FRPP shorty headers don't fit? Do any shorty sets fit?

KingCobra07

Traction is a virtue
Established Member
Hey guys,

So i just got the motor back into the car. I noticed the passenger side FRPP header comes out so far it was over the K member bolt holes, so i left it off and dropped the frame back onto the k. Got everything tightened up, and moved onto the passenger header.

So i moved AC and killer chiller lines up and out of the way. I tried to fit it on, but it doesn't fit. The sweep on the front 2 ports contacts the frame. It contacts the frame to the point that i can't even line it up with the head to make the flange sit flat on the head. Is there some magic reason i got a good deal on these shorty manifolds? I think ford racing would have gotten bashed if this was a normal occurance?

Does anyone know any shorts headers that for sure fit the GT500? I've seen lethal still sells JBA but I'm not too sure about the sweep they have either.

Any info is much appreciated!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys,

So i just got the motor back into the car. I noticed the passenger side FRPP header comes out so far it was over the K member bolt holes, so i left it off and dropped the frame back onto the k. Got everything tightened up, and moved onto the passenger header.

So i moved AC and killer chiller lines up and out of the way. I tried to fit it on, but it doesn't fit. The sweep on the front 2 ports contacts the frame. It contacts the frame to the point that i can't even line it up with the head to make the flange sit flat on the head. Is there some magic reason i got a good deal on these shorty manifolds? I think ford racing would have gotten bashed if this was a normal occurance?

Does anyone know any shorts headers that for sure fit the GT500? I've seen lethal still sells JBA but I'm not too sure about the sweep they have either.

Any info is much appreciated!
Why not just do Long tubes?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If you had early version of the FRRP headers there was some slight modification to the driver side area but everything should clear
Do you have any pics?

KingCobra07

Traction is a virtue
Established Member
20191015_185922_zpsbivp1y00.jpg

Here they are on my table
20191206_195738_zpslrcyhifp.jpg

Heres the best picture i have of the passenger header. Hard to tell but the thing stuck out all the way equal with where the K member bolts slip through, hence the removal of it before i put the motor in.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
View attachment 1618517
Here they are on my table
View attachment 1618518
Heres the best picture i have of the passenger header. Hard to tell but the thing stuck out all the way equal with where the K member bolts slip through, hence the removal of it before i put the motor in.

So you haven't tried to put it in the car yet? It does stick out but should clear the strut towers, if the kmember is mounted square. On my 2008 gt500 i had to have the oil cooler brackets modified if i remember correctly. That was the only problem i remember with mine.

KingCobra07

Traction is a virtue
Established Member
Yes, i did cut part of the oil cooler bracket on the drivers side that held the hardline in place.

And no, motor is now in the car, just posting the pictures i have of the header on the motor from a few weeks ago.

Problem is very specific. The header contacts the frame rail to the point that the flange will not sit flush with the head. Need different shorty's or gotta figure out what the heck is going on.

Willie

Established Member
Is your motor lowered? Mine is lowered 3/4" and the passenger side header would not even lie flush to the head without modification....

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yes, i did cut part of the oil cooler bracket on the drivers side that held the hardline in place.

And no, motor is now in the car, just posting the pictures i have of the header on the motor from a few weeks ago.

Problem is very specific. The header contacts the frame rail to the point that the flange will not sit flush with the head. Need different shorty's or gotta figure out what the heck is going on.

The FRPP shorty's fit in my 2008 with no mods on the passenger side.

R

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Something is not lined up properly. It should clear.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I agree. FRPP shorties fit my '09 just fine. Minor tweaking on the driver side but passenger side was fine.

From the writeup I did...

"Of note - the passenger side FRPP header flows over the framerail before redirecting to the collector. In other words, you couldn't drop this engine straight down if you wanted to. There was no additional room in the mount bracket slots to bias the engine towards the driver side either as I was all the way against the end of the slot with the mount stud. There was only about 1/4" of clearance between one of the tubes and the body/frame rail. I've seen posts where some have complained that the headers rattled against the car when the engine was torqued over and that the solution was to place a washer at the mount to slightly elevate the engine. I chose to not do that at this point."

https://www.svtperformance.com/thre...the-discontinued-frpp-shorty-headers.1037985/

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
How much lower is your engine over stock? Based on Tob's comments, if you lowered the engine a 1/2" or so, you will be closer to sheetmetal.

KingCobra07

Traction is a virtue
Established Member
So its the stock height BMR K member. I loosened the engine mount, slid it with a 2x4 towards the driver side as far as it would go, then loosened the k and slid that to the driver as far as it would go. This let me bolt the header up, but the back portion of it still made contact with the rail.

Last night i bought some thick M10 stainless fender washers and slid them between the k mount and the block mount. This lifted it about another quarter inch, so I've got a slight amount of clearance now with the frame rail.

Tob, have you has any AC issues with the header being that close to your lines? That connection is where the drag portion of my killer chiller ties in. Even tho these are ceramic coated the lines are a little too close for comfort.

Has anyone ever seen the JBA's installed on a car? May be worth the piece of mind to sell these and swap out, as long as they don't have the same sweep over the rail.

Totalpkg

Established Member
Cleveland,OH, USA or Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Quote from Tob's post:

'At some point a couple or so years ago, Ford Racing decided they wouldn’t be ordering anymore from Watson. I’ve never seen official commentary as to why they were killed but I do believe that every set made was sold, not without issue however. Early sets were plagued with fitment issues resulting in a number of them being returned to Ford Racing. I remembered reading complaints on various forums about this. And while I never saw any announcement of it being made, FRPP and Watson issued a revised header early in production. Apparently there was “extreme dislike for manufacturing this header because of its difficulty (clamshell collector style) and the fact that none of the GT500’s being built had engines installed in the same location – up to over ¼”+ variance from one car to the next.” I was told that “There are no markers on the headers for revision changes. The revision was to the passenger side manifold potentially making contact with the frame rail.” It was also mentioned that when I install the set I had, that if they were close to the rail to “loosen up the two motor mounts and bias the motor to the driver side. It should move enough.” '

You probably got one of the early production model headers.

Last edited:

KingCobra07

Traction is a virtue
Established Member
I feel like I've got a few too many mods and these headers are more for a 100% stock car. Ordered up some titanium ceramic JBA's. Fingers crossed they fit without drastic adjustment. (And that i can get them on with the motor in the car)

Users who are viewing this thread