Votes: 7 6.1%

Votes: 22 19.3%

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • 3.31 or other?

Votes: 82 71.9%

• Total voters

Surfergeek

Established Member
I have a 2013 Coyote with the MT-82 and FRPP 624HP Supercharger.

Factory FRPP tune now, but will eventually be around the 600WHP mark when all is said and done.

The car currently has 18" wheels with 285/35 Pilot Super Sports.

It's my Daily Driver and is used for open track days / HPDE and will be autocrossed, mostly for fun as the supercharger puts me into the Street Modified class where I won't be highly competitive.

It came with 3.73 gears and already with the supercharger, they are too much. 1st and 2nd are pretty well worthless and I would like to have more room to run on the track.

I have been looking at gears for the rear end and have narrowed it down to 3.27, 3.15, or 3.08.

Should help get the power down better and be more useable.

Input or thoughts on which way to go?

From lots of reading / searching / putting numbers into calculators and thinking about how the car is used, it seems 3.27 or 3.15 might be the way to go, but I keep coming back to looking at the 3.08 as a possibility. It's roughly equivalent to the 2011 GT500 with a 3.55. Gives one something to think about if I am missing something there.

blkstang302

Established Member
Why did you put 3.31 or "other"? A lot of people are running that gear but now you wont be able to tell how many are actually 3.31

I'm 3.31 with a roush tvs going on tmrw. I plan on keeping the 3.31's. From what I've seen 3.31 and 3.15 are popular for these kind of applications.

Notfast2012

Established Member
I guess I am opposite I have 3.55 and I have 4.10's going in! My left leg is going to get a workout. I also have a procharger which makes less torque.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I have to say I have changed my mind on what gear after my 10.35 run on the stock 3:15 gears. I was going to install 3:55's But I'll be keeping the 3.15's.
This was on a 28" DR too.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
first gear is useless with 373's stock. but i cant imagine 331's being usable in first gear with boost.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
1-3 will spin on me any time. 4th will spin when shifted fast or powershifted. Granted I'm still on the stock Pirelli's but they hooked decently when stock. I am going to 3.15 or 3.31 when I get around to working on my diff.

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
I started with 3.73's then I put 3.55's in the car and I would be shifting into 5th a couple hundred feet from the traps In the 1/4 and that was with a 28'' tall DR. So I just recently went down to a 3.27 so I can keep in 4th through the traps.

Deespeed99

Established Member
1-3 will spin on me any time. 4th will spin when shifted fast or powershifted. Granted I'm still on the stock Pirelli's but they hooked decently when stock. I am going to 3.15 or 3.31 when I get around to working on my diff.

I agree the stock tires do decent above 1st gear. Im curious to hear the opinions of those running around on DR with 3.73's.

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
And of you have a mt-82 and you are going to change out the rear gears I would look at putting a tru trac in it cause going to the track with it your spider gears are on borrowed time. I was lucky to make it through the first race season but this last season I shattered the spider gears!! Haha I mean its just something to look into.

Surfergeek

Established Member
Keep the input coming guys ... Especially those that have had experience with the 3.15s or 3.27 as opposed to the 3.31.

Keep in mind for me I have shorter tires than stock (18" with a 35 sidewall) and also will be doing road coarse and auto-x as my primary uses for the car when it comes to spirited driving.

It's my intention to the change LSD at the same time. Most likely going to go with the Wavetrac. I had a quaife in a previous car and loved it. Would have gotten one for this car if it was available.

Surfergeek

Established Member
I have to say I have changed my mind on what gear after my 10.35 run on the stock 3:15 gears. I was going to install 3:55's But I'll be keeping the 3.15's.
This was on a 28" DR too.

Nice times! What's your experience been with the 3.15s as your daily driver? Any complaints there or observations to share?

Ever do any auto-x or road course racing?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Nice times! What's your experience been with the 3.15s as your daily driver? Any complaints there or observations to share?

he has an auto, they have different ratio's in them than the mt-82's do.

Jukens

Established Member
I'm very curious too. I can't stand my 3.73s Paxton setup for daily driving.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member

I hated the way the stock tune made the car shift too early when driving around the city. It would be into 5th gear at 38 mph and 6th at 43mph.
A tune changed all that. Now the car stays in the RPM range I like and doesn't shift into OD until highway speed.
With the torque the TVS makes the 3.15's are more than enough gear.
If it was NA I would put the 3.55's in.

Users who are viewing this thread