Forza 3 fans - how to set up and tune for drag racing?

Supernova

Established Member
So I tried some online drag racing today (S class RWD) and since I didn't have any RWD S class cars I just picked one of the S-class cars in the game to use (I think it was a McLaren F1) and I was able to run something like an 11.0 if I recall correctly. I only lost to a couple guys that had custom cars--one guy ran an 8 with some kind of Datsun. Fast forward a couple hours and I've tried to make a drag car out of a 93 Cobra R... But I can't manage to get better than a 12.5 due to the lack of traction. The car is maxed out for the S level at a 700 PI (I think it has 750-something hp). If I go and "benchmark" the car, it says it should do 0-100 in like 6 seconds, but I'll be damned if I can come ANYWHERE close to that! :lol:

Any advice on trying to setup a car for drag racing in this game? I'm not THAT bad at launching a car in this game, so I assume I need some definite help in my setup. I have the widest tires with slicks on the back (or whatever the best tires are called in the game) and can't get piss for traction. FYI, I play with the driver aids off and manual transmission.

Also, please let's not turn this into a "drag racing sucks in Forza 3" thread.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
there really isn't much you can do, it's just inevitable that your gonna spin. stiffen up the front springs, bump damping, and rear rebound damping, soften the rear springs, bump damping, and drop the suspension with the front maybe slightly higher than the rear. this should maximize weight transfer and give you an immeasurably small increase in traction(at least, from what i've found).

there is a petition for a stickier drag strip and the inclusion of drag radials.

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
The drag racing is gay. I cant get my mustang to hook at all. 12.129 is the best i can do with my 417hp 93R. 3.55 gears with an eaton seems to work well. if you try to low rpm launch it bogs. off the limiter it blows up 1st and scraps the run with 12.5 or worse. Turn 10 seriously needs to look into upgrading that end of the game

1hot281

Established Member
best thing i've found is using realistic gearing, and manual/w clutch and powershifting the hell out of it (punch clutch and shift, not letting off the gas)

03-04 Cobra t-56 gearing works pretty good in the Racing Trans:

1st: 2.66
2nd: 1.78
3rd: 1.30
4th: 1.00
5th: .80
6th: .63

Final drive is all personal preference, i usually go with 3.73's, 4.10's, or 4.30's...

i got my Shelby GT500 to hit a 9.96 using 2.73's... and AWD

427R.gif

Last edited:

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
if anyone wants to drag race with normal cars not unrealisticly modded cars now add me
my GT is freaktLTdangle.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i get my best S class+ times(rear and all wheel drive) with a 2 speed quarter mile set up. just keep changing your final drive until your crossing the 1/4 mark right as you come up to red line in 2nd gear. this seems to work out well for the 1 mile too, crossing the finish in 4th gear. i'm certainly not anything special at tuning in FM, but this is what seems to work for me.

Bullitt02744

Established Member
im having trouble with my launching, is there a special trick to this?
rev limit starts eat the tires and low rpm has no life at all
feel free to add me up
my tag is LT DANN TAYLOR

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
ive ran 8.90s in a datsun. drag racing in the game is lame as of now. how the hell can a full suspension, slick tired, weight reduced 93 cobra not pull the wheels even a little

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
This is one area of the game I haven't ventured into yet. I will probably try to take my Focus RS8 Clone (with the Cammer) and awd and see what cooks up. Clearly the game isn't set to where launch conditions are realistic so if you don't have awd, you can forget about low 10's etc.

Edit: An old Gran Tourismo trick I used to use was starting the car off in 2nd (at the limiter). I'm not sure if that is even plausible in this game

runsonboost

Established Member
its not possible to start out in second in forza now, it wont let you shift until the car is moving. the best time i have gotten out of my 510 is a 8.873 using a 3 speed trans setup. gunna start working with my bugatti in the r class tonight. my tag is xchesty pullerx if anyone wants to add me and do some runs.

FuzzyDiceRule

Established Member
forzas traction system sucks, get used to it, they still havent realized that contact patch actually plays a role in the damn thing, ive all but given up on two wheel drive in forza...

03 VENOM

Established Member
its not possible to start out in second in forza now, it wont let you shift until the car is moving. the best time i have gotten out of my 510 is a 8.873 using a 3 speed trans setup. gunna start working with my bugatti in the r class tonight. my tag is xchesty pullerx if anyone wants to add me and do some runs.

Damn, good run. I bought a tune that has a 3 speed trans setup. But, I can't get it in the 8s. Do you sell tunes? Was that for a S700 class??

Svt4ever22

Established Member
My Foxbody runs 10.5's :). It's ALL about how you launch. MUST run a 2 gear setup. When you launch, run it near redline, hold it steady when it takes off, then go full throttle right below about 2k.

Roger04Romeo

Established Member
Damn, good run. I bought a tune that has a 3 speed trans setup. But, I can't get it in the 8s. Do you sell tunes? Was that for a S700 class??

I have a 2 gear powerglide setup that I did a 8.87 in and I have it for sale for 7,000 my gamertag is Roger Z06 Vette :beer:

Supernova

Established Member
My Foxbody runs 10.5's :). It's ALL about how you launch. MUST run a 2 gear setup. When you launch, run it near redline, hold it steady when it takes off, then go full throttle right below about 2k.

Nice! That seems to be what I'm doing, but I still can't crack the 10s--my best is an 11.0. Seems to trap about 145. What engine do you have in your car, the GT engine or one from the stock car?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
ive ran 8.90s in a datsun. drag racing in the game is lame as of now. how the hell can a full suspension, slick tired, weight reduced 93 cobra not pull the wheels even a little
probably because it's on road racing slicks and on an unprepped surface(equivalent to a road or parking lot).

ultralor

the fastest car i know of in forza 3 in a drag is the datson 510 if u would like to find out send ultralor a friend request ithat is my gammer tag name

Users who are viewing this thread