Gear and tire ?

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
I am going to try to do some open track and open road challenge events this year and I am wondering about what gear to run. I am trying to decide between 4.10 and 4.30 gears and I am leaning toward the 4.30's but I am wondering if this will be too much gear for high speed courses?

Also I am wondering if it's feasable to run 275/35x18(f) and 295/35x18(r) on 00R 18X9.5" w/ this gear combo?

Thanx for any help! :beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Where are you at as far as power? What tracks will you be running. Those two things will be your biggest determining factors.

For a stock powered(or close to it) 01 Cobra, I would say run either 3.90 or 4.10 gears, 4.30's will be too much for a bigger track.

Brian

REX-RACER

Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Where are you at as far as power? What tracks will you be running. Those two things will be your biggest determining factors.

For a stock powered(or close to it) 01 Cobra, I would say run either 3.90 or 4.10 gears, 4.30's will be too much for a bigger track.

Brian

Thanx Cora-R! That's exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I am hoping to do an open track at Road America some time this summer and possibly Hallet ( sp? ) and few other tracks here in the mid-west. My big goal is to make the Silver State Classic in September.

The car will have most of the basic bolt ons + 100 shot of N2O so I'm hoping to see somewhere in the 425 hp range.

BTW, how does my tire combo look?

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Your going to have roughly a 1/2" difference in height between the fron and rear, although not ideal, it will probly work. I run same size front and rear to keep the abs in check and so I can rotate tires around on the car as they wear. Your setup would be faster (everything being equal), mine is cheaper. ;)

Good luck and have fun. We run RA quite often, so look us up when you are there.

Brian

REX-RACER

Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Your going to have roughly a 1/2" difference in height between the fron and rear, although not ideal, it will probly work. I run same size front and rear to keep the abs in check and so I can rotate tires around on the car as they wear. Your setup would be faster (everything being equal), mine is cheaper. ;)

Good luck and have fun. We run RA quite often, so look us up when you are there.

Brian

Dude, when are you there??? This is my first year and I can't wait! :pepper: :burnout: :banana:

Can you get me a schedule of when other Cobra owners will be there? :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Doug:

I agree with Brian that the 4:30's might be a little much? If you were never going to do a large track, I would say it might be ok? But you mentioned Road America which is the epitome of large tracks. 4:30's are pretty extreme!

FWIW

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
gears etc

just fyi,, i have a 00r and run 410's. at road america, those gears are to much. on the long straights, i would run out of rpm's. my thought is maybe 355's. i think all in all, unless you have your own technician to swap gears for each track, 373's might me a good compromise gear. at hallett, the 410's will be ok. if you come this way, heartland park, the 410 will be ok also. you will find the guys on this board are very helpful, abit strange :rockon: but helpful.. scott

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
scottmartin said:
just fyi,, i have a 00r and run 410's. at road america, those gears are to much. on the long straights, i would run out of rpm's. scott

Scott:

Please expand on this as I'm not quite sure what you're saying? What gear are you in when you experience this "run out of RPM's condition?

Thanks,

scottmartin

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Scott:

Please expand on this as I'm not quite sure what you're saying? What gear are you in when you experience this "run out of RPM's condition?

Thanks,
bruce, on the long straight at ra,, i was in 4th gear and just about out of rpms. i may have bouced off the rev limiter. i was not able to shift to 5th. my thought was, with 355s, i would not experience this? true or not?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
scottmartin said:
bruce, on the long straight at ra,, i was in 4th gear and just about out of rpms. i may have bouced off the rev limiter. i was not able to shift to 5th. my thought was, with 355s, i would not experience this? true or not?

Are you saying on the front stretch that you're still in 4th gear with 4:10's? Why were you unable to shift to 5th gear? Something isn't adding up?

I am close to the rev limiter with the stock 3:55's in 4th gear on the front stretch! That's about a buck and a half give or take?

Thanks,

Cobra-R

Established Member
The straight away at Brainerd is 5200' long and you don't brake for the turn at the end of it, you pretty much top out a car there. In my 01 Cobra with 4.10's it was fine. Could 3.73's or 3.90's do better? Probly, but my point is it was fine there, it will be fine at RA.

Scott.
Remember, you have more power, different transmission, and different tires in your Cobra R and Cobra.

Brian

scottmartin

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Are you saying on the front stretch that you're still in 4th gear with 4:10's? Why were you unable to shift to 5th gear? Something isn't adding up?

I am close to the rev limiter with the stock 3:55's in 4th gear on the front stretch! That's about a buck and a half give or take?

Thanks,[/Q bruce: on the last turn, i am in 3rd and run it up the hill. i then shift to 4th and run it to red line. i feel i dont have time to shift to 5th where more rpm's are available. i am at 137 or 140 at that point. does that help?

scottmartin

Established Member
Cobra-R said:
The straight away at Brainerd is 5200' long and you don't brake for the turn at the end of it, you pretty much top out a car there. In my 01 Cobra with 4.10's it was fine. Could 3.73's or 3.90's do better? Probly, but my point is it was fine there, it will be fine at RA.

