G8 GT vs. Cobra

Common

Established Member
Anyone want to run my friends first cousins car, it's G8 GXP with dual flux capacitors, anyone?

Slizzo

Kind of funny that two guys with G8's with a couple of posts show up here. The only ones I've seen run have been bone stock and in the low 14 range. I'm sure they run much better with mods and a tune, but I haven't seen them run. If the G8's are running 111+ with said mods and the cobra is stock, this isn't a surprising outcome. Either way it most likely happened and will probably happen again, if there are still other stock cobras out there.

I didn't come over here to start anything with you guys, just came over to give some information on our cars to you, so you can make your own decisions on what happened.

Stock these cars trap 13.5 (that's a best case scenario) to 13.8 in the low 100MPHs in the quarter on a good track with a good driver.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Full bolt-ons and tune can trap 111mph so if the speed didn't suit the Cobra's gearing (or his driving), its very plausible. After all, stock Cobras trap 113/114 at best, right? Oh, I forgot about the rumored 115mph....

You saw the Chevy version? It's actually a longer wheelbase car for police duty only.

He sucks horribly or he's lying about "something". Stockers trap 105mph.

Well here, compare a bolt on cobra to a bolt on G8, what happens then?

Yeah, we already know.

04blackgmc

Established Member
whats up thats my white g8 posted..

yep car is tuned by me, no handheld here.. have tuned i think 5 or more g8's now along with help MANY with their tunes also along with some trucks/fbodys/gto's

here is mw awhile back racing a buddys 03 cobra with catback, of course the roll race was his

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ4CGFkWdx4"]YouTube- Shane vs LOSS4U[/ame]

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
whats up thats my white g8 posted..

yep car is tuned by me, no handheld here.. have tuned i think 5 or more g8's now along with help MANY with their tunes also along with some trucks/fbodys/gto's

here is mw awhile back racing a buddys 03 cobra with catback, of course the roll race was his

YouTube- Shane vs LOSS4U

2 out of 3 for the Cobra, not bad.

The G8 moves out. :beer:

99-LS1-SS

Former SS *****
Established Member
I'm going to mini hijack the thread and contribute...hopefully.

Who drives a white 03 Cobra (Terminator rims) in High Point that drives down highway 68 every morning? I would like to see what my car will do against your car. Also, what mods do you have?

Now on to the contribution...lol

As most of you guys stated the driver REALLY makes the difference in a street race. As most of my fellow G8 owners are aware of, assuming the drivers are equal, stock vs. stock a Cobra will easily beat a G8 GT. A stock G8 GXP vs. a stock Cobra is a little closer but I would still have to give the edge to the Cobra. I ran 12.70 bone stock in my 04 Cobra when I had it. My GXP might run 12.8s to 12.9s stock.

With that being said, anyone who knows car knows that the Cobra has brutal potential right out of the box. The LS3 has a lot of potential too but you have to sink more money into it.

Having had both cars I can say that I like both of them for different reasons. I LOVE the LS3 motor but I wish GM would have thrown forged pistons and cranks in them. That would level the playing field. But, they didn't and it isn't so I'm moving along. I liked the Cobra for the same reason most of you guys like it...POWER!!! The car stars lined up against me and my daughter was born right after getting the Cobra and the responsible thing, at the time, for me to do was sell it. Well, my daughter is 5 now and I can safely afford the G8 GXP. I like the G8 for the room and comfort. In my opinion, it's the baddest 4 door car for the money.

Devilish34

Established Member
I'm going to mini hijack the thread and contribute...hopefully.

Who drives a white 03 Cobra (Terminator rims) in High Point that drives down highway 68 every morning? I would like to see what my car will do against your car. Also, what mods do you have?

Now on to the contribution...lol

As most of you guys stated the driver REALLY makes the difference in a street race. As most of my fellow G8 owners are aware of, assuming the drivers are equal, stock vs. stock a Cobra will easily beat a G8 GT. A stock G8 GXP vs. a stock Cobra is a little closer but I would still have to give the edge to the Cobra. I ran 12.70 bone stock in my 04 Cobra when I had it. My GXP might run 12.8s to 12.9s stock.

With that being said, anyone who knows car knows that the Cobra has brutal potential right out of the box. The LS3 has a lot of potential too but you have to sink more money into it.

