• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

FRPP/Whipple kit content and install on '09 GT500

Discussion in 'SVT Shelby GT500' started by Tob, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Tob

Tob Salut! Staff Member Super Moderator

THE WHY

Not long after I purchased my 2009 GT500, I soon realized why so many were taking it a step further. When it comes to excess, there is simply never enough. I thought the FRPP CAI kit would hold me over. It made a small difference in seat of the pants but that was about it. I was however, rather impressed with how FRPP handled the tune and I liked how well the ProCal worked.

So I started saving for a FRPP TVS kit. I thought that 605 HP would be as far as I'd ever push it. In the meantime, I watched many go the Whipple 2.9 (etc) route, albeit with custom 3rd party tuning. So when FRPP released part number M-6066-MSVT29C I bailed. An FRPP tune with a 2.9 blower? Beyond additional cost, it was a no brainer for me.

THE WHEN

I ordered the kit through Buyfordracing (over the phone) on the morning of 8/24/10. The kit was in my posession by 9/2/10, via Yellow Freight from California. It took eight business days for a build to order blower kit to be put together, and shipped freight from California to New York. Impressive.

THE WHAT

To date, I've only seen one write up, an article from MM&FF and it was on a 2010 GT500. The article didn't satisfy my curiosity as to the kit and its contents.

I'm here to try to change that.:coolman:

To start...kudos to Whipple and their packaging department. The kit neatly tucked into the toughest cardboard box I've ever seen. You aren't going to rip this one open by accident.

IMG_7038.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

There is a form fitting foam packing surrounding everything. Raising the foam off reveals pure mechanical ecstasy.

IMG_7041.jpg

My concern with the kit from the beginning was how FRPP/Whipple were going to address the two different air filter housings between '07-'09 and '10-'11 years. Would the heretofore standard housing be included in the kit? No. Whipple includes the '10-'11 system for use across the board, dressed to allow fitment of a massive filter and a simply gargantuan cast aluminum mass air meter housing.

IMG_7044.jpg

IMG_7043.jpg

IMG_7042.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg

IMG_7051.jpg

I was informed by someone at Whipple that they would be including a "plug" for the large opening on the side of the housing that is used by stock '10-'11 cars, since '07-'09 GT500's aren't set up to use it.

IMG_7090.jpg

My kit didn't include the plug and I've verified with one other recent kit recipient that he didn't receive one either. I'll contact Whipple, since the oblong hole is a bit large and I really want to be exacting with this install. The hole...

IMG_7045.jpg

The rest of the intake system - the tapered oval mass air to throttle body tube...

IMG_7055.jpg

IMG_7056.jpg

Flexible silicone tubing and clamps

IMG_7054.jpg

It quickly gets serious

IMG_7071.jpg

IMG_7074.jpg

IMG_7078.jpg

IMG_7084.jpg

Saving the best for last...the supporting hardware, etc...

IMG_7070.jpg

IMG_7069.jpg

IMG_7066.jpg

IMG_7063.jpg

IMG_7058.jpg

Lubricant for the blower. Has the consistency of water.

IMG_7067.jpg

The modified pump assembly

IMG_7091.jpg

IMG_7092-1.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  2. Tob

The dossier...

IMG_7080.jpg

IMG_7085.jpg

Voucher ID numbers removed to protect my pocketbook...

IMG_7086.jpg

Curious about kit parts origins? Whipple includes a "pull sheet" which shows (among others) where the fuel pump is from...

IMG_7089.jpg

IMG_7083.jpg

IMG_7082.jpg

IMG_7081.jpg

THE BIG MAMMY :)

First - the casting finish, machine work, hardware, assembly, are absolutely first rate. I laid it on the table, pulled up a chair and stared at it for a good ten minutes without blinking. My wife saw me and thought I had a stroke. An epiphany was more like it.

IMG_7103.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

IMG_7108.jpg

IMG_7110.jpg

IMG_7111.jpg

IMG_7116.jpg

Phew. Anyone else need a cigarette?

Installation to come (awaiting ProCal tuner and tune).

Tob

3. Colleton

Colleton Member Established Member

Very cool! Please do let us know how the install goes.

4. RedlineHP

RedlineHP New Member Established Member

Tob
    Thanks, I've been wanting to see what the complete kit contained. Looking forward to following with the install and running impressions.:burnout:

Now what was "reason" you told your better half, that you needed this...:poke:

5. Blayne9067

Blayne9067 New Member

Nice looking kit! Can't wait to read about your install and see pix of the bad boy installed.

Blayne

6. camdenlake

camdenlake New Member Established Member

Great pics. Quailty looks awsome. Good to know. Cant wait to see the install.

:pop:

Josh

7. 03 KB Sonic Blue

03 KB Sonic Blue New Member Established Member

Cant wait to see the final install!!!

Im curious tho since you bought it through Ford racing does it keep your factory warranty? I would think yes but anything is possible.

EDIT: Nevermind just reread link and said warranty was N/A.

So what the advantage with doing with Ford racing over say Lethal's kit then?

8. Tob

Advantage? I'm not sure if that is the proper term. I look at it this way, the engine in these cars is very expensive (complete, anyway). While I have no problem pushing a Windsor to block splitting heights, I'm going to err heavily on the side of caution with this one. And while Justin and Jon Lund are at the top of their game, I'm going to stick to factory (FRPP) parameters. As Dustin from Whipple put it (with regards to their latest 5.0 offering)...

From here.

Bottom line - I really feel comfortable using the ProCal. Nobody has more resources than Dev at FRPP when it comes to calibration work. For a good explanation...

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/catalogs/Ford_Racing_Calibration_2009_Article.pdf

Tob

9. Tob

Studying the parts and reading through the detailed instructions, I notice a couple of things...

- Page 15 of 35

(STEP) 32. DO NOT INSTALL DOWEL PINS, they are not needed for proper installation.

Kind of like being told "Do not push the red button". I'd like an answer as to why, but there is no explanation given. I'm wondering if it has to do with step 38...

Is it because you can't slide the assembly into place if the dowels are inserted? Then how the hell did these guys manage to do it?

[​IMG]

So while I take the included directions as Gospel, I'd still like an explanation. What are you guys that have installed 2.9's (etc) doing?

- Where is the Fuel Pump relay on '07-'09 cars and is it readily identifiable? Just asking now before I dive in, as much as it may be in a simple and in your face location.

- Page 22 of 35

(STEP) 72. Gap supplied spark plugs to .025 inch.

Once again, the MM&FF article shows a bigger gap...

[​IMG]

So which is it?

- The included fuel pump looks to be missing something.

There are two tubes that run vertically up the pump, one on each side. One has a spring on it and the other is encase in black corrugated tubing. Look at the bottom of each. One has a plastic cap or stopper, while the other doesn't.

IMG_7096.jpg

IMG_7095.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

You can physically compress the pump (hence the spring) to allow for some plunge in the unit, ergo, the unit can move vertically relative to the tank bottom. Without a limiting cap on the one side, the unit can **** slightly. If the one cap failed, the bottom of the pump could slide down and rest on the tank bottom, atop the pump screens.

I looked closely at the pump photo from the MM&FF article and it has only one cap as well, but it is located on the opposite tube...

[​IMG]

I guess I'll find out how the OE pump handles it when I remove it but it has piqued my interest.

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if any of you 2.9 guys if you have any suggestions/information.

Tob

On edit - I can't use the work "c o c k" in the above description regarding the pump? Jeez!

10. 91svtbird

91svtbird New Member Established Member

Good sound advice from Dustin , you made the right decision to go with the FRPP Pro Cal tune IMO. All the best with the new W 2.9 kit from Ford Racing Tob. :thumbsup:

11. Tob

Thanks, George. As much as others may consider the 3.4 or the 4.0 a better move, the 2.9 fits nicely into my overall plan for a well rounded vehicle.

My new ProCal tune didn't make it through the mail today so it looks like I'll be waiting until next week, for that portion of the install anyway. So I went out and broke out the ProCal I have to remove the FRPP CAI tune and restore it back to stock before I start with the kit.

IMG_7126.jpg

It literally took less than two minutes to plug it in and revert back to the OE GT500 tune.

IMG_7134.jpg

IMG_7139.jpg

The FRPP CAI kit has served me well, being married to the car since driving it home from the dealer. The system was used for a little over 1,000 miles. I'll box it up and sell it to somebody that can enjoy it like I did. Farewell.:rockon:

IMG_7120.jpg

Tob

12. 09Troublemaker

09Troublemaker " That don't sound stock" Established Member

keeping an eye on this 1
    :pop:

13. doublex

doublex First Blown 'Stang Established Member

Subscribed! :pop:

14. Grey03

Grey03 Active Member Established Member

:read::dancenana:

15. Willie2

Willie2 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

interesting. your blower came with a 3.0 pulley and mine came with a 3.25. ordered mine through leathal. have fun with the install, take your time and you will feel good knowing you did it.

oh, you are going to have hours of "fun" with that egr tube....

16. svt boost

svt boost Dr. Boost Established Member

wierd about the 3.0 pulley...I think that is for the 10+?

17. Willie2

Willie2 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

can you just leave that oval plug off? would it hurt anything to have more air flowing to the filter? or is it hot, engine air?

18. svt1111

svt1111 New Member Established Member

TOB,

I believe the reason for the omission of the dowel pins is to enable the installer the choice of being able to start threading the back bolts in place first, thus sliding the slotted blower holes under the bolt heads, in order to gain access with a wrench to begin tightening them later. Its because of the huge plenum that they do this, where on a stock blower you can access them easily. If the blower used the dowel pins, you'd then be forced to try and get the bolts started on your own, under the plenum, which is pretty hard.

A group of my friends installed my 2.9 for me. I got to the shop after they had already gotten the blower on the lower intake manifold, and I was curious about the dowel pins too. That's when the fun started trying to get the back bolt ( driver's side) tightened down.

It would make sense to introduce a ratcheting wrench that woult fit under the plenum so Whipple installers could have an easier time tightening that bolt!

By the way, the 3.25" pulley is the standard pulley. The 3.0" is optional ( no extra charge). 3.0" is said to make around 17-18 psi. That is what I chose on mine.

I noticed the kit does not include an injector upgrade, rather a fuel pump upgrade instead? That is a little curious to me, since I thought the stock injector was nearing full duty cycle around 590-600 rwhp. Maybe I was mistaken?
    Good luck, and looking forward to getting your first impressions of the drive.

19. scmustangs

scmustangs Member Established Member

My 2.9 came with a 3.25 pulley, just got a 3.00 to replace it. I installed an EGR delete, the tube was against the firewall when I bolted it to my Dynatech headers.

20. stkjock

stkjock Corn Powered 900 HP! Established Member

cool deal, enjoy the power man, funny that blower looks small to me... but then again.. I'm spoiled