Gas Pump Shuts Off Immediately When Filling Tank

BlueVenom01

Established Member
Recently had my fuel pump replaced. Went to fill up with gas ( tank was on a 1/4) and gas stops pumping almost as soon as it hits the tank, like the tank is already full, when I know it isn't. Took about 10 mins to get a half tank of gas in the car. I suspect it may be the evap canister, but not sure where it is located. Maybe the shop didn't reconnect a hose or maybe there's air in the line or maybe the canister needs to be replaced.... But I need to know exactly where it is so I can assess. Location and pic would be helpful. Thanks for the help!

MG0h3

Established Member
My guess is they screwed up with the safety valve in the filler neck.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
My guess is they screwed up with the safety valve in the filler neck.

what would you look for on that? My car has the opposite problem, it cuts off a little too late or something and fuel runs out everywhere

I think I would run the tank down a bit and try another station/pump. Ive had random pumps that would cut off for no good reason here and there, something with the pump

MG0h3

Established Member
Honestly I’ve never had to diagnose an issue with one but if they put it in backwards I could see not being able to pump fuel correctly.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly I’ve never had to diagnose an issue with one but if they put it in backwards I could see not being able to pump fuel correctly.

are you talking about the check ball? If so that snaps onto the end of the filler neck where it goes into the tank, it cant be put on backwards if it's the same as my car

MG0h3

Established Member
are you talking about the check ball? If so that snaps onto the end of the filler neck where it goes into the tank, it cant be put on backwards if it's the same as my car

Affirm. I really didn’t spend too much time looking at it when doing my fuel system. But yes, did appear that you could put it in backwards so I made note of it’s orientation during tear down.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Just to add some confusion for ya. My Flex started doing that. We thought it was all the things listed above. Turns out spiders had taken up homes inside the vent pipes and clogged it. The scene from blowing out the pipe with compressed air looked like a horror movie. Tons of those little ****ers came flying out.

VA-Mach1

Established Member
The shop broke the safety valve at the end of the filler neck when replacing your fuel pump. I had the same thing happen on my 99. Replaced the filler neck with one from a junk yard and all was good. I could see that the old valve was cracked when I got the filler neck out.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
My last car had a recall on the vent tube. And had the same symptoms you described

And the location of the charcoal canister is in the rear drivers side behind the back tire.

Users who are viewing this thread