Fuel System Cleaner Recommendations?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Chevron Techron was used for the 02-05 Explorer Fuel Pump TSB. Pour one container into the tank, let the customer go and if it comes back replace the in tank pump. The pump that was shipped with the vehicle would not read the fuel level and cause all kinds of issues. Supposedly the Techron would help clean the fuel level sender contact plate. It worked 1/2 the time we tried that TSB fix.

nxhappy

Established Member
if you have a ecoboost you CANNOT use seafoam, it can damage the turbos. For the EB motor the only way to keep it clean is a catch can system, period. If the valves get jacked up you have to physically blast them to clean. Regular motors, seafoam works wonders. Diesels are also different.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
if you have a ecoboost you CANNOT use seafoam, it can damage the turbos. For the EB motor the only way to keep it clean is a catch can system, period. If the valves get jacked up you have to physically blast them to clean. Regular motors, seafoam works wonders. Diesels are also different.
Not even catch cans fix the problem. It will help some but wont stop the issue. You need a high quality synthetic oil along with good gas like Chevron.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I use Chevron Techron along with a JLT oil catch can on the wife's Ford Edge Sport. The oil catch can had about an 1/8" of an inch of oil in it when I dumped it at 500 miles.

Valvoline now makes an oil for 2012 and newer direct injection engines that is supposed to prevent the carbon buildup in intake valves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I use Chevron Techron along with a JLT oil catch can on the wife's Ford Edge Sport. The oil catch can had about an 1/8" of an inch of oil in it when I dumped it at 500 miles.

Valvoline now makes an oil for 2012 and newer direct injection engines that is supposed to prevent the carbon buildup in intake valves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should be seeing alot of reformulation on the other brands too. To help with the DI issues. Ford best thing they added is port injection to the EcoBoost motors. This will fix most of the issues as long as good gas is used like Chevron.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Should be seeing alot of reformulation on the other brands too. To help with the DI issues. Ford best thing they added is port injection to the EcoBoost motors. This will fix most of the issues as long as good gas is used like Chevron.
No Chevron here. I mainly do Mobil, shell or Sunoco.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Never used a fuel system cleaner in my life. Never saw a need for one as long as I was buying top tier gas and not letting my car sit for months at a time.

However I am contemplating using some type of fuel system cleaner on the wife's Ecoboost. Since it's DI I hear there's a possibility of soot build up on the top side of the intake valves. I'm seriously contemplating a purchase of some Sea Foam and then finding a vacuum line for the intake I can use to suck the Sea Foam into the intake and possibly clean up those intake valves.

U.M.

Not recommended way to clean a EB, I think there is a tech tip from Ford about this. The concern is the carbon can break off and damage the turbo impeller.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
No Chevron here. I mainly do Mobil, shell or Sunoco.
Youll be good both shell and mobil have good cleaning power now. V power and synergy. I dont know about sunoco other that out here its for race gas pretty much 100+ octane

Coiled03

Established Member
Youll be good both shell and mobil have good cleaning power now. V power and synergy. I dont know about sunoco other that out here its for race gas pretty much 100+ octane

Is Amoco ok, or no bueno?

Users who are viewing this thread