Fuel Pump for 98 Cobra - Please Educate Me

MuskRat

Established Member
Ok...been having problems with fuel delivery and I want to rule out the fuel pump. It's a cheap fix and with the car going on 11 years old, probably not a bad idea to replace.

I need to know the following, since I have heard conflicting things about the 98 Cobra fuel systems:

- What fuel pump should I replace the stock one with if I am going to keep it naturally aspirated, with no more than 300rwhp
- What fuel pump if I go power adder?
- What is the truth about the Lincoln Aviator pump as a replacement?
- Are there any differences/difficulties in replacing fuel pump as opposed to doing it on a 94 GT (have done that before)
- Anything else I should be aware of or concerned about?

Thanks for the help

jesusphreak

Newby For Life
Established Member
I replaced my 98 with an aviator fuel pump. You do have to disassemble it and use your old mounts and stuff but it was not hard. I"d never dropped a fuel tank before or done any work fuel related.

I know as far as pricing focus is cheapest, aviator is next, and OEM cobra is way expensive. I've "heard" focus fuel pump is direct bolt in but I do not know for sure, I know that the avaitor is, and it's a lot cheaper than OEM 98 cobra + it gives you room to grow.

Trbo6gn1

Established Member
i just threw a bbk 255 in mine. figured i midas well in case i ever do mod it more ill have more than enough fuel pump there.

John4cam

Established Member
i just threw a bbk 255 in mine. figured i midas well in case i ever do mod it more ill have more than enough fuel pump there.

Yea but the 96 has a different basket setup than a 98, the bbk 255 will need modification to the basket on the 98, or from what ive heard, the aviator is a plug and play, if I did another 98, id go this route.:beer:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Ok...been having problems with fuel delivery and I want to rule out the fuel pump. It's a cheap fix and with the car going on 11 years old, probably not a bad idea to replace.

I need to know the following, since I have heard conflicting things about the 98 Cobra fuel systems:

- What fuel pump should I replace the stock one with if I am going to keep it naturally aspirated, with no more than 300rwhp... Stock pump will be fine
- What fuel pump if I go power adder? Aviator or stock with an inline
- What is the truth about the Lincoln Aviator pump as a replacement? A direct drop in... plug and play- Are there any differences/difficulties in replacing fuel pump as opposed to doing it on a 94 GT (have done that before) See below..
- Anything else I should be aware of or concerned about? See below...

Thanks for the help

The 98 cobra is the bastard child in the fuel department. A transition year between return style and returnless. They are still return style but unlike the 96-97 cobras the 98's have a basket that the pump sits in. The aviator pump is a direct drop in but that is a 270 pump so there has been cases where it sucked the basket dry and can burn up the pump. Some guys have drilled numerous holes in the basket to avoid being sucked dry. Another precaution is just to keep at least a 1/2 tank of fuel in it to make sure when the fuel sloshes around the pick up is still submerged since the 98 tanks do not have baffles. A Walbro 255 pump will not fit in the basket without modification. With just the aviator pump alone that should be good up until 450ish to the tire. Hope this helps. -Mark

Last edited:

101blur

Established Member
I got a question about feul pumps how much HP is the drop style 255 pumps good for before you have to do an 03 cobra tank swap or a aeromotive kit...?

MuskRat

Established Member
The 98 cobra is the bastard child in the fuel department. A transition year between return style and returnless. They are still return style but unlike the 96-97 cobras the 98's have a basket that the pump sits in. The aviator pump is a direct drop in but that is a 270 pump so there has been cases where it sucked the basket dry and can burn up the pump. Some guys have drilled numerous holes in the basket to avoid being sucked dry. Another precaution is just to keep at least a 1/2 tank of fuel in it to make sure when the fuel sloshes around the pick up is still submerged since the 98 tanks do not have baffles. A Walbro 255 pump will not fit in the basket without modification. With just the aviator pump alone that should be good up until 450ish to the tire. Hope this helps. -Mark

You know, if every post on this board got answered in this fashion, there would be a lot more educated people in the Mustang world.

98 N/A 4V - Thanks for the awesome info...this is exactly what I was looking for.

Since I am planning on staying NA, I will probably look at just doing a stock replacement, which I believe I was told is 190lph in a 98 Cobra??? Can someone confirm this? Also...is this going to cost me an arm and leg at a Ford dealership if I am going to do an OEM replacement, or are there aftermarket stock replacements for the 98 fuel pumps that I need to look at.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Mustrat- You're welcome. Anytime. The stocker is a 190lph pump. To be safe along with the pump I'd get the pick up sock as well. Then again I don't know if when orderig it, it may come with it. Just check before ordering. -Mark

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
I'm running a Ford GT Pump, think it was like 120 or cheaper from Tounsely Ford, made 480 rwhp on my turbo setup with no problems so far...well fuel wise lol the motor let go saturday

But its a drop in affair like the aviator

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
i've personally had this issue with my 98 cobra when i put the vortech on. i wish at the time i was better educated but now i know. at first i had the bbk and with modification it worked. when i had the car professionally tuned they suggested the walbro 255lph high output pump. by the way the bbk pump is made by walbro as well. had i known at the time i would've used the aviator pump which i believe is like a 265 or 270 lph pump and drilled holes in the basket. i haven't had any issues whatsoever with the walbro ho pump but i am at the limit with my fuel set up and when i get my engine rebuilt for more boost i will prob use an earlier style tank. even staying n/a i would use the aviator cause it's cheaper than the oe 98 cobra pump and if you ever go forced induction thats one less headache.

duane v

Established Member
I have a 98 and I put a walboro 255 in with no modifications

impossible........ The 255 walbro is almost 1/4" taller than the stock pump and will not allow the fuel-basket lid to seal causing the pump to starve.... I tried using the Walbro, and trimming the basket and had nothing but issues..... I just purchased a new fuel basket and went with the aviator pump and everything has been great for two years.

DA snake boy!!!!

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
impossible........ The 255 walbro is almost 1/4" taller than the stock pump and will not allow the fuel-basket lid to seal causing the pump to starve.... I tried using the Walbro, and trimming the basket and had nothing but issues..... I just purchased a new fuel basket and went with the aviator pump and everything has been great for two years.

DA snake boy!!!!

+1. There is a reason on why on Walbro's site there is not part# for a 98 only 97-96. GT's yes. Cobras no. -Mark

Users who are viewing this thread