Found a good deal on a 2.8 KB LC.

Rezi

Hello new member here, got my cobra last June 77k miles mild mods , had fun didn't know enough, long story short, should have done more research, ended up hurting it. Did a shit ton more research and now more aware of things for my car now, doing a build on it, the Eaton was steg IV ported, 2.9 pulley stock crank, borla atak old tune.
Posting picture of what I have planned for a good shop here in Oklahoma to do to it also have long tubes 26 spline and rst clutch, was going to keep using the Eaton for a bit then boom this deal pops up.. I know KB is not the 1st choice but damn is it nostalgic. Question is with all I'm doing and not wanting to wait on a crusher unit, seems like this 2.8 KB too good to pass up.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220228-194844_Word.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220228-194844_Word.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 123

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I just got my KB 2.8 brand new. Most will tell you to go whipple 2.3 or VMP Gen3R. I liked the price of the KB. My goal is not to get the fastest time or be the fastest car. I just want room to grow and hit 700wh on E85 at some point and be mainly street driven.

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
Here is my thread. Read through it. Might help…

Rezi

I just got my KB 2.8 brand new. Most will tell you to go whipple 2.3 or VMP Gen3R. I liked the price of the KB. My goal is not to get the fastest time or be the fastest car. I just want room to grow and hit 700wh on E85 at some point and be mainly street driven.
Your thread got me to ask the question lol, but ya same I want a street warrior

Quick Strike

Established Member
I have a KB 2.8 H with similar mods as you are planning. Additionally, I have oversized valves and CNC ported heads. My custom cams are mild by comparison to others and all my emissions equipment and high flow cats are in place. It made 742 RWHP that way with 93 pump gas and Torco. I think you will be fine with the KB.

03' White Snake

Established Member
No complaints with my 2.8KB. I have -5.22 cc pistons, all the same mods, cams etc. I make 822hp on E85 at 22 psi of boost.

You might want to run the CR #’s on your setup. With -7.5 cc pistons, you might be on the edge of running 93. My CR is 10.3 and my tuner won’t tune it for 93. I run E85 all the time.

If 93 is a must for you, you should look at lower CR. If no big deal, add more CR if you are ok with E85 all the time. CR = more power. If I knew I was going to be limited to E85 only, I would have gone flat top pistons.

You will need bigger injectors. I maxed the 80’s at 785hp with base pressure at 60. You need at least 1050x’s to keep the base pressure low and not run out of fuel.

GodStang

Established Member
Well my builder now got me a deal for gen3r for just 1k more... So torn lol , but ya I'll have to use boostane on 91

Remember the TVS is a roots blower and not a twin screw like the KB and Whipple. At lower boost the TVS is great. If you plan to run real boost the heat on the roots blower will be an issue. A bunch of guys jumped on the TVS train around here and the joke is to call dibs on racing them the second run because they will be so heat soaked the power will be gone. Yes you can build good cooling systems or just buy an engineering designed more efficient twin screw blower.

Rezi

The time is coming closer, my order from comp cams finally on the shipping manifest, sheesh, still undecided, i live in Oklahoma so I'm going to have a great cooling system period no matter the blower choice, I guess a good maybe dumb question, which one has less maintenance compared to each other?

2003RedfireVert

Established Member
Either one will be fine for your goals. Pick on you think looks the coolest. You will spend most of your drive time out of boost, and either one will provide the power you want (you wouldn't notice any difference most likely between the two on the street). I chose KB because the deal I got on it.

Users who are viewing this thread