Front and Rear tire sizes

XP900

Established Member
Any reason why I shouldn't use the rear tire size on the front too. 2010 with stock tire sizes on 19" factory rims. If I recall someone stated the stock size rears will not rub in the front wheel wells. I think it would slightly lower the front and increase the rake a hair.... I think the fronts were 1/4" taller. Since my fronts wore out quickly due to an alignment issue my tire changes are now probably going to be a pair at a time. Swapping between the front and rear would be a nice option.

HKusp

Established Member
The only real issue that I can think of would be the greater tendency to "tram" when driving due to the wider front tires.

SCALILOU

Established Member
Check out Vorshlag website. Lots of good info you're looking for on there. They have run 315 squared set ups on their S197 cars. They've experimented with virtually every combo size and tell you what's possible with different set ups.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
you need something special up front to run 315s, cant recall what at the moment, and run camber. not great for a street car.

really, the widest a street suspension car can run is 295 and thats pushing it. if you put those on 20" wide wheels youre going to have some bulge. not great for the front wheels. i run 285s up front. about to run 10" wide with 285s up front and 11" out back with 325s (would prefer 11.5 but....)

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
for more neutral balanced car you want front to be as wide as rear if possible. especially with the iron block cars. but if you're putting some power down nice fat rear tires is good, for the street.

larger tires up front also helps with cushioning potholes and shitty roads. no problem on hydraulic steering cars though on the electric steering cars i believe it causes minor issues, but nothing major.

285/35/19 is a nice size tire up front. can be on 9, 9.5 or 10" wide wheel, though 9" is a bit narrow imo.

for the rear, go as wide as your wheels can handle.

marsh2o

Established Member
I've been running 285/30-20 Michelins on 10" wheels on the front and 335/30-20 Michelins on 11.5" wheels in the back. The suspension is lowered with KW Variant 3 coilovers and I never removed the bumpstops. When it's only me in the car, the rears never rub. However, if I have a passenger or have anything heavy in the trunk, the tires sometimes rub when I'm driving fast and there's a sudden dip in the road. I've never had any rubbing in the front. I've been running this setup for about 11 years. The key consideration is the wheel offset and I'd be happy to look those numbers up, if anyone is interested. Apex wheels has an excellent tire and wheel fitment guide (https://support.apexraceparts.com/h...5526493-S197-Mustang-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide). They make 18- and 19-inch wheels in a variety of styles and widths, but no 20s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread