Full tilt boogie DIY

SVTvert04

Established Member
Been a while since I’ve been on here but always have got great feedback.
Don’t really drive my car as much as I would like but want to change that.
About to pull the trigger on the full FTBR rear kit for the IRS

I’ve heard plenty of good things but my concern is how hard really is it?

Has anyone one in here done it and have done it with out a lift?

Thanks for any and all feedback

Billy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I did it without a lift in my mid 60's. You'll need a full tool box and lots of nuts and bolt bags. Have a plan, take your time and enjoy the process.

IRS 022.JPG

003.JPG
LCA001.JPG

001 (2).JPG

001 (4).JPG

Albatross

Established Member
I just got done with the FTBR kit along with a True Trac and a 3.73 gear. Did it all in my garage on jack stands. It's not that bad. Just be sure you have the car high enough to get the irs out from underneath. It's a big heavy mofo. Getting it back in was no fun either. But it can be done. The instructions included with the kit are very detailed. And there are install videos on YouTube provided by full tilt boogie as well. I highly suggest buying the tool they make for removing/installing the bushings. Made my life a lot easier. Definitely a worth while mod. It really is a night and day difference! And the quality of the kit is top notch. Skitzerman made a great suggestion too. Bag and tag everything and take your time. I say go for it! Best of luck man!

20200506_203529_compress72.jpg

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i also did it myself on both my cobras in my garage, with no lift and only hand tools. not difficult at all if you have a mechanical inclination. get the tools from ftbr - they help alot for getting out the old bushings.

good luck and enjoy! very worthwhile mod

The Abyss

Established Member
I did the whole 5001 kit on jacks and jack stands. It is possible if you are mechanically inclined as mentioned above. Also now is a good time to decide if you want to do any other maintenance while you have the IRS out. A fuel filter is cheap and way easy to do while the IRS is out. I had my rear end rebuilt at the same time. Just food for thought. Lastly I 1000% agree that you need to get the tool kit. It makes things so much easier to do.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I also have done mine this past year. Like others said prepare well and label everything you take out. It's also a good time to polish exhaust while it's off, I also bought the bushing removal tool.

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time and and don't rush anything. I did mine with using 2 Jack's and Jack stands. Make sure you chock both front tires.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

dazwelding

Established Member
I have also installed the FTBR IRS in my garage on jack stands. It is definitely doable. Like the others guys said, use the YouTube videos, they are super helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread