Frying Pan Into the Fire -- Chip Shortage

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
SVTp. Just managed to get an EVGA 3080 from EVGA queue. What should I do with this brand new 3070? I feel like it will appreciate in value at this point.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm waiting for a watercooled 3090... My 980ti's did good, but I want all the frames on Flight Simulator.

SVTp. Just managed to get an EVGA 3080 from EVGA queue. What should I do with this brand new 3070? I feel like it will appreciate in value at this point.

As for the 3070, have it mine some Etherium for a month with the 3080. my cousin is getting nearly 90h on his 3080 alone after I undervolted and overclocked it. My 980Tis do 6h combined... My laptop has a 2070 and does 22h. Only the laptop makes enough to justify running due to power costs. it uses 90w, the 980tis do 250w, ontop of the rest of my system ~400w with the cpu idle, but gpus cranked.

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I've got a 2060 sitting here, and just sold the 3070 for a dumb price locally. Would've taken well over a year to get the money back out of that card. 3080 shows up today and I only paid 900 bucks for it (thanks EVGA).

I am seriously looking at mining ETH with both cards. I have a spare B450 board and Ryzen 2600 sitting here. Spare ram. Spare PSU. Just need a case.

shurur

Established Member
I've got a 2060 sitting here, and just sold the 3070 for a dumb price locally. Would've taken well over a year to get the money back out of that card. 3080 shows up today and I only paid 900 bucks for it (thanks EVGA).

I am seriously looking at mining ETH with both cards. I have a spare B450 board and Ryzen 2600 sitting here. Spare ram. Spare PSU. Just need a case.

Ha..your "spare" is my new system..

Fat Boss

Established Member
I got Applied Materials 3/8/21 @ $112.83....boom
AMAT

(I think it will split in the next year)

It turned out to be a GREAT entry point. Well bought, currently sitting at $141.52 on Good Friday. I'm pretty happy about my 500 shares of LRCX jumping $44/share yesterday. :D

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Global chip shortage prolonged by fab pauses is now hitting consumer electronics

Last week, research firm IHS Markit estimated that the global chip shortage could cost automakers 1.3M production vehicles in the second quarter and that the shortage could stretch into Q4, one quarter later than previously estimated. The shortage was recently worsened by weather-related production pauses in Austin, Texas, for foundry giant Samsung (OTC:SSNNF,OTC:SSNLF) and auto chip players Infineon (OTCQX:IFNNY) and NXP Semiconductor (NASDAQ:NXPI). Auto chip company Renesas (OTCPK:RNECF) also announced that its recent fab fire will likely keep the affected production offline for up to three months.

The automotive industry continues to pause production lines due to the shortage, but the problem has also moved out into high demand consumer electronics. Reports had previously suggested that Qualcomm components were starting to feel the pressure. Samsung's Austin fab produced The reports were backed up last week when Foxconn warned that an unspecified consumer electronics "materials shortage" could stretch into next year.

The global semiconductor shortage will ease, but the timing for the recovery keeps getting pushed back due to the supply chain complexities and an industry-wide reliance on one foundry.

Adding capacity to address the shortage

Dominant global foundry TSMC (NYSE:TSM) recently revealed plans to invest $100B over the next three years to expand its chip production capacity. But adding capacity takes time along with the financial investment. Production of advanced semiconductors also takes an average of 12 to 16 weeks from order to shipping in the best of circumstances.

Automotive AI chips, SoCs, and GPUs used in advanced driver-assistance and infotainment systems all have a high exposure to TSMC. Broadly-used microcontrollers also have very high TSMC exposure with the foundry producing about 70% of all automotive MCUs. The bottlenecks in these areas can't ease until TSMC has enough production capacity to go around.

DRAM flash, which appears in vehicle ADAS and infotainment systems, has a low TSMC exposure. The market is led by Samsung and Micron (NASDAQ:MU), which have their own fabs. As mentioned, Samsung is having its own capacity issues worsened by the recent Texas production pause, though production has returned to near normal levels. Last week, Micron forecast $9B capex for 2021 and said it would stick to "disciplined" capex despite the severe DRAM shortage.

Fab-lite models drove TSMC reliance

Why does TSMC handle so much production for so many other companies, including those who have in-house production capabilities? Over the past two decades, more semi companies have embraced a "fab-lite" model, which often includes outsourcing the more expensive advanced process nodes for things like MCUs to TSMC.

Automotive chip leaders Renesas, NXP, and Infineon all outsource at least part of their advanced MCU production to TSMC. Peers Microchip (NASDAQ:MCHP) and STMicroelectronics (StM) are exceptions with the former relying on multiple foundries and the latter mostly relying on in-house production. But those two companies only represent about 12% combined of automotive MCU production, according to an IHS Markit white paper.

Prolonged shortage

MCU lead times had been pushed out to 26 weeks even before the recent foundry setbacks. The recovery will remain complicated, involving numerous parts of the semi supply chain, even if there aren't further setbacks.

Fat Boss

Established Member
As someone who spent years and years in manufacturing engineering at both Applied and Lam, I can attest that you can't just crank up the ability to produce the etching, deposition, lithography, and packaging tools overnight. It's going to be years before the market gets back into equilibrium.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
It turned out to be a GREAT entry point. Well bought, currently sitting at $141.52 on Good Friday. I'm pretty happy about my 500 shares of LRCX jumping $44/share yesterday. :D

500 shares? :eek:

(best Foghorn Leghorn voice)...I say excuse me son.....if my math is correct, that is over $319,000!

