Garage Heater

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Hey fellas, I'd like to find a good, but cheap/budget garage heater... For the garage... That works well enough to heat it up and not just one little area. I'd like to start possibly detailing cars, especially now that we have 2 new cars I'd like to keep them clean and protected while we go. Already have all my detailing stuff besides a PC, but it just gets too Damn cold in the winter months here.

Anyone have a garage heater they like or know about the that works well? I have a 3 car garage. I was hoping I could find a 'stand alone' type that I can put up when I'm not using it. Electric maybe. Father has an on-wall heater that connects to his gas line, but I'd like to see if there were other choices first

jbs$

Established Member
I use a 1500 watt electric that keeps the temp above 60 degrees. Works well and is cheap. Note! The walls, ceiling and door are insulated.

bmyles

Established Member
I have a mr heater 70000 btu natural gas heater hung from my ceiling and it's the best money I ever spent. I think it was $500 dollars but it's awesome, -30c outside and the inside is +20

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I use a propane jet heater to get the chill out of the air quickly, and a wood stove to keep it toasty in there.

jsonic

Established Member
i have a 140k btu torpedo heater and it heats a 24x32 garage fairly easy. The garage is insulated but does not have insulation in the ceiling, just the walls. When its 20 degrees outside i can get the garage up to about 70 within 20 minutes. I bought it off of craigslist for 150 bucks 2 years ago too.

hoamskilet

Established Member
I was actually going to start a thread myself on this topic. I have a torpedo heater that heats the garage up fairly quickly but smells after awhile and is loud as hell. I've been thinking about putting an electric heater in as a means to maintain the heat once it's at a comfortable level. Should be cheaper and easier to install than gas

Blk04Snake

Established Member
I have a mr heater 70000 btu natural gas heater hung from my ceiling and it's the best money I ever spent. I think it was $500 dollars but it's awesome, -30c outside and the inside is +20

This has my vote. I have the Mr. Heater 75000btu model for propane. Works great and didn't break the bank.

jblood37

Established Member
I've been looking into these forced air heaters myself. Which is cheaper to run, a kerosene or propane unit? Not trying to hijack this thread. Sorry.

McRat

Established Member
Be aware that Kerosene/diesel heaters are very effective, but it seems to make metal rust. Probably because the result of burning includes water. Not sure if propane or NG has the same issue.

jbs$

Established Member
CobraBob, I bought it a Walmart, I think that I paid $30.00 +\- for it a couple of years ago. It has a 1000 & 1500 watt setting plus a thermostat.

Users who are viewing this thread