FYI on aftermarket Lightning decals

scriced

LFest3TrueStreet Champion
Established Member
Just put on an aftermarket Lightning tailgate decal. Came from Latemodel Restoration Supply (LRS) and is made by Graphics Express. Ford licensed product too.

Now most know the decal is an accurate copy of the OEM decal. I found it to be about a 1/2 inch longer than an OEM one. Height seems to be right on. Not a big deal. It is NOT prismatic as most know as well. The "bolt" is relfective.

The instruction sheet that comes with the decal states NOT to use any wax containing rubbing compound or color additives. Cleaner waxes will have "rubbing compound" as Graphic Express states. Any polish will have abrasives to some degree.

I left it set for 2 days after installation as instructions again note that the surface must be at least 60 degrees during installation and the surface temp must be a minimum of 45 degrees for 48 hours after installation. Did that.

Got out the DA buffer and some of my personal favorite Mequiars product. In this case their newest stuff Ultimate Compound (tailgate was repainted at the same time as the roll pan). Going over the decal the blue promptly came off leaving the relfective material indicating the blue is colored on the reflective decal.

Highly UNIMPRESSED with the decal. Graphics Express specifically states not to use cleaner waxes (and by extension any polishes) on the decal. If you have these decals tape them off or keep away from them with cleaner waxes and polishes. I would suspect any Meguiars products I have would do the same thing i.e. #83, #80, even #9 would probably do damage.

What I'm left with is interesting, though not correct. OEM decals when able to find them are costly but they don't lose their color with polishing, at least with a DA buffer and two of ours have had MANY repeated buffings over the decals.

Will leave the decal for the time being as it's kind of interesting and definitely different but I also may change the tailgate to a '95 version. At least the SVT emblem won't discolor !

8058879905_2d7dfa8251_b.jpg

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread