Frustrated

trafficman337

Established Member
I will apologize in advance for the rant. I ordered my car in February. The order was pulled and the car was issued a VIN very quickly. The car was built in April, quality checked and shows to be shipped as of 4/30. There was an ETA between 5/16 and 5/22. On 4/30, the car was shipped to a rail yard very close to the factory. It has sat there, ever since. The rail company won't ship the car until there are at least 14 there and are ready to go. So, with the chip fiasco, there are only 5 there ready to ship. The car has a possibility of sitting in this rail yard through June. My dealer has a zone rep looking into this, but I am not holding my breath. So, I guess I should be shopping for a good rail dust remover. Completely frustrated. The thing is built and ready to go, but now collecting as much dust as it can. UGHHHHHHHHH.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Patience is a virtue. Things happen. I was a part of the preorder long wait on the 07 Shelby's. Months of waiting we got pregnant. Just before delivery the family friend car salesman talked me out of the purchase. It was the best decision at th time. It will be fine and clean up fine, or you simply don't buy it. Enjoy

trafficman337

Established Member
Patience is a virtue. Things happen. I was a part of the preorder long wait on the 07 Shelby's. Months of waiting we got pregnant. Just before delivery the family friend car salesman talked me out of the purchase. It was the best decision at th time. It will be fine and clean up fine, or you simply don't buy it. Enjoy

Thanks, really appreciate it.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You may want to touch base with the dealership, suggest they don't let the prep / clean team grind the dust into the paint, you'll clean it yourself..

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
+1 on not allowing the dealer to clean the car. My 2020 arrived filthy, luckily I told them not to touch a thing when it arrived. I'm almost positive they would've just run it through their car automatic carwash and scratched the crap out of it, instead I gave it a proper 2 bucket wash and removed all the plastic myself.

trafficman337

Established Member
Good Morning Everyone. First and foremost, thanks for all of your input and ideas. I called my dealer yesterday and they have the zone rep involved. They are trying to get the car picked up out of the lot by truck and avoid the whole waiting game for additional cargo. If they can do that, the car will be trucked directly to the dealership. I have given them plenty of notice not to do a thing to the car once it arrives, I will handle the clean up. According to the person I talked to at the rail yard late yesterday, some of the cars there will be there until possibly August, waiting for others to be built. I am going to wait until June 1 to see what the status is, if it is still in limbo, I may cancel and start shopping for an in stock unit somewhere else. Thanks again for all of the input.

blue 07

Established Member
I work with over 80 Ford dealers in New England115 or so in Conn. Let me know which dealer it is and I can see if I can help you.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is a common issue right now. Wouldn't surprise me if it's missing a chip or two as it sits there.

trafficman337

Established Member
This is a common issue right now. Wouldn't surprise me if it's missing a chip or two as it sits there.
Interesting enough, I was thinking the same thing. I was also told this morning the car was released for shipping, so I am assuming it was completely built. All dressed up and no where to go!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting enough, I was thinking the same thing. I was also told this morning the car was released for shipping, so I am assuming it was completely built. All dressed up and no where to go!

That doesn't mean it is fully built and ready to go.

I have trucks that were built in Dearborn, shipped to KC, and are waiting on chips at the railyard.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sucks that you're having to deal with this, but you're for sure not the only one. It will get worse before it gets better.

Snoopy49

Established Member

When I talked to the lady at the railyard, she told me that 3 of the cars on my list, including @trafficman337, where waiting for a full railcar going in there direction, there are 14 cars in a railcar. She also told me that Ford is using there lot for storage of unfinished trucks/suvs that are waiting on chips. None of the Mustangs that have been released for shipment are involved with the chip shortage. Ford didn't continue production at Flat Rock like the truck/suv plants did.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When I talked to the lady at the railyard, she told me that 3 of the cars on my list, including @trafficman337, where waiting for a full railcar going in there direction, there are 14 cars in a railcar. She also told me that Ford is using there lot for storage of unfinished trucks/suvs that are waiting on chips. None of the Mustangs that have been released for shipment are involved with the chip shortage. Ford didn't continue production at Flat Rock like the truck/suv plants did.

Interesting.

I was under the assumption the Mustang was shipped to his local yard already, it definitely makes sense that they won't release a railcar that isn't full.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Interesting.

I was under the assumption the Mustang was shipped to his local yard already, it definitely makes sense that they won't release a railcar that isn't full.

Hi Nick,
The plant started using a new status early last year, "In Transit-Shipped from Plant" this meant that the car was shipped by truck to a nearby automotive railyard to be shipped rail. The reason for this was the railyard at Flat Rock was having problems due to the plant closures associated with Covid 19. Now they are using it because of the lack of vehicles at Flat Rock due to the chip shortage, there just aren't enough cars to fill a railcar. The problem is, the railyards they shipped them to have the same problem. They can't mix cars and trucks/suv's in the same railcar and all the vehicles have to be Fords.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread