Gauge Installs this weekend - Looking for guides?

petersen302

Established Member
Hi All,

I've searched all over the forums and every link I find is broken. This COVID-19 stuff is driving me nuts so I bought a couple of gauges to install this weekend to keep me busy. I am installing Auto Meter Phantom gauges, a wideband and 35lb boost gauge. Does anyone know the new locations for some of these threads with broken links?

Thanks,
Aaron

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Chances are the pics were never hosted anywhere else. I ran most of my stuff through the main grommet under the master cylinder.

petersen302

Established Member

Albatross

Established Member
I did the same as 01yellercobra. Cut a small hole in the main harness grommet. Be very careful not to puncture the main harness. I used an add-a-circuit for the power source. These can be found on Amazon and makes it very easy. You simply plug them into an existing fuse port and the original circuit and new circuit are now fused. Be sure you have a good ground location too. Good luck dude!

petersen302

Established Member
I did the same as 01yellercobra. Cut a small hole in the main harness grommet. Be very careful not to puncture the main harness. I used an add-a-circuit for the power source. These can be found on Amazon and makes it very easy. You simply plug them into an existing fuse port and the original circuit and new circuit are now fused. Be sure you have a good ground location too. Good luck dude!
Thanks man! Looking forward to it. I bought an add-a-circuit, I guess I was mainly looking for whether people were using forward or rear O2 bungs for the sensor, and where people were entering the vehicle. Seems you guys nailed the entering part! I am also looking to see where the boost gauge goes to, and whether people tap into the stock tube or not.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Dont want to remove front O2 sensors that's how the ECU does closed loop fuel trims. Can use a rear bung but it'll throw a code until you have it tuned off in the tune. My last mid pipe I just made a mark with a sharpie where I wanted it, took the mid pipe off and brought it to a muffler shop. They drilled and welded the bung that comes with the gauge on. Didnt even charge, just tossed the guy a 20 for being cool and doing it while I stood there.

You have cats?

Albatross

Established Member
I don't have a dedicated boost gauge because my aeroforce monitors this through the obd port so unfortunately I can't help you there. I welded a bung for my wideband on the driver side of the x pipe a few inches behind the header collector. If you go this route just make sure you put it up at an angle so moisture doesn't gather on the sensor and ruin it. Black02GT is correct. It will throw a code if you use an existing o2 bung.

petersen302

Established Member
A bit more info on the car may have help, its pretty heavily modified and I have a bung already welded in behind the collector. No existing O2's will be removed.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
A bit more info on the car may have help, its pretty heavily modified and I have a bung already welded in behind the collector. No existing O2's will be removed.

Put it in that bung then. I'm confused by the question. I run mine close behind the front 02 sensors.

petersen302

Established Member
Put it in that bung then. I'm confused by the question. I run mine close behind the front 02 sensors.
From all of my reading, some say that placing them before the merge point of the X pipe means you'll only get readings out of 1 bank. Is that what most people consider fine?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
From all of my reading, some say that placing them before the merge point of the X pipe means you'll only get readings out of 1 bank. Is that what most people consider fine?

You are correct I have dual sensors so I wanted that. Didnt factor into my thinking when I weighed in, my fault. In that case the rear may be better.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You'll be fine. I have dual sensors for my MS3 and they're usually within .2 or .3 of each other. Really the closer to the engine the better for the wideband sensor. I had a bung welded just behind the driver side O2 sensor when I only had the one.

Behind the glove box is the line that runs to the dash. I'm pretty sure it's yellow. That's where I'm tapped for all my internal boost/vacuum stuff.

petersen302

Established Member
You are correct I have dual sensors so I wanted that. Didnt factor into my thinking when I weighed in, my fault. In that case the rear may be better.
Not your fault, I should have been more clear. I appreciate all the responses! Im just excited to not be in my house for a few hours! (I work from home usually anyway, but this is nuts)

petersen302

Established Member
You'll be fine. I have dual sensors for my MS3 and they're usually within .2 or .3 of each other. Really the closer to the engine the better for the wideband sensor. I had a bung welded just behind the driver side O2 sensor when I only had the one.

Behind the glove box is the line that runs to the dash. I'm pretty sure it's yellow. That's where I'm tapped for all my internal boost/vacuum stuff.
Thank you!

petersen302

Established Member
Wrapped it up this weekend and the car is off getting paint correction and ceramic!

Attachments

• IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 109

Users who are viewing this thread