Having had both cars I can say that I like both of them for different reasons. I LOVE the LS3 motor but I wish GM would have thrown forged pistons and cranks in them. That would level the playing field. But, they didn't and it isn't so I'm moving along. I liked the Cobra for the same reason most of you guys like it...POWER!!! The car stars lined up against me and my daughter was born right after getting the Cobra and the responsible thing, at the time, for me to do was sell it. Well, my daughter is 5 now and I can safely afford the G8 GXP. I like the G8 for the room and comfort. In my opinion, it's the baddest 4 door car for the money.

:beer:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
they asked me to, you ***.

They really wanna run the G8 against a stockish terminator again to see how it stacks up.

Sorry I had no idea your friends were so mentally & physically impaired that they long ago relinquished the capacity to set up their own races. From this side of the magic box, it looked like another chump with a slow car beating the drum for the only fast cars he knows about.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
Gonna agree with the general view here that it is possible, but would take a bad driver in the Cobra for the G8 to walk that much. From a dig it would be much more likely to go down like this.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Couple posts? I've been here longer than you, and have more posts than you. I also used to have a Mustang, so I had a reason to be here.

Let's see, you have more than a couple of posts so I would venture to guess that I wasn't referring to you. Maybe in your world a couple is over 700, but not over here. Either way the internet is funny this way. One guy questions what a car runs and then all the owners from different sites show up out of nowhere to defend their "internet honor". Whatever makes you feel good about yourself I guess.

rocket5979

Established Member
Let's see, you have more than a couple of posts so I would venture to guess that I wasn't referring to you. Maybe in your world a couple is over 700, but not over here. Either way the internet is funny this way. One guy questions what a car runs and then all the owners from different sites show up out of nowhere to defend their "internet honor". Whatever makes you feel good about yourself I guess.

Defend "internet honor"??? Give it a rest man some of us have been on this board for considerably longer than most others in this thread. So because we chose to post in this thread we are now being accused of trying to "defend our internet honor"? Sounds pretty asinine on your part. Besides, I didn't notice any crap talking from anyone so what "defending" is there to do? Try making sense once in a while. :poke:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Defend "internet honor"??? Give it a rest man some of us have been on this board for considerably longer than most others in this thread. So because we chose to post in this thread we are now being accused of trying to "defend our internet honor"? Sounds pretty asinine on your part. Besides, I didn't notice any crap talking from anyone so what "defending" is there to do? Try making sense once in a while. :poke:

I guess I have to spell it out for you guys. If you joined just recently and only have a few posts, then I am talking about you. Just funny that people jump on a site to do that. What part about a couple is so hard to comprehend? If that doesn't make sense, then maybe it's time to go back to school.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I have a G8 GT, it runs 11s stock. I also pull ZR1s from a roll with it, the trick is to neutral drop it while rocking back and forth in your seat. Fastest car evar dooodz, you guys just don't know.

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
I guess I have to spell it out for you guys. If you joined just recently and only have a few posts, then I am talking about you. Just funny that people jump on a site to do that. What part about a couple is so hard to comprehend? If that doesn't make sense, then maybe it's time to go back to school.

No, I got it the first time you said it. Regardless if someone has been on here for 7+ years or or 3 days doesn't mean squat. Neither does what vehicle they happen to own currently too. There was a slight lack of updated and correct information in this thread at first and a few G8 owners posted up accurate tech info. I never saw any crap talking so I don't see any issue here. Come on, if you are a browser on any given car enthusiast board and see people posting about the car you currently own, whether good, bad, or indifferent, then you will probably feel compelled to post in that thread too. :poke:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
No, I got it the first time you said it. Regardless if someone has been on here for 7+ years or or 3 days doesn't mean squat. Neither does what vehicle they happen to own currently too. There was a slight lack of updated and correct information in this thread at first and a few G8 owners posted up accurate tech info. I never saw any crap talking so I don't see any issue here. Come on, if you are a browser on any given car enthusiast board and see people posting about the car you currently own, whether good, bad, or indifferent, then you will probably feel compelled to post in that thread too. :poke:

This is the problem with the internet. I wasn't mad/sarcastic or anything along those lines. Just making a statement that it's funny that people feel compelled to join a site for the sole purpose of defending their car. I never doubted what these cars run. I just said it was funny. If I came in here and was bashing everyone and their brother, then I would deserve to be laughed at like some of these idiots in other threads who think Ford is the only company that ever made a car.
That being said, I wasn't calling anyone out to make them feel unwelcome here just making a broad statement about the quirks of the internet. If you feel like I was attacking someone, then I guess that's just how it's going to be. Time for me to attend to more important matters in life. Enjoy your evening :beer:. I know I will :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread