Gas Mileage High HP

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
I was wondering if the people with high HP Cobras still get reasonable gas mileage if running 93?

I know high HP usually equals low MPG but I ran a whole tank once and drove it like a Grandma and never hit boost got an extra 3 MPG so I was wondering if the higher HP cars since they are Fuel Injected can do the same?

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
No I am not worried about mileage I was just wondering.

Oh and FYI I had a 2001 C5 and I filled it up hit the HWY and drove from Brookfield WI to Pheasant Run in Illinois and did get 30MPG. I know you haters cant believe it but if you owned one running at 65MPH they are almost idling.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
i average 200-220 per tank but, everytime I see boost it knocks about 10 miles off that number.

Zemedici

Established Member
Why be a dick? I never said I was worried about MPG please point out where I am worried about MPG!

if you post a thread about it, you're worried about it. You bought/drive a supercharged v8. Out of boost my car probably does 18-20mpg

In boost I probably get 10.

buddy's KB car gets about the same.

To get horsepower you need fuel, simple as that. Higher horsepower requires bigger injectors = more fuel consumption.

If you are worried about gas milage then u should sell it.

Thats what i thought.

I think hes referring to the cobra equivalent of the urban legend that corvettes getting 35mpg at 70mph in 6th on the highway

Why do you guys even have to make a post like this? The guy is asking a legitimate question.

He's just trying to get facts and you guys are trying to come off like ballers...

OP...as I've gotten into the ported blower stage (2.76 upper only) and 3.73 gears I've seen my mpg dip to 16mpg - 17mpg.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Ever since the 2.9 Whipple I don't see the same mpg. I assume parasitic drag of turning over a much bigger blower when just lightly highway cruising? Not sure. When you drive a 2.9 car hard though it drinks. I average 11 mpg a tank.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
The only time I did a gas mileage calculation was when I bought it (stock blower/pulley combo in my sig.) and I did it out of curiousity on the long drive home from Alabama to Illinois. If I remember correctly, I think I got around 22mpg or better (maybe close to 23mpg) which was all interstate driving and I never really got on it. Waited until I got it home to familiarize myself with it. That being said, I've never looked at mpg again. lol

Last edited:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'm averaging 9.6, but that's entirely city with lots of 1-2 and into 3rd blasts. I never highway cruise except to refill with E85 (about 20 miles 1 way from my garage). 2.3 whipple, 22psi, mega timing

I'm thinking it would go maybe 230-240 miles on a tank if I set it on cruise 65mph. But what fun is that? Lol

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
9.6 is not bad for E85. I see 11 on 91 pump.

Yes, I'm actually pretty happy considering E85 commands at least 35% more fuel wot than gasoline. You averaging 11mpg on gas is eye popping....you been a bad boy! Lol. Mine kind of driving style.

Also, possibly like you said....that bigger 2.9 has more parasitic loss, even over a 2.3.

Users who are viewing this thread