BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
848b83dced0164fcaf2c9f0c5ab9f995.jpg

Today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

q6543

Established Member
Starting to think that this transition to electric is gonna be much more painful then we all expected... and quicker too.

Fat Boss

Established Member
Starting to think that this transition to electric is gonna be much more painful then we all expected... and quicker too.

I disagree, and think it'll take much longer than people expect. What we are seeing is an energy "crisis" across the board that includes electricity and natural gas.

There's been countless announcements of countless EV chargers in the works. It's becoming clear to me that either A) people aren't looking at the total cost of installing DC Fast Chargers, or B) there's going an incredible level of investment to make it happen.

I figured you could put DC Fast Chargers in for maybe $20k for each "plug." No way, no how is what I've been reading. Those suckers take so much electrical service that there needs to be new transformers and service from the nearest capable 480V location and the trenching and laying the cable etc will bump that cost waaaaay higher than I though it would be. This is all ignoring the massive infrastructure changes needed to the grid. IMO, the estimates on when the world "goes EV" are wildly optimistic, and we'll see easing, and pushing out of the dates as we move forward.

In the near term, the bulk of the charging will continue to be done by homeowners with L2 240V chargers. Those are extremely cheap in comparison to any fast charger on the market today.

As for how this all relates to oil/gas prices, the more EV's sold the less gasoline demand as a component of world oil markets. If you're for lower gas prices, you should be all for more EV's being sold. I know, it's a catch 22.

daustin

Established Member
I just paid $5.75/gallon for diesel for my truck, $5.93/gallon for 91 for my ATV and $5.43/gallon for 87 for my power washer at a Chevron in Las Vegas.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I disagree, and think it'll take much longer than people expect. What we are seeing is an energy "crisis" across the board that includes electricity and natural gas.

There's been countless announcements of countless EV chargers in the works. It's becoming clear to me that either A) people aren't looking at the total cost of installing DC Fast Chargers, or B) there's going an incredible level of investment to make it happen.

I figured you could put DC Fast Chargers in for maybe $20k for each "plug." No way, no how is what I've been reading. Those suckers take so much electrical service that there needs to be new transformers and service from the nearest capable 480V location and the trenching and laying the cable etc will bump that cost waaaaay higher than I though it would be. This is all ignoring the massive infrastructure changes needed to the grid. IMO, the estimates on when the world "goes EV" are wildly optimistic, and we'll see easing, and pushing out of the dates as we move forward.

In the near term, the bulk of the charging will continue to be done by homeowners with L2 240V chargers. Those are extremely cheap in comparison to any fast charger on the market today.

As for how this all relates to oil/gas prices, the more EV's sold the less gasoline demand as a component of world oil markets. If you're for lower gas prices, you should be all for more EV's being sold. I know, it's a catch 22.
Absolutely correct on all of this though. Though there is also an alternative to lower gas prices besides increased ev adoption…

Fat Boss

Established Member
Absolutely correct on all of this though. Though there is also an alternative to lower gas prices besides increased ev adoption…

Yes, but OPEC is reluctant to increase supply and Russian oil is "radioactive." The domestic shale industry has shifted it's model from maximum growth to maximum shareholder, so don't expect much there.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Prices continue to creep.

Regular 87 is up $.10 overnight to $5.49/gal.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, but OPEC is reluctant to increase supply and Russian oil is "radioactive." The domestic shale industry has shifted it's model from maximum growth to maximum shareholder, so don't expect much there.
Different administration and price would be down $1/gal in a few weeks…. Before anything thing had even happened.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Opec just said they are pumping more

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Regular 87 = Four ****ing dollars and sixty five ****ing cents a gallon.

Wait til you ev'rs gotta register your battery for a permit and get limited use. I hope it gets shoved right up your ass.

Users who are viewing this thread