Fuel pressure issue -03 cobra

Jube

Hi,

Any ideas? What’s wrong with my fuel pressure.

Car is 2003 svt cobra (terminator) with 2.76 pulley long tube headers etc. It has also soft ware update with sct bama tuner. Tuner gives me also this faul code p0602 and p0148

I have also changed the fuel pressure sensor that sits on the end of the fuel rail. Fuel pressure is measured from the passenger side fuel rail.

2nd-3rd gear pulls the car stumps with revs. Between 5000-6000 rpm. And fuel pressure wobbles and then drops below 1 bar.

Slow motion video is from 2nd gear pull and the other is 2nd to 3rd pull.

Link to videos:

Jube

BA76C87B-BE27-41F0-972A-FF0A68F391DD.jpeg
Log the pressure drop across injectors, fuel pump duty cycle, and voltage. My first guess is one of your pumps is going out. But if the alternator is dying it could cause issues as well.

Now i have done pulls and some dataloggin. Some results below.

Alternator is almost new 1year old.

Voltage is over 13 all the time. Lower rpms little over 14. Have to measure amps also.

fpdc is 0,5 on full throttle. Is that only 50% dyty? Sound too low or my set up is faulty?

frp on 3500 rpm. 40. And 5300rpm is 27...? How much it sould be? shouldn't drop that much i think

what you think?

thanks already

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What stang910 said. You have to multiply the FPDC by 2. Might as well look into a better pump.

The rail pressure should read 39-40psi the whole time.

Jube

What stang910 said. You have to multiply the FPDC by 2. Might as well look into a better pump.

The rail pressure should read 39-40psi the whole time.

Ok! Thanks for help!

I’m quite poor with search. Where is the limit with stock fuel lines and system. I also planing to replece stock Eaton with some other charger and go somewhere near 650hp. Do i need return style fuel system or stock system with big pump?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Ok! Thanks for help!

I’m quite poor with search. Where is the limit with stock fuel lines and system. I also planing to replece stock Eaton with some other charger and go somewhere near 650hp. Do i need return style fuel system or stock system with big pump?
650+ generally requires E85. You can get the returnless system to support that much, but IMO you'll be better off going with a return system.

What's the budget/goal right now? If you have the budget and can deal with down time you can upgrade the fuel system now. If getting the car up and running as fast as possible is the goal I'd drop in a pair of GT pumps and call it a day.

Last edited:

olympic

Established Member
To be clear, the pumps come from the Ford GT Supercar, not the Mustang GT. The part number is Walbro F10000302. You'll also need a Fore fuel hat, upgraded wiring, dual fuel pump driver modules(FPDM), and a revised tune. I would imagine there is an installation thread somewhere here on SVTP.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
To be clear, the pumps come from the Ford GT Supercar, not the Mustang GT. The part number is Walbro F10000302. You'll also need a Fore fuel hat, upgraded wiring, dual fuel pump driver modules(FPDM), and a revised tune. I would imagine there is an installation thread somewhere here on SVTP.

And once you do all that might as well just ditch the dual FPDM for a regulator and a return line lol. Be there done that. Go that far, just go return. Safer and easier to tune. Just go deadhead with the stock rails. Price is too close in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I don't know if you need all that. Yeah, the Fore hat is pretty, but it's possible to run the GT pumps in a stock hat with some work.

I ran the old style GT pumps over 10 years with a stock FPDM, with and without a wire upgrade and never had an issue.

The newer pumps might draw more power which would mean you'd at least want an upgraded FPDM. Which is cheaper/easier than everything else.

Either way the fuel system can be a black hole for $$$.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Keep in mind too it sounds like a canned Bama tune which might not be helping the situation.

Jube

Finally got my Bubget return style set and i'm about to get it installed this week. I wonder am i able to do all the necessary tunes with my Bama ( sct tuner) that looks quite old?

I mean all this below can it be done with my tuner?:

here is what is required if you were using SCT software, HP is just now supporting 04 and below with the Latest Updates, where SCT has been supporting for years. i have not looked at HP setup for the older cars always use SCT..

If Retaining the Pressure Sensor Hardware, but using a Regulator to Control Fuel Pressure:
Go into Returnless Fuel Pump / Fuel Pump Voltage Table: Set the entire table to 15???s.
Go into Returnless Fuel Pump / Desired Pressure Drop Across Injectors: Set the Right Column to ~10psi above the Regulator Pressure you are running.
Go into Returnless Fuel Pump / Scalar: Set Fuel Pump Gain Derivative Term, Fuel Pump Gain Integral Term, and Fuel Pump Gain Proportional Term all to 0.
Set Fuelpump Tst Pressure Below to Allow Test to ~20psi below the Regulator Pressure you are running.
Go into System Switches / Scalar: Set Fuel Pump Type and Fuel Pump System Type to 0 if present.
If Eliminating all Returnless Components:
Go into System Switches / Scalar: Set Fuel Pump Type and Fuel Pump System Type to 0 if present.
Set All Fuel Injector Slope Multipliers & Breakpoint to 1.

upload_2020-8-17_9-6-58.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread