FOUND: 20 lbs Road Racing Wheels that fit the 13 GT500

Cman01

hello
Established Member
No sensors? So when you go lapping the light will be on and you would have full advance trac on with no way of changing to the different settings correct?

Traction control can still be turned off though.

Drag racing you can probably get away with no sensors but I wasn't sure if you are lapping any input from lapping guru's here?

TJR12

TJR12
Established Member
No sensors? So when you go lapping the light will
be on and you would have full advance trac on with no way of changing to the different settings correct?

Drag racing you can probably get away with no sensors but I wasn't sure if you are lapping any input from lapping guru's here?

I had my aftermarket wheels/tires on the vehicle yesterday without sensors and didn't have any problems changing the traction control settings to sport or totally off. Granted, it was just a quick drive around a parking lot and I did a quick donut or two, but still no issues. What makes you think you couldn't change the traction control just because the light is on?

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Here are a few updates:

I have test driven the car with all four wheels and tires on the streets and the front setup seams solid. No rubbing or any signs of problems.

The rear wheels with the 35 offset will protrude out from the fenders about 3/4". If you have the stock suspension it should not rub the fenders with the stock bump stops and the suspension in sport mode. Going around corners the tires and wheel will articulate into the rear fender wells and will have enough fender clearance.

On cars that have been lowered the 35 offset might rub the rear fenders depending how far it's been dropped. On my car the clearances seem to be ok on the street. I'm just not sure how it will be on the track. I would look at the 45 offset wheel on the rear and stay with the same size tire on all four corners. You will not be able to rotate them at the track but they could be rotated by dismounting the tires. Some of these problem could be caused by the 40 series tires I'm running. Maybe a 30 or 35 series shorter tire could be the cure for tires rubbing on dropped cars. The rear wheel/tire clearance must be checked on each car.

My plans are to get a 10 or 10.5" wheel that will tuck into the rear fender and allow me to run bigger rear tires.

Last edited:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
No sensors? So when you go lapping the light will be on and you would have full advance trac on with no way of changing to the different settings correct?

I drove my car about 20 miles and didn't have any problem. The fault was a malfunctioning tire pressure system. Advance trac in mode 1 felt the same and was working. I didn't try changing modes.

TJR12

TJR12
Established Member
I have the PF01's in 18x9.5 and 35mm offset, 1/8 inch spacer and the 295 40 18 Hoosier R6 on a completely stock 13 GT500. I had them mounted and briefly drove around yesterday and they appeared to fit well with no rubbing concerns at all. However, the front and rear tires do stick out from the fenders, the front just barely, maybe a quarter inch, and the rears at least 3/4 inch, maybe a full inch. I'll be at the track Tuesday and will report back if they hit the fenders while the suspension is fully compressed at speed in sport mode. I intend on mounting my GoPro to get a perfect view. For me, the whole point of the setup is to be able to easily rotate all four at the track, without dismounting the tire. As long as they don't hit the fender, I could care less if they stick out from the fenders a little (despite the harassment I'm likely to get from my fellow track friends).

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
I have the PF01's in 18x9.5 and 35mm offset, 1/8 inch spacer and the 295 40 18 Hoosier R6 on a completely stock 13 GT500. I had them mounted and briefly drove around yesterday and they appeared to fit well with no rubbing concerns at all. However, the front and rear tires do stick out from the fenders, the front just barely, maybe a quarter inch, and the rears at least 3/4 inch, maybe a full inch. I'll be at the track Tuesday and will report back if they hit the fenders while the suspension is fully compressed at speed in sport mode. I intend on mounting my GoPro to get a perfect view. For me, the whole point of the setup is to be able to easily rotate all four at the track, without dismounting the tire. As long as they don't hit the fender, I could care less if they stick out from the fenders a little (despite the harassment I'm likely to get from my fellow track friends).

Please let us know !! :beer:

NametoShowOther

Established Member
Why do the rears stick out so far, when the tires are so close to the original 285 size? Is it wheel offset, and/or are the Hoosiers much wider for the size?

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Why do the rears stick out so far, when the tires are so close to the original 285 size? Is it wheel offset, and/or are the Hoosiers much wider for the size?

You are correct it's the wheel offset that is needed to accommodate the front brakes.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have CCW CA10s on my boss with the 13 GT500 front brakes. Their 18s have TONS of clearance, it almost looks like I could fit a 16" rotor if one existed.

I run the 10.5s up front and 11s in the back. No clearance issue with the offset that John made them with. They stick out a little but with camber on a lowered car its not very noticeable.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have CCW CA10s on my boss with the 13 GT500 front brakes. Their 18s have TONS of clearance, it almost looks like I could fit a 16" rotor if one existed.

I run the 10.5s up front and 11s in the back. No clearance issue with the offset that John made them with. They stick out a little but with camber on a lowered car its not very noticeable.

Any pics Justin?
-J

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Anybody have any further updates on the 18 in wheels with track tires on a 2013 or 2014 Shelby? Any others that will fit the fronts with 10" or 10.5" wheel width and suitable offsets.

Thanks,

Gord

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
I'm running on the front Enkei PF01 18X9.5 wheel with 35mm offset and 1/8" wheel spacer fits. The rear I use Enkei 18X9.5 45mm offset and 18X10.5 offset 47mm Cortex Only.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Here are some pictures of the wheels installed.
L81_1376.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg
IMG_1030.jpg

Last edited:

1971mach1

Established Member
Beautiful car, I like the cooling ducts for the front brakes, will you tell me about where I can get them. I also track my car. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread