from treadstone

^^^This...

A Powerpipe is a waste. Ask me how I know.

No such thing (beside uber expensive Paxton or Procharger kits) as a simple kit. Why? Because they are dead simple to put together. It is a simple as...
1. mount intercooler and blower.
2. Stare at how the pipes might run.
3. Order various bits from Frozenboost.com
4. Cut up piping that is all shiny and mock up using painters tape and silicone couplers.
5. When satisfied with how everything is looking, take pipes "welded" together with painters tape to someone who welds aluminum.
6. Get stuff back from welder. Mount, have fun.

You are making this 100x harder than it is.

Last edited:

cbrown9064

Established Member
Which is why I'm asking how people are intercooling them?...Such as yourself if I bought a v3 kit from Anderson what else would I need to do to intercool it? And the procharger kits don't come with injectors, gauges, maf either, so I'd rather but the vortech kit for 2,200 less and peice everything else together

Forget the kits...buy a good used Si trim here or on corral. Find a bracket. Buy hardware kit (and maybe bracket) from Vortech or superchargersonline.com .

Step 1. Make list of what you need.
Step 2. Order.
Step 3. Save $$$, get exactly what you want.

Easy.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
The Si trim is a better suited blower than either procharger for this car.. But it's alot better when run with an air to air.. So, there isn't a bolt on kit out there, so you might was well do EXACTLY what I'm doing and piece it together.. I got an exceptional deal on the blower, but the same guy has them all the time on corral, brand new..
Once again.. Here is what I bought...
$1680 Brand New V3si
$299 Vortech Mounting kit
$1xx Smooth Water pump pulley
$125 Cast Vortech discharge tube to TB so I can run the stock Strut Tower Brace. This piece isn't needed if you don't need the brace
That's all the Vortech parts it takes..

It costs a little over an extra $1000 to run an air to air..
$408 Treadstone 1245 4" core 3" inlet outlet intercooler
$125 Donathen Racing Tubular Bumper Support which gives room for the intercooler and saves weight added by the intercooler
$600 Various 3" tubing Tial Q blowoff.. I can tell you EXACTLY what tubing it will take in a few more days.. Building the tubing right now
$125 Various silicone couplers... Main ones are 5" round for throttle body and 2.75 to 3" for blower to tubing.. the rest are all 3" straight and 90's
$229 PMAS HPX slot meter in 3" housing and harness adapter.. can also wire in iat sensor to 2 outside wires and get rid of sep iat sensor
$275 Brand New Siemens Deka 80# injectors. found on corral. tuner insists on 80's on everything he tunes
$150 Aermotive 340 in tank and new filter.
That's everything needed but the tune, assuming you delete the air pump and don't have cats.. Otherwise you'd add the $50 air pump relocation bracket.. Just download the Vortech Install instructions, read them and understand what you need to do so you know what you need to buy..
I also have $1000 in gauges and switched to COP covers, which was another $700, but that's not necessary.

Here's the picture I used to visualize what I needed to buy...
0487d44a86f78ae7dde4dc214af44362.jpg

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Last piece I did not mention was the coolant crossover..
Vortech and Procharger want $500+ for them.. So I bought a few used ones and am modifying them myself. I have a tubing bender and I weld for a living.. Easy fix. I'll be building extras for others.. Other choice is a coolant crossover delete from the crooks at MMR or On3

Users who are viewing this thread