Fox with sn95 cobra/gt brakes; proper master cyl/booster?

nik96

Established Member
I have read a lot of different opinions and write-ups about the proper m/c and booster setup for fox cars with 13" cobra front calipers and sn95 GT rears. I am on the fence about hydroboost but I'm not sure what my traditional options are.

It would be pointless to have upgraded brakes with a hard, useless pedal. Anyone have success with this combination or care to shed some light on what setup they have? Also what is the smalles diameter booster available for maximum clearance?

Currentl setup is '80 notch with SN95 Cobra calipers/ 13" rotors front and stock SN95 GT discs out back.

Thanks! :read:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I've got a 93 cobra Master Cylinder on that brake setup and my brakes feel good. The 94-95GT Master Cylinder works well also I've been told.

nik96

Established Member
What booster are you running? Or is that the 94/95 unit you're referring to...?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Stock booster. 93 cobra MC. I've hard the 94-95GT MC works well also, with the stock booster.

nik96

Established Member
I'm assuming by 'stock' you mean the stock unit in your '92 listed in your sig?

Also, I know there are various different booster sizes/diameters. Do you know the details of various years? Is you '92 large diameter?

The ingine combo in this car will pull 16-18 vacuum easy if that helps.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
By Stock, yes, I mean the stock booster in my 92GT. For your car, I'd probably upgrade, i think the booster in the older foxes is smaller. I don't know the details of the various years though...some of that information might be available on mustanggt.org.

That vacuum range is probably roughly what my car is pulling down now, although I haven't measured it. I can do so later this week if you like, by the time I get home from work tonight it'll be way to late for me to be starting it up.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have the Cobra brakes all around on my '90GT. I have the stock booster, '93 Cobra MC, and factory bias delete.

If you call Maximum Motorsports they can tell you exactly what you need and sell you the parts for it.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I have the Cobra brakes all around on my '90GT. I have the stock booster, '93 Cobra MC, and factory bias delete.

If you call Maximum Motorsports they can tell you exactly what you need and sell you the parts for it.

Yeah our setups are about identical. I need to delete the factory bias though, I haven't done that yet.

nik96

Established Member

Yeah I should; they have probably tested every combination imaginable. You have the bias deleted? So you have equal braking force at all corners? That's pretty crazy without ABS if your car has a lot of power... I spun my old SHO out at about 120 on the freeway with bias plugs and no ABS. ****in' sh*t myself.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Yeah I should; they have probably tested every combination imaginable. You have the bias deleted? So you have equal braking force at all corners? That's pretty crazy without ABS if your car has a lot of power... I spun my old SHO out at about 120 on the freeway with bias plugs and no ABS. ****in' sh*t myself.

When you do this conversion you are supposed to delete it, bu install an aftermarket proportioning valve at the same time. I've put the aftermarket valve in my car, but haven't gotten around to gutting the stock one yet. The front brakes are doing to much work currently, so you definitely want to do this delete.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
^ ahh good to know. Thanks!

No problem. And, when you order your setup read the instructions..lol. I glanced at mine and missed the part where I didn't have to cut/splice lines for the 87-93 cars (but you do for newer stuff) so I cut and flared a line for no reason. I'm going to move my PV later this week, as I've already ordered the plug to gut my stock pv. Thankfully, because the new pv will go in without modification, I can remove the coupler, put the valve in, then replace where I had the valve with the coupler. But, still, it was work I didn't need to do.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Yep, aftermarket valve installed. I still have it fully opened to allow as much pressure to the rear as possible. Brake bias can be controlled with a lot of factors,

rotor diamater
caliper clamping force
pad compounds (very common with OT racers)

Users who are viewing this thread