Full Size Fun | 2022 Expedition XLT Review

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Full Size Fun | 2022 Expedition XLT Review

2022_Expedition_004.jpg

The 2022 Ford is all about maximization. You can maximize your capability, comfort, capacity, etc. Few new vehicles allow owners to haul more people and stuff, in more comfort, to more places than the Expedition. Ford recently loaned us fairly rare XLT model to test out. Though our time with it was short, we did manage to get a solid impression on this newly refreshed model.

2022_Expedition_006.jpg

I feel the Expedition's new front end looks really good.

As I mentioned, the first thing that stood out to me about this particular truck was the fact that it was an XLT. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen this once fairly ubiquitous working-man’s trim level applied to an Expy in the wild. However, this version of the XLT trim gives you much more than cloth seat and power windows & locks. This SUV had a very nicely appointed interior, that would have made an Eddie Bower interior of a decade earlier look downright pedestrian.

Power from the 3.5L Ecoboost (380HP & 470 lb-ft) is more than adequate to move this full-size full-frame SUV around. You have to love the table-top-flat torque curve you get from these high-compression twin-turbo mills. The shift strategy programmed for the 10R80 fitted to the Expedition remains one of Ford’s best efforts. The suspension and steering are both spot on. For our full review, check out this (somewhat patched together) video:

The Expedition remains one of my favorite currently offered Ford videos. I appreciate the relative economy it provides, and the safety aspects of its construction are second to none. It’s one of those vehicles that could easily be your only vehicle. Consider it the Swiss Army Knife of trucks. Te updated looks are just a bonus. Style, comfort, economy, and capability all in one package.

If you have any specific questions about this XLT Expedition, post them up. I’ll do my best to answer them all.

2022_Expedition_009.jpg

The Expedition's rear end has been slightly updated as well.

2022_Expedition_013.jpg

This is where the Expy really shines. The XLT interior has the perfect level of comfort and luxury, without being overly complicated.

2022_Expedition_015.jpg

It's great having actual buttons and dials in the center stack. The built in trailer brake controller is a huge bonus.

2022_Expedition_018.jpg

Even though the XLT model gets the lowest powered version of the 3.5L EcoBoost in the Expy, it still does a pretty good job of motoring this yacht down the road.

2022_Expedition_019.jpg

I'm still not a fan of seeing EGR coolers on many new EcoBoost engines.

2022_Expedition_023.jpg

The rear bucket seats would not be a terrible place to spend some time.

2022_Expedition_026.jpg

Even with the backseats upright, there's still a decent amount of cargo space in the standard length Expedition.

2022_Expedition_029.jpg

Even the door panels are nicely designed.

-SID297

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That really is a nice looking, well designed Expedition. It's BIG, but doesn't necessarily look big. Very nice interior design/layout, comfortable looking seats (except the middle second row, LOL), nice power, and useful features.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Whats the MSRP of that one?

Nice early Bronco, and "harbor walk" pix too, as a bonus.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Is there really an engine in there? These hoses and tubes on this new stuff is flat out stupid.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I like the newer models since 2018. What's an EGR cooler?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Whats the MSRP of that one?

Nice early Bronco, and "harbor walk" pix too, as a bonus.

Thanks. That's Georgetown, SC. A great little town we like to visit. The downtown area has a few really good restaurants.

I attached the sticker.

I like the newer models since 2018. What's an EGR cooler?

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Cooler - an emissions system component.

Attachments

• Ford Expedition 0225.pdf
    664.7 KB · Views: 121

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Didnt realize that the XLT trim level was so nice, the least expensive build Ive done was a limited, and that base is $68k. This might be the ticket (vehicle for a second home to transport more than 5 people)

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
@SID297 asking for your input:

Just rolled over 53k miles on our '19 Explorer Sport. I'm very concerned about valve coking that I've read and seen so much about. Disappointed to see Ford continue to use it, especially in a large $ SUV like this, but I don't know about the latest updates.

- Do you have any concerns about Ford continuing to put this 3.5L EB in vehicles?

- Does this have EB still have direct inject?

- Has Ford solved the valve coking issues on the EB?

- Does this EB also have the internal water pump?

- Any other observations would be appreciated.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
@SID297 asking for your input:

Just rolled over 53k miles on our '19 Explorer Sport. I'm very concerned about valve coking that I've read and seen so much about. Disappointed to see Ford continue to use it, especially in a large $ SUV like this, but I don't know about the latest updates.

- Do you have any concerns about Ford continuing to put this 3.5L EB in vehicles?

- Does this have EB still have direct inject?

- Has Ford solved the valve coking issues on the EB?

- Does this EB also have the internal water pump?

- Any other observations would be appreciated.

-No
-Yes
-Yes
-No
-Needs a tune.

The valve coking can be alleviated with 3 things on most new EB engines. First, do 3,000 mile oil changes with a decent oil (I've been running Costco synthetic, but will probably switch to synthetic diesel oil once I run out my current supply). Second, run an oil seperator. Third, on the EB engines that have 2 fuel systems - get a custom tune that utilizes the port injectors much more. They will help clean the valves.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Didn't know an XLT was so well appointed!!! As mentioned above, I also look at the Limited's and up.

Also, Eddie Bauer (not Bower).

Users who are viewing this thread