Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
It's ..JUST the....

oldnfast said:
Should have been followed by, "and which ones have you tried on your car?"

The only people that knock tall gears are those looking for top end, & the ignorant.

If 195 (6600) isn't fast enough...call NASA

While it isn't my thing...I'd guess that 4.10's pull harder...ALL..the way to the top, in 5th & 6th.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
anyone have 4.10s on a 600rwhp cobra? I have the power and I can slide sideways all the way through 3rd and easing into the throttle doesnt make
any difference. your telling me 4.10s would be an improvement? hows that?

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Next month

BuffDigits said:
anyone have 4.10s on a 600rwhp cobra? I have the power and I can slide sideways all the way through 3rd and easing into the throttle doesnt make
any difference. your telling me 4.10s would be an improvement? hows that?

I'm planning on it in a few weeks...waiting on some new equipment availability. With 475hp on 315 BFG/DR's the car is very controllable..so I'm guessing(?) that w/600 it hopefully(?) won't be totally nuts...the gas pedal works both ways...

We'll see...like you say its silly w/3.55's...so whats the harm in trying..can always change gears...

redfire03 svt

Established Member
You will love them. I love my 4:10's with my 2.76 It does spin alot but I don't have drag radials. No hop though and it pulls like a mutha!

Last edited:

03silverdrop

Established Member
Yeah, these gears are just plain sick. I've got plenty of traction with the nitto's even in first gear. Can't wait to get to the track with slicks. Can you say, hello low 11's? I'm very condfident with the gears and the slicks I can hit mid to low ll's. In a vert with full interior......that's just sick!!

Mechanic

I am a Honky
Established Member
I am also looking into the gear swap. My car is a 98 cobra with a 5spd and 3.27:1 gears. Solid rear axle,stock tires, no blower no IRS. The gear ratios are 3.37 for 1st, 1.99 for second, and 1.33 for third, and 1.00 for fourth and .67 for 5th. Is there any calculator available online for this? I would like to pull 12's in the car with just a gear swap and maybe a shot of nitrous. I would still like to drive the thing on the interstate.

03svtsnakevert

COPASNICKA
Established Member
you know speaking of tire diameter...changing 4.10's and then going to a taller tire kind of defeats the purpose...as it will bring your gears back down to the 3.73 range...

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
i would have to say the best all around gear for our cars should have been 3.73. what they really should have done is the viper spec T56 with 4.10. so you would get better gas mileage. the o/d on it is like .57 or something get for freeway with 4.10.

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Actually it ...ISN'T

me32.....I'm guessing you haven't changed gears and/or haven't been in a car w/4.10's (w/stock trans) ...right?

Your logic is flawed...grasshopper

A 3.73 gear is a negligable (6%) change..i.e 3000rpm to 3180 (you'd never notice it). The Viper 6th gear w/4:10's puts you at a cruising (60-80mph) engine speed BELOW peak efficiency.

WHERE did this myth come from that LOWER rpm = better economy. AIN'T NECESSARILY SO!!! There is a point in the rpm range where BELOW it the motor is actually working HARDER...USING MORE GAS...LUGGING. The Viper gears were ONLY installed to get past EPA (dyno) tests & have NO real world advantage.

Do yourself a big favor...before TELLING US...what are the best gears...go change the gears in YOUR car first...O.K??? And, yes I HAVE had 4:10 gears..for 3 years...

Almo

Established Member
My Cobra will be done soon.

4.10's with 600+ RWHP. I look forward to it and I wouldn't think about going any lower.

F8LVNM

Established Member
If I go 3.90 how will my top end be (I have 3.55) would I of lost gained or stayed about the same.

Last edited:

Snarf

Lacey Chabert FTW!
