Frying Pan Into the Fire -- Chip Shortage

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I think the Asian chip producers are favoring the hometown boys with Ford and GM hanging in the breeze.

From what I've heard it's more that the Asian OEMs, particularly Toyota and Honda, that didn't cancel or scale back their orders when the pandemic hit in the interest of supply chain integrity. The North American OEMs did scale back to keep the supply chain lean, and were caught with their pants down when demand skyrocketed. Yet something tells me they won't learn their lesson...

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
From what I've heard it's more that the Asian OEMs, particularly Toyota and Honda, that didn't cancel or scale back their orders when the pandemic hit in the interest of supply chain integrity. The North American OEMs did scale back to keep the supply chain lean, and were caught with their pants down when demand skyrocketed. Yet something tells me they won't learn their lesson...

I dunno, pretty severe ass spanking in progress right now. The record sales by the other makes are coming at their expense.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Auto parts stocks jump after GM boosts vehicle deliveries
  • General Motors (GM +5.6%) rallies after the company announces a plan to increase deliveries of key models.
  • The automaker says it has found creative ways to speed production even with the global chip shortage an issue. GM is still storing tens of thousands of partially built pickups, SUVs and vans in Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Texas and Mexico as it waits for chips, but has told dealers that help is on the way.
  • The positive update is helping to lift sentiment across the auto sector. Notable gainers on the day include Tenneco (TEN +15.1%), Superior Industries (SUP +8.1%), American Axle & Manufacturing (AXL +7.5%), Dana (DAN +4.3%), Adient (ADNT +4.0%), Cooper-Standard (CPS +3.8%), Stoneridge (SRI +3.5%) and BorgWarner (BWA +2.8%).
  • Read more about the GM report.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Ford lower after update on chip shortage offsets new truck buzz
  • Ford (F -1.2%) is in the spotlight after unveiling its new 2022 Maverick pickup market today at a starting price point just under $20K.
  • However, the talk among investors is also focused on the ongoing chip shortage. During an appearance on Bloomberg TV to mainly talk up the new pickup model's upside, Ford President of America Kumar Galhotra said the impact of the chip shortage is likely to extend into the second half of the year. While improvement is expected by Q4, he also warned that there is some risk of an impact extending all the way into 2022. Galhotra said the company is being creative and learning to work with leaner inventory.
  • Over the long term, Ford wants to look to eliminate supply chain issues and hopes the Biden Administration's investment and involvement in chip production will help over time.

Snoopy49

Established Member
The Flat Rock (Mustang) plant will go back into production on Monday the 14th.
clap.gif

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
U.S. SENATORS PROPOSE TAX CREDIT FOR CHIP MAKERS
Meanwhile, in the U.S., a group of Democrat and Republican senators proposed a 25% tax credit for companies that make chips in the U.S. Last week the Senate approved $52 billion for production and research on semiconductors, including $2 billion specifically for the automotive industry. The Commerce Department expects these moves to create 7 to 10 new chip plants in the U.S.

CHINA ROLLS OUT 5-YEAR SEMICONDUCTOR PLAN
The Chinese and the U.S. government are taking action to address the chip shortage that is crippling automotive production. China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology laid out its 5-year plan that ends in 2025. It wants China to develop world-class companies that make semiconductors and integrated circuits. It also wants the transportation, electronic communications, internet, and car companies to collaborate on 5G V2X connected vehicles.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
U.S. SENATORS PROPOSE TAX CREDIT FOR CHIP MAKERS
Meanwhile, in the U.S., a group of Democrat and Republican senators proposed a 25% tax credit for companies that make chips in the U.S. Last week the Senate approved $52 billion for production and research on semiconductors, including $2 billion specifically for the automotive industry. The Commerce Department expects these moves to create 7 to 10 new chip plants in the U.S.

CHINA ROLLS OUT 5-YEAR SEMICONDUCTOR PLAN
The Chinese and the U.S. government are taking action to address the chip shortage that is crippling automotive production. China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology laid out its 5-year plan that ends in 2025. It wants China to develop world-class companies that make semiconductors and integrated circuits. It also wants the transportation, electronic communications, internet, and car companies to collaborate on 5G V2X connected vehicles.

Lol you mean what Trump has been trying to do for the last 4yrs.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Intel doesn't expect chip supply stabilization until 2023
  • Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) CEO Pat Gelsinger doesn't expect the global chip shortage to ease until 2023.
  • “I don’t expect the chip industry is back to a healthy supply-demand situation until ’23,” Gelsinger tells Bloomberg in an interview, continuing that the situation will still likely get worse before improving for a variety of industries.
  • Earlier this year, Intel announced a $20B foundry investment commitment in a push to become a global foundry player, competing against TSMC and Samsung.
  • Earlier this week, Intel announced a unit restructuring that included splitting the Data Platform Group into two new businesses: the Datacenter and AI unit and the Network and Edge Group.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Gonna be a loooooong road back to "normal" vehicle prices. Just look how much cash for clunkers moved the market, and that was a drop in the bucket compared to this.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
The Rav4 just beat the F150's streak as the best selling vehicle because of the stop in production.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Lol, at least gm is getting smart and just not offering the start-stop technology to continue building trucks. Honestly i would much rather have a new vehicle without the feature at all.

www.caranddriver.com/news/amp36697013/gm-stop-start-chip-shortage-yukon-silverado-tahoe/

GM is storing vehicles also, Ford won't release how many it has, but GM was close to 500,000 and that is an old number. Local GMC dealer had 1 new truck on the lot after having none for months. Local small town Chevy dealer had 1 full size and 1 mid size. Very crazy.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Lol, at least gm is getting smart and just not offering the start-stop technology to continue building trucks. Honestly i would much rather have a new vehicle without the feature at all.

www.caranddriver.com/news/amp36697013/gm-stop-start-chip-shortage-yukon-silverado-tahoe/
I can't stand it. I'll forget to turn it off and sitting at a stoplight when I notice it getting warmer in the cab.

I also wish that whatever drive mode the truck was in would remain in that mode when you start it again. But since they the autostart to the drive mode I guess they couldn't.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
GM is storing vehicles also, Ford won't release how many it has, but GM was close to 500,000 and that is an old number. Local GMC dealer had 1 new truck on the lot after having none for months. Local small town Chevy dealer had 1 full size and 1 mid size. Very crazy.

Yeah i knew that, but GM will actually have trucks/SUV to sell soon. Ford at this point cant decide if customs are getting broncos or F series trucks. Either way they still haven't figure away to get the vehicles to buyers without chips.

I can't stand it. I'll forget to turn it off and sitting at a stoplight when I notice it getting warmer in the cab.

I also wish that whatever drive mode the truck was in would remain in that mode when you start it again. But since they the autostart to the drive mode I guess they couldn't.

I also dislike alot in the Edge ST. It's the only vehicle ive had that had that feature. Its annoying cause you do forget to turn it off until your at a light.

Id like ford to get rid of it while this chip shortage is going on. I bet buyers that actually enjoy there vehicles would be happy.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Any word on when things might be coming back to "normal"??
Nope, I've heard it might get worse for us. Have not been keeping up with the production of said chips. Being this was the last time we could receive that Federal $300....any time off after this will sting a bit and hurt others.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Micron stock climbs after BMO upgrade on constrained supply
  • Citing the constrained supply environment that's expected to stretch into 2022, BMO upgrades Micron (NASDAQ:MU) from Market Perform to Outperform and lifts the price target from $90 to $110.
  • Analyst Ambrish Srivasta says the constrained environment will be "driven by a combination of supply dynamics/CapEx discipline, and demand drivers," a scenario that's positive for DRAM chip pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread