Fuel pump swap

01ssnake

Established Member
What’s the best advice to swap the fuel pump?
It’s almost impossible to reach the fuel filter cause of the irs to drop the tank, can I lower the tank with it connected a little bit to get my hands up there better?

FIREBALL

Established Member
Fuel filter is always a little tough. Yes you can lower the tank enough to change out the pump, but make sure the tank is empty or almost empty. I learned the hard way by trying to do it with the tank 1/3 full. Lowering the tank will make it slightly easier to get to the filter. Getting the fuel hose off of the pump nipple inlet can be very challenging. I first went with a Deatsch pump---that was a failure and had to drop tank again. I went with a Bosch pump and it works well. My threads below will give you a lot of info.

The Bosch pump is more expensive now but worth it.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I usually drop the tank and disconnect the line from the hat. Don't go crazy as there isn't a ton of slack in the fuel line. I usually drop it just enough to get my arm in there. Once the line is disconnected you can drop it all the way down.

shurur

Established Member
If you remove the tie rod, the fuel filter is easier to get to.

Once you get the tank down, you can replace the lines with nylon connectors and line to the filter at both ends and to the hat.
I can reach up and remove mine with my fingers now.

01ssnake

Established Member
Thanks guys , going to give it a shot hope all goes well. I bought a whole new assembly Walbro 255 comes with new hat basket and pump

Users who are viewing this thread