Front suspension puked....

b_dike

Established Member
Ok so I pulled my car in this morning. Walked back out to go to work in my truck, and noticed a sizable oil puddle where my car sat.

So I get home discover it's not motor oil. It's power steering fluid(I think).

Get under the car to see where the leak is coming from.(sry I dont know what all these parts are called), but it is the cross member piece that connects the two tie rods in the center and bolts to the k-member.

Anyway on the top side of the cross-member there is hole with a couple of threads showing. like there is supposed to be a cap or something on it. Above this is the oil filter/pump covered in steering fluid.

It seems that when I started the car whatever it is that goes on those threads burst off and puked fluid all over.

Any ideas on what happened or what goes there.

Sorry for the long read. :shrug:

b_dike

Established Member
Ok did some research and found out the piece I was trying to refer to is the rack/pinion. And according to pics I've seen there is a metal cap that screws onto the opening.

This is where the fluid came from, but there is no trace of the cap in my driveway.

Has this ever happened to any of you guys? Seems a little random/weird.

Jefe

Established Member
That is weird. Must of come off while driving.

This cap on the left? I would try to get a new one from Tousley or Ford. I had to replace my entire rack since my drivers side boot was binding and actually tore a hole and leaked

DSCI0303.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread