FS - Complete Hardtop Assy. for 94-04 Mustang/Cobra Convertible - OEM 1995 2-Top

black 10th vert

Established Member
+1 on a pic of the holes that need to be added.

also Robert, thank you for the pm replies. I've been away all weekend, so didn't get them until just now. Just let me know when you you have that transport info.

thanks, Brian

calmlikeabomb

Established Member
I'm totally digging this. Now does the $2500 include shipping? If not, I would like to see about getting a quote for shipping to NJ. I would be able to let you know later this week if it is viable for me to get this. It will look mighty impressive with the Laser Red on my 96.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Do you have pictures of the "holes" that your talking about that would need to be drilled?

I have looked through my old 2-Top pictures, I have a picture of the two rods, one on each side approx. the size of two pencils in diameter, but no pictures of the car in this area. I can add a picture of the part that engages with the A-pillar, which is part of the Hardtop assy............

^^^^^^^^^^^Add pictures in post #27 and 28 on the next page.^^^^^^^^^^^

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
There used to be a TT 04 cobra local that had one on. Looked okay

In the link below is the most common, and maybe the only Removable Hardtop that is offered for the 1994-2004 Mustang Convert. By the time you add all of the "Upgrades" to the $1399 initial cost, the price gets up there, and it still looks nothing like the original Factory Ford Hardtop, and the rear windows are not usable.

Here is the link...............

Smooth Line: Hardtop: Mustang 1994-2004

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I'm totally digging this. Now does the $2500 include shipping? If not, I would like to see about getting a quote for shipping to NJ. I would be able to let you know later this week if it is viable for me to get this. It will look mighty impressive with the Laser Red on my 96.

Definitely not, on the "include shipping".

A few people who have contacted me via PM, and I have a person who "may" be able to help on the transportation. He is the same person who brought me a couple of Hardtops to Fla, one from Ohio, and one from NY. He transports cars up and down the east coast, this hardtop may be able to "hitch a ride".

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
+1 on a pic of the holes that need to be added.

also Robert, thank you for the pm replies. I've been away all weekend, so didn't get them until just now. Just let me know when you you have that transport info.

thanks, Brian

Brian and Vi - Here is a picture of the "pin" that goes into the top, rear facing portion of the A-Pillar. It helps to secure the roof in place and not just "clamp" it to the car.

Picture967-1.gif

Robert

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
No, I do not at this time. I have looked through my old 2-Top pictures, I have a picture of the two rods, one on each side approx. the size of two pencils in diameter, but no pictures of the car in this area. I can add a picture of the part that engages with the A-pillar, which is part of the Hardtop assy............

R

Adding to my post above.............

Here is a side-by-side comparision of a pencil and one of the Hardtop pins. I placed a piece of paper in the background for a good size definition comparision. Instead of two pencils in diameter, the holes (one per side), may be more like 1.5 pencils in diameter, maybe 10-12mm?

Toppin.gif

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have had many questions related to shipping...........

I know for a fact that these Hardtops will lay flat and fit nicely in a tandem axle U-Haul trailer. I am willing to meet someone at the Florida-Georgia line if this helps anyone interested in this Hardtop and its parts. I have a brother in Jacksonville/I-95 area, and that would be a good time to visit him, or I can meet someone in the I-75/I-10 area.

I am willing to do this for one main reason, I do not feel that "if shipped" via regular truck method, that this Hardtop would receive the care needed to make it through undamaged. Since it is such a unique item, I would hate to see it damaged.

Thanks, Robert

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Thanks Tom.

So to get the dome light to work, in addition to the footwell lights that are on all Mustang/Cobra converts, the owner may have to tap into a wire, maybe even two, one feed and one ground. Not a big deal for most car guys.

I know that my Cobra convert. had a heated back glass in it's factory soft top, so that wiring is already there.

It is the dome light connection for this Hardtop that will need attention, if a dome light function is important to the convertible owner who has never had a dome light.

R

Robert,

Actually, the harness does a number of items. The hardtop has a wiring harness that plugs into the main harness behind the back seat. When the hardtop is plugged in it gives power to the dome/map light (same as on a coupe) and also powers the rear window defrost. It also DISABLES the power top so you cannot raise the top with the hardtop on.

Now, when the hardtop is off there is a jumper plug that is also part of the main harness. That gives power to the convertible top and also power to the defrost in the convertible top.

So, after reading this you can understand how the wiring harness from the dash back is different.

These cars received the normal convertible rear view mirror with map lights.

The pins you are referring to for the hardtop were added due to crash testing with the hardtop.

Tom

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert,

Actually, the harness does a number of items. The hardtop has a wiring harness that plugs into the main harness behind the back seat. When the hardtop is plugged in it gives power to the dome/map light (same as on a coupe) and also powers the rear window defrost. It also DISABLES the power top so you cannot raise the top with the hardtop on.

Now, when the hardtop is off there is a jumper plug that is also part of the main harness. That gives power to the convertible top and also power to the defrost in the convertible top.

So, after reading this you can understand how the wiring harness from the dash back is different.

These cars received the normal convertible rear view mirror with map lights.

The pins you are referring to for the hardtop were added due to crash testing with the hardtop.

Tom

Thank you again Tom. When I sold my last 2-Top, I kept the extensive amount of information that I had collected specifically about these unique cars, approx. 15-20 magazine articles/features worth of priceless pictures and information from the first 1994 prototype through the production 1995 Cobra. I remember seeing/reading the info. you have mentioned above.

Some of these interlock "safetys" are nice factory engineered functions, but do not affect the usage/fitting of this Hardtop on a non-Hardtop optioned Mustang/Cobra. The Hardtop itself will still attach and function like a Removable Hardtop on a non factory equipped Hardtop car, same thing with the rear defrost and dome light functions. <<<Car guys can make these things work with a little thought on their non-factory equipped Mustang/Cobra, if they feel they need a dome light or rear defrost. If someone desires every single function and feature that was unique to the 1995 2-Top, the best bet would be to buy a 1995 2-Top Cobra (all 499 were Black, for those who do not know). If someone does not want a Black car, but wants a factory Hardtop for their 1994-2004 Mustang/Cobra that is a different color, buying this Factory Ford Hardtop and drilling the two holes (one on each A-pillar) for mounting it, is the next best choice, PLUS......all of the items to make this Hardtop look complete (Package Tray panels to cover and protect the soft top) when the Hardtop is on the car, AND...............a NOS factory Ford dust cover for the Hardtop when it is stored on it's storage dolly.

Doesn't the sequence of events also require the setting of the e-brake on all Mustang converts to raise the soft top? One more safety interlock?

The pins that have been discussed and you mention in your last sentence are the main safety item that sets this factory Hardtop apart from the "clamp-on only" Hardtop(s) that either are offered now, or have been offered in the past. These two pins have a unique safety function, that other Hardtops do not have. Ford had to go through rigorous tests that many/most others do not.

I have seen a couple of crash pictures where an aftermarket Removable Hardtop has been ejected from a vehicle in a crash, many times either injuring the people in the car, or people near by.

R

Last edited:

Noeboy

Established Member
Robert can you pm me your telephone number so I can ask you some questions about the top install and purchase. Thanks George

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
TheMustangNews.com - 1995 Mustang Historical Reference and here is the roof pillar picture scroll down to the last pic to see it and look at the pin to see it where it goes .

Thank you for posting the link.

Today I also found a picture that has this roof pillar modification included. One thing I noticed.........there is a plastic panel which appears to be the A-pillar trim, that covers this area. "If" someone were to drill these holes to fit this Removable Hardtop to their car, and then decide at some point in the future to return their car to its non-Hardtop/original configuration, this plastic panel covers this area and there would be no signs of any modification.

This is the 2-Top #167, that I sold recently. The four arrows are above the area in question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------vvvv----------

Picture1446.gif

Thank you again for the link, Robert

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert can you pm me your telephone number so I can ask you some questions about the top install and purchase. Thanks George

George - When I click on your user name I do not get a choice of PM, but email is an option. I sent you and email, if you do not get it, let me know.

Thanks, Robert

Noeboy

Established Member
Thank you Robert :now if you do not want to send me your tele# then please call me I interested in buying the Hardtop. I'm 150miles south of you in Fort Lauderdale. I will come pick it up . so call me .Thank you again George

Last edited:

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
my dad has a 95 2 top vert cobra that is bone stock with only 36,000 miles. the hardtop setup is very nice. I have only seen one other cobra like it. $2500 is a steal for what it is...

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
George - The Hardtop "hooks" grab the soft top frame assy. shown below. This framework is common to all 1994-2004 Mustang/Cobra converts.

Picture987.gif

Picture964-2.gif

Robert

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

Jasiu - I replied to your PM. You are next on the list after George. He is in the middle of buying the car that this roof is to go on. I would guess that if that car deal falls through, he will not need this Removable Hardtop and it will still be up for sale.

I also have a long list of 94/95 Cobra items, NOS Cobra upper intake, NOS struts, NOS correct Goodyear GS C's, Nice used set of GS C's, J4J1 ECM w/new Super Chip (obsolete) and paperwork, NOS FRPP Strut Tower Brace, Nice used Strut Tower Brace, 2 - Nice used sets of 1995 dated Motorcraft spark plug wires, NICE used dist. cover, NEW AFS Black Chrome Cobra R's - 4 17x9", 2 17x10.5" w/SVT center emblems, Nice used "COBRA" serp. belt, and the list goes on and on, PLUS a Mint set of 96/97 Cobra wheels w/NOS center caps.

^^^^^^^^All of this is for sale, and I told George he can look through it and see what he is interested in. Much of it is obsolete, all of these items are either Mint or NOS. When was the last time you saw a set of 96/97 Cobra wheels with no curb rash or clearcoat damage and all of the nicks around the center hole where the center cap has been pryed off? and then with obsolete NOS Ford center caps. These 96/97 Cobra center caps alone cost me $180 two years ago, and they had gone obsolete before that time.

Spare 2-Top parts............1 Storage Dolly and 1 Rear Window Seal.

George says he is also interested in some of these items, but again, his car deal may fall through. I will know more in the next couple of days.

Thanks, Robert

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread