Front end clunk?

Dave_C

Established Member
Did a search and there are lot's of threads about front end "clunk" one cars. Many threads seem to veer off into unrelated territory. Just want some informed opinions before I start throwing cash at it.

My car is an 08 GT500. Turned 20K miles today. At speeds less than 35 or so on rough roads it has a "clunk" noise when I hit a bump or hole. At higher speeds or smooth roads it is quiet. It seems to come from the left front. It has the following suspension mods:

struts and shocks
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-shockstrut-0510gt.html
no leaks can be seen on the front struts

lowering springs:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-springs-0712gt500.html

sway bar kit:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-swaybar-kit-0712gt500-coupe.html

It still has the stock strut mounts with green colored studs.

The car still had the original F1 tires on it when purchased 2 weeks ago. The old tires (replaced on day 3) were worn more on the inside with 1 tire starting to show cord, so camber is obviously off. Prob from the lowering springs. 1.25" lower front and rear. I've checked the sway bar end links and they are tight. No play in the lower control arm either ( there is a TSB on that). Cant reproduce the clunk in the garage. Tried to move the front end up and down by pushing on the inner fender to try and get the strut mount to make noise. Front end is so stiff it won't move lol.

The only thing I can see is the rubber on the bottom of the left strut mount (what I can see of it looking up into that area) looks sorta beat up and squished out a little. Thought I would put a new set of strut mounts on it and flip the mounts 180° t help the camber issue. These mounts:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-gt500-strutmount-0512.html

Is this a good place to start? Thoughts?

fullboogie

Established Member
90% of the time it's the strut mounts, which are terrible on these cars. I'm about to go aftermarket because no matter which revision of the strut mount you get, it'll likely clunk. The other possibility, as mentioned, is sway bar end links. I'd check/replace those first since they're the cheapest. Then move on to the strut mounts.

1st usa car

Established Member
sway bar bracket that goes into that frame thingy -- those bolts are self catching when you tighten them --- the clip thingy on the bolts break -- this has happened to me and another member on here. I was able to secure the bolt as i tightened the nut -- make sure the bracket and bolts stay in the slots and do not veer off into the bolt insert holes.

Joewee500

Established Member
Mine does this as well. Makes the car feel like it's 20+ years old. I can feel it in my steering wheel. I need to get around to fixing it.

Imatk

Established Member
It might be the A-Arm bushing... that tends to start failing at higher mileage though. Do you notice it making any noise when you just come to a normal stop?

If so it's likely that... if not then some good suggestions above.

I had a similar issue in the rear, turned out to be a bolt that wasn't torqued properly on the rear sway bar... less of a clunk, but still an annoying noise.

BMR Tech 2

Most people that have messed with the suspension on their Mustangs don't snug the end links up enough, and they end up clunking. I suggest starting with the end links and going from there. 99% of the time, this cures the issue.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
mine did this as well when i put my eibachs/tokicos in. drove me nuts. when i switched to airlift it all went away.

Dave_C

Established Member
Update: Problem solved. Clunk is gone. I put a new pair of strut mounts on today and also tightened the sway bar end links. I think the clunk was a combination of the two. The strut mounts were a little sloppy feeling with some up and down slack action. The swaybar end links were also not tight enough. I bet they were in the neighborhood of 40-45 lb/ft. I put them back to spec at 85 lb/ft and used red Loctite.

While I was at it I flipped the strut mount so the arrow faces in instead of outward. That should help correct the camber, which I'm sure is out of spec due to the lowering springs. Going for an alignment in the morning.

fmylife

Established Member
I would double check the sway bar links, and place some loctite, which fixed mine.
Killed the stock front end links on my '08 after putting on the Hotchkis adjustable front and rears at the tightest setting and had bad clunks. Replaced them with SR performance adjustable end links and no more clunk!

And I see now that the issue was resolved...just wanted to throw in my comment.

Dave_C

Established Member
As a further update. Went to get an alignment today. I know the tech and stood beside him when he put it on the machine. No alignment needed. Flipping the strut mounts so the arrows faced in moved the camber enough that it was right on even with the lowering springs. Spent a tidy sum of $10 for the check since no adjustment was needed.

fullboogie

Established Member
I've had a clunk for years after doing springs, struts and brand new strut mounts. Yesterday I put the front end up in the air and tightened the factory end links. Same popping going up/down my inclined driveway. So I removed one end link and I have less popping, but still have the popping when turning the wheel so I'm sure it's the OEM strut mounts. I'm ordering a set of MM mounts and some new end links tomorrow - I'm tired of the popping.

barspen

Established Member
I've had a clunk for years after doing springs, struts and brand new strut mounts. Yesterday I put the front end up in the air and tightened the factory end links. Same popping going up/down my inclined driveway. So I removed one end link and I have less popping, but still have the popping when turning the wheel so I'm sure it's the OEM strut mounts. I'm ordering a set of MM mounts and some new end links tomorrow - I'm tired of the popping.

Check the front sway bar D-blocks. When I put on my Eibach bar, the D-block did not sit square to the mount location (tough to get a good visual). This drove me bonkers for a few days. Basically, when I transfered weight around a corner, the tension would build up in the bar until it 'popped' and smacked the front control arm. Look for scuffs or paint near the ends of the bar. Also check torque on all links.

Users who are viewing this thread