Fuel level sender arm bent - how to reset

RoadRash

Established Member
Ok, I tried searching but this is a tough one to find.

Is there a way to check the voltage of the level sender and reset it so the gauge reads correctly? I have bent mine slightly from removing it so many times doing pprv deletes and then the fore hat and my fuel gauge reads higher than it really is. I have pulled the tank and bent it slightly and its off less but I don't want to keep pulling the tank. So give me some ideas to fix this correctly. (of course you can't buy them separately).

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Not having access to FORD shop manuals anymore I am not sure what the empty and full readings would be, and to be honest I am not sure if that is even in the book.

If you are not able to find that info, rather than many drops of the tank for trial and error adjustments, you might just decide that buying a new fuel sender assembly is actually in this case, worth the money.
Then in that case don't forget the Tousley Ford discount connection we have.

Last edited:

fast ford brian

Established Member
If you can take it to Ford and bend it to a new one , I had the same problem and they let me use a new one as a "template" so long as I didnt open the plastic.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Not having access to FORD shop manuals anymore I am not sure what the empty and full readings would be, and to be honest I am not sure if that is even in the book.

If you are not able to find that info, rather than many drops of the tank for trial and error adjustments, you might just decide that buying a new fuel sender assembly is actually in this case, worth the money.
Then in that case don't forget the Tousley Ford discount connection we have.

here is all i could come up with on the ford website hope this helps man

Fuel Gauge

NOTE: It is critical to follow the pinpoint test diagnostic methods to make sure the correct mode is being used during diagnostics.

The instrument cluster receives the fuel level signal from the fuel level sensor, part of the fuel pump module. The fuel level sensor measures variable resistance in the fuel tank depending on the current fuel level. When the fuel level is low, the resistance in the unit is low (15 ohms ± 2 ohms). When the fuel level is high, the resistance in the unit is high (160 ohms ± 4 ohms).

The instrument cluster uses 4 different operating modes to calculate the fuel level:

key OFF fueling
anti-slosh (default mode)
key ON fueling
recovery
After a fuel fill up, the time for the fuel gauge to move from empty (E) to full (F) ranges from 2 seconds to 55 minutes depending on which operating mode the fuel gauge is in.

The key OFF fueling mode (2 seconds to read empty [E] to full [F]) requires 3 conditions be met:

The key must be in the OFF position when refueling the vehicle.
At least 15 percent of the vehicle's fuel capacity must be added to the fuel tank.
The instrument cluster must receive a valid key ON fuel sender reading within 1 second of the key being put into the RUN position. The key ON sample readings are considered valid if the fuel sender reading is between 15 ohms ± 2 ohms and 160 ohms ± 4 ohms. If these conditions are not met, the fuel gauge stays in the anti-slosh mode, which results in a slow to read full (F) event.
The default fuel gauge mode is called the anti-slosh mode. To prevent fuel gauge changes from fuel slosh (gauge instability due to changes in fuel sender readings caused by fuel moving around in the tank), the fuel gauge takes approximately 55 minutes to go from full (F) to empty (E).

The key ON fueling mode (approximately 90 seconds to read empty [E] to full [F]) requires 3 conditions be met:

The transmission is in park (P) (automatic transmissions), or the parking brake applied (manual transmissions).
The key is in the RUN position.
At least 15 percent of the vehicle's fuel capacity must be added to the fuel tank.
In key ON fueling mode, a 30 second timer activates after the transmission is put into the park (P) position (automatic transmissions) or when the parking brake is applied (manual transmissions). When the 30 second time has elapsed and at least 15 percent of the vehicle's fuel capacity has been added, the fuel gauge response time is 90 seconds to read from empty (E) to full (F). When the transmission is shifted out of park (P) or the parking brake is released, the fuel gauge strategy reverts to the anti-slosh mode. This mode prevents slow to read full events from happening if the customer refuels the vehicle with the key in the RUN position.

Recovery mode is incorporated into the instrument cluster strategy to recover from a missing fuel level message during a refueling event. Missing fuel level messages result from intermittent opens in the fuel sender or its circuits. Recovery mode (empty [E] to full [F] approximately 20 minutes) is initiated when the following 2 conditions are met:

The instrument cluster is in the anti-slosh (default) mode.
The actual fuel level in the tank is greater than what is being displayed by the fuel gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread