Front Splitter Question

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
I've looked at a few different GT500s and have noticed a different front splitter on some. Two of them had what looks like a single blade splitter and one had what is best described as a thicker front splitter, looking like it was about 2-3" overall from top to bottom?

The pics below are not the cars I looked at but do have the splitters I'm talking about.
113108d1340240270-2013-splitter-installed-6-20-12-split3.jpg

2013-ford-shelby-gt500-front-end-2-jpg.35385

Were there two different styles installed on the cars back then and if so, what determined whether you get a single blade vs the thicker one (which would seem to be less aerodynamic)?

All three cars I've looked at had the SVT PP so I don't think that's the issue unless maybe someone replaced theirs with a cheaper version?

Just curious.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
The one you're describing as the thicker one is a 3 piece splitter that attaches to the single splitter on the 13/14 Shelby. The 3 piece was added to the 13/14's for extra aero to hit 200mph. The top pic is the factory splitter w/ out the 3 piece Installed

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
The one you're describing as the thicker one is a 3 piece splitter that attaches to the single splitter on the 13/14 Shelby. The 3 piece was added to the 13/14's for extra aero to hit 200mph. The top pic is the factory splitter w/ out the 3 piece Installed

I guess that's why I'm confused because the GT500s I've looked at were all '13s and '14s. Wouldn't all 13's and 14's have the three piece?

03SonicStang

Established Member
The three piece splitter was shipped not attached to the car; I assume clearance issues for transportation. I purchased my 13 with 1500 on the clock and the splitter was still in trunk in its plastic....

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
The three piece splitter was shipped not attached to the car; I assume clearance issues for transportation. I purchased my 13 with 1500 on the clock and the splitter was still in trunk in its plastic....

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the information.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I guess that's why I'm confused because the GT500s I've looked at were all '13s and '14s. Wouldn't all 13's and 14's have the three piece?
The splitter was in the trunk of the 14 I ordered. It went from the trunk to my basement, & has never been on the car.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Even @ stock ride height it can scrape if you're not careful. I opted to go with a single piece carbon fiber splitter when my factory splitters got damaged, it looks much nicer and I now have a lot more clearance

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Even @ stock ride height it can scrape if you're not careful. I opted to go with a single piece carbon fiber splitter when my factory splitters got damaged, it looks much nicer and I now have a lot more clearance
I have the SS CF splitter but want a skid plate made before I install, if I do. I think the 3-piece looks best but yes it's tough to keep clean. Buy a spare while you can, seriously.
-J

Dinosgt

Established Member
I have the SS CF splitter but want a skid plate made before I install, if I do. I think the 3-piece looks best but yes it's tough to keep clean. Buy a spare while you can, seriously.
-J

This.... I ended up buying a spare lower and just leaving it in the box after lunching my lower on a dip in a parking lot. The factory 3 piece is cool, but once you add springs for a drop it's basically over for that sucker. I just run the factory top splitter to avoid the heartache.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Optional brake cooling splitter........

Well not an opinion from Ford but it should have been.
bb80430b0cb24913b621a56e3328a59c.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread