Gas smell around FPR and in crankcase

Rock777

Established Member
I have a 97 cobra with an 03 longblock in it with about 7k miles on the motor. It has Aeromotive lines, rails, and fuel pressure regulator. I can smell gas emitting from the braided lines, which isn't a huge deal, but has anyone else experienced this?

I also can smell fuel/fumes in the vac. line that attaches to the fuel pressure regulator. I've checked all fittings for tightness and don't see any leaks whatsoever. I've checked the fuel pressure and it was ~38-39, which I know is on the low side of the stock pressure.

I've came to the conclusion, after talking to Aeromotive tech support, that some vapor will escape from the lines and FPR, BUT I'm concerned about the gassy smell in the crankcase. He said it's somewhat normal, but not so much if it is used as a street car, which it is. What else could cause this smell on a low mileage motor like this?

Also, I am getting a little detonation after bringing it to redline through a few gears, but that could be due to running 87 octane in it, though it is low compression and not supercharged????

Cliffnotes: Braided fuel lines, FPR, and crankcase smell like gas.....What could be causing this???

Do I need to run 93 octane on stock low compression 03 cobra motor with no power adder???

Rock777

Established Member
Just did a quick test of fuel pressure dropoff and the pressure dropped about 10psi in 5 minutes after being shut off. According to the Haynes manual, it basically should not change in 5 minutes...... SO, I am thinking I have an injector sticking/leaking open, thus flooding the cylinder and some running down into crankcase, explaining why I smell gas in the filler cap.

Does this seem reasonable?? Has anyone checked their fuel pressure dropoff? How do I test a leaky injector? Is it just caused by being dirty and cruddy and would a good cleaning with new pintle caps and seals likely fix?

Lots of questions I know, mostly stirring around ideas. Any input at all is much appreciated!

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I have a similar problem. Using dual pushloc supply lines and a pushloc return. I had assumed that it was the lines weeping fumes. I'm using an a1000 regulator that has braided lines to the rails so maybe I need to check there. I'm going to do your fuel pressure drop off test as well. I used new 60# injectors but it's possible one could be faulty. Sometimes when I start the car it will start but be running at super low RPMs and I wonder if that's gas leaking into the cylinder. I hadn't done the crankcase smell test but I will now.

Rock777

Established Member
Well, good news, seeing definite improvement. I poured a bottle of SeaFoam in the tank, half full, last night. I let it idle for a while last night and then drove it around for a while today. I've checked it on a couple occastions since and have noticed the fuel pressured is sustained much better. It is only losing about 1psi in 5-6 minutes, compared to 10psi before the SeaFoam. I've also since changed the oil, which definitely had a smell of gas/fumes.

I'm pretty happy about this. I'm assuming this is probably about normal, as I wouldn't imagine it would hold 40psi with the engine off for hours or anything??? Anyone else ever checked the pressure drop over time?

Guys, thanks for the replies, it is truly appreciated. Any other input is still welcomed.

Users who are viewing this thread