E

Fat Boss

Established Member
500 shares? :eek:

(best Foghorn Leghorn voice)...I say excuse me son.....if my math is correct, that is over $319,000!

E

Crazy, right? Technically I don't own it all yet, since a lot vests over the next year or two. I started back at Lam just over two years ago and they gave me $80k (at about $180/share) of it as part of my signing bonus. After each year, I got about $45k of it as part of my yearly bonus. We also have a stock purchase plan, and next month I get to buy $12k dollars worth of shares at $199.

It doesn't suck to be at the right place at the right time, having the right experience, and knowing the right people. Currently I'm a Senior Staff Technical Program Manager running R&D and New Product Engineering projects, which is the equivalent of a Senior Engineering Manager. In the past I was a Manufacturing Engineer, Machinist, Materials Manager, Production Control Manager, Senior Buyer, and Planner.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Auto chip giant Renesas shifts production from fire damaged plant
  • Renesas (OTCPK:RNECF,OTCPK:RNECY) will shift some of its lost production from the fire damaged facility in northeast Japan to its own fabs in the southeast prefecture of Ehime, according to public broadcaster NHK.
  • The fire disrupted production of advanced 300mm semiconductor wafers. Damage to equipment was worse than initially expected, and Renesas warned that it could take up to three months to get those lines back in operation.
  • Renesas already outsources some production to foundry giant TSMC, but the global chip shortage has TSMC running at full capacity and unable to quickly step in to help.
  • Renesas produces about one-third of the global supply of microcontroller units for the auto industry.

shurur

Established Member
That combo is great. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 2600. If I didn't get a 5600x I wouldn't of left her behind
It replaced a 2001 AMD athlon xp single processor running on 32 bit ubuntu..but I just surf the net.
Still, I am going frame that uP chip.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Tesla sees delays with Model S and Model X deliveries
  • Tesla (TSLA -2.2%) is still having some issues producing new Model S and Model X vehicles or getting them ready for deliveries, reports Electrek.
  • "Many Tesla buyers who placed orders early after the new Model S was launched are seeing their estimated delivery dates pushed back by a few months. Most of them had March and April estimated delivery dates, but they have now been pushed to a May-July timeframe," updates Fred Lambert.
  • During Q1, Model 3 and Model Y deliveries were 183K, while Model S and Model X deliveries were 2K.
  • It's unclear what exactly might be causing the delays. A global chip shortage is impacting production broadly in the auto sector.
  • Read more details about the global chip shortage.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
MacBooks, iPad production postponed due to chip shortage, Nikkei says
  • Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) MacBooks and iPad production have been postponed due to the global chip storage, according to a Nikkei Asia report.
  • The chip shortages have caused delays in MacBook production, specifically the mounting of components on printed circuit boards before finally assembly, according to the report. Some iPad assembly has been delayed due to a shortage of displays and display components.
  • Because of the delays, Apple has pushed back a portion of component orders for the devices into 2H from 1H, the report says.
  • Recall March 30, Apple assembler Foxconn warned that a consumer electronic supply chain shortage could stretch until 2022.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
General Motors extends some production halts due to chip shortage
  • General Motors (GM -1.6%) is temporarily extending shutdowns at several plants in North America due to the ongoing chip shortage that is disrupting the global automotive industry.
  • The temporary plant closures are for several additional weeks for plants that have already been idled due to the parts shortage and include some new plants.
  • The automaker has already factored in a $1.5B to $2.0B hit to operating profit this year from the lost production.
  • GM's statement: "We continue to work closely with our supply base to find solutions for our suppliers’ semiconductor requirements and to mitigate impact on GM."
  • Analysts expect GM to churn up $5.23 in EPS this year.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
General Motors extends some production halts due to chip shortage
  • General Motors (GM -1.6%) is temporarily extending shutdowns at several plants in North America due to the ongoing chip shortage that is disrupting the global automotive industry.
  • The temporary plant closures are for several additional weeks for plants that have already been idled due to the parts shortage and include some new plants.
  • The automaker has already factored in a $1.5B to $2.0B hit to operating profit this year from the lost production.
  • GM's statement: "We continue to work closely with our supply base to find solutions for our suppliers’ semiconductor requirements and to mitigate impact on GM."
  • Analysts expect GM to churn up $5.23 in EPS this year.
Today was the first day to order a 2022 Camaro and I built one out and submitted the order. Between the chip shortage, the factory shut down, and super limited allocation for the ZL1 1LE, I really hope it gets pushed through. I don't really care when it gets built as long as it gets built and I receive it.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
GM to cut overtime weekend shifts at two U.S. truck plants over chip shortage
  • General Motors (NYSE:GM) will cut overtime production this weekend at two U.S. assembly plants that produce its highly profitable full-size pickups due to the ongoing semiconductor chip shortage, CNBC reports.
  • The affected plants in Flint, Mich., and Fort Wayne, Ind., produce a mix of GM's full-size pickups, including Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 models.
  • This is the first time GM has cut production shifts for its full-size pickups due to the ongoing chip shortage, according to the report.
  • In an attempt to prioritize chips for the pickups and its full-size SUVs, GM has significantly cut production at its car and crossover plants in North America.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yep, it's an industry wide issue now. I read this new yesterday. It's actually been an issue for months.

Users who are viewing this thread