Scott.
Remember, you have more power, different transmission, and different tires in your Cobra R and Cobra.

Brian
i really think the 04 cobra with the 355 will get a quicker time at ra than the r with 410;s do you agree? the power is comparable and so is the suspension.

Cobra-R

Established Member
scottmartin said:
i really think the 04 cobra with the 355 will get a quicker time at ra than the r with 410;s do you agree? the power is comparable and so is the suspension.

I really don't know since I have never driven either an 03/04 cobra or a 4.10 geared R car at RA, but I certainly would'nt doubt it. I do know Joe J has said that 4.10's are too much for RA in his 00R.

My point was the original question is on a 01 Cobra which is what I was referring to and holds very little comparison to either the R or the 03/04 Cobra(as far as gearing). I apoligize if I didn't make that clear.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
scottmartin said:
ac427cobra said:

Thanks,[/Q bruce: on the last turn, i am in 3rd and run it up the hill. i then shift to 4th and run it to red line. i feel i dont have time to shift to 5th where more rpm's are available. i am at 137 or 140 at that point. does that help?

Scott:

If what you're saying is true, then I think it is impossible that you have 4:10's in your car?

Sorry to be such a pain but I don't think your explanation is making sense?! I'm in fourth gear close to the rev limiter with 3:55's. You can't have the same condition with your car unless you are running some absolute monster diameter meats on the back which I don't think is the case?

Help!!! :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

scottmartin

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Scott:

If what you're saying is true, then I think it is impossible that you have 4:10's in your car?

Sorry to be such a pain but I don't think your explanation is making sense?! I'm in fourth gear close to the rev limiter with 3:55's. You can't have the same condition with your car unless you are running some absolute monster diameter meats on the back which I don't think is the case?

Help!!! :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:
well, i think i know. i am in 4th gear at about 135/137 and am right at 6200 rps's or so. if i shift to 5th, i lose a little speed and rpm's. does my speed make sense? i am 13 or 15 mph less than you. i am not running big meats on the back. i feel the same way about the straight at mam. i am in 4th gear and tach out. help!!

scottmartin

Established Member
Cobra-R said:
I really don't know since I have never driven either an 03/04 cobra or a 4.10 geared R car at RA, but I certainly would'nt doubt it. I do know Joe J has said that 4.10's are too much for RA in his 00R.

My point was the original question is on a 01 Cobra which is what I was referring to and holds very little comparison to either the R or the 03/04 Cobra(as far as gearing). I apoligize if I didn't make that clear.
brian, i m gonna look for a weekend event at brainerd and bring both cars. your welcome to jam the gears in both. sound good? :pepper:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
scottmartin said:
well, i think i know. i am in 4th gear at about 135/137 and am right at 6200 rps's or so. if i shift to 5th, i lose a little speed and rpm's. does my speed make sense? i am 13 or 15 mph less than you. i am not running big meats on the back. i feel the same way about the straight at mam. i am in 4th gear and tach out. help!!

Scott:

If you are tached out in fourth gear, you would be better off to shift into 5th gear and get some of that awesome "R" torque working for you! :idea: This was explained to me by Fred and Ted at VIR last December and I tried it and I actually feel the car accelerates more! Don't feel bad, I used to run my r's up also right to the limit. I think the shifting is a better method.

If you're in 4th gear at 135 turning 6,200 and I'm in 4th gear at 149 turning 6,500 I find it hard to believe that is the only difference between a 3:55 and a 4:10? Something just is not adding up? If in fact that is the case, I may regret only going to 4:10's? Maybe 4:30's are not so "out there"? I will find out for sure on April 8th when I hit the asphalt at Road America?

Damn, did I just let part of the cat out of the bag here?!?! Damn! :bash:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

scottmartin

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Scott:

If you are tached out in fourth gear, you would be better off to shift into 5th gear and get some of that awesome "R" torque working for you! :idea: This was explained to me by Fred and Ted at VIR last December and I tried it and I actually feel the car accelerates more! Don't feel bad, I used to run my r's up also right to the limit. I think the shifting is a better method.

If you're in 4th gear at 135 turning 6,200 and I'm in 4th gear at 149 turning 6,500 I find it hard to believe that is the only difference between a 3:55 and a 4:10? Something just is not adding up? If in fact that is the case, I may regret only going to 4:10's? Maybe 4:30's are not so "out there"? I will find out for sure on April 8th when I hit the asphalt at Road America?

Damn, did I just let part of the cat out of the bag here?!?! Damn! :bash:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:
bruce: what is your speed and tach at the end of the straight at mam? i have the same problem there. new gears huh?

Users who are viewing this thread