FRPP/Whipple kit content and install on '09 GT500

VegasMichael

Established Member
^Guilty, Tob.
I'm in the research stage now, though. KB vs TVS vs Whipple.
I've been convinced that doing the whole sc upgrade at once with cai, pulley, tune, etc. is wi$er than doing it piecemeal since an sc upgrade is the goal anyway.
But coming from someone who once had to take a day off from work to hook up a vcr I doubt the install will be undertaken by myself. Yet, the vcr was a long time ago and I'm more mechanically inclined now...? ;)

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I respect your ability to be honest and self-deprecating.

If FRPP came out with an EO'd new style TVS kit (complete with Procal tune, etc), I'd be all over that were I to do this again. A TVS install on a 5.4/5.8 is rather simple, especially when compared to a Whipple. Then again (in my view) nothing looks as sinister as the Whipple.

If you don't have to worry about emissions testing I'd strongly consider on of VMP's TVS kits. Even with emissions testing and depending on your locale, you may not have an issue with a non-exempt kit, such as one of Justin's.

Good luck whatever you decide.

TexasRoe

Devil Dog
Established Member
Damn it. I just spent the last 2 hrs of my life reading this. Im still holding out for a '13 TVS EO compliant ford product since I may get stationed back in Cali. Great write up and information. I think I might be stalking your car this forum since it seems we have similiar driving styles.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Anything I can help you with Roe - just ask. I'm glad the time you spent reading this thread proved to be worthwhile.

LizardGT500

Established Member
Beautiful write up Tob. It make install much easier as FRPP guide is no help at all...
I am a bit confused thought.
Please have a look at the pictures attached.
I have 2009 gt500 and doing this install just now.
The first one is the shot of the place where the famous bolt located. The bolt it self is not an issue though. How the heck the bypass activated? The manual doesn't say anything about it and your writeup states that the original line has to be terminated by plastic plug. In my case the valve itself is plugged by protection cap and there is another port that is not mentioned anywhere...
attachment.php

And second question.
What is this connector for?
attachment.php

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I don't have access to my desktop at the moment and my droid isn't displaying the photos for whatever reason. I may not be able to respond until late tonight or tomorrow morning...

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Jack, that site came up in Russian and trying to convert it to English didn't help much. Can you upload your photos to photobucket (etc)?

Lizard said:
How the heck the bypass activated? The manual doesn't say anything about it and your writeup states that the original line has to be terminated by plastic plug. In my case the valve itself is plugged by protection cap and there is another port that is not mentioned anywhere...

Study the original vacuum hose assembly. The included plug gets inserted where I put it (then covered it with orange silicone).

IMG_7260.jpg

IMG_7261.jpg

LizardGT500

Established Member
Sorry, that's probably 'cause I've deleted 'em. Will try again.
I have no problem plugging the old line. I actually removed the line completely, and plugged one of 3 ports of 90 degree adapter. As I understand, frpp screwed up. And did not connected bypass line, so I had to use the old line to do so.
Now one thing that still a mystery for me. What is the purpose of that 90 DG plastic female cooling. Do not have the packing list on hand but I think it's #16.
attachment.php

attachment.php

LizardGT500

Established Member
Also having problem with EGR. The valve would seat too high with new pipe and cannot be pushed into position where I could start the screws...(

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You almost have to do a dry run with the EGR tube, rotating it a little each way to see where it lines up best. I agree, it can be a real PIA, but it'll fit. Just take your time and be prepared to walk away for a few minutes if frustration starts getting the better of you. You'll get it!

LizardGT500

Established Member
Any idea on that 90dg plastic coupling?
U have almost the same on your picture.
IMG_7058.jpg

Last edited:

LizardGT500

Established Member
Thanks Tob, definetely your thread was a big help.
As you said I have finally managed to fit EGR in place but I had to use my plasma torch to bend it back and forward.

LizardGT500

Established Member
Yep. Loading the tune while punching the text)
That wouldn't be me, if I hadn't some problems with the pump)))
Will post some pics later. I am sure someone would benefit from them.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If you can fit that pump in there without damaging it you could probably deliver a baby.

Good luck with it as the grief is all worth it once you turn the key.

Users who are viewing this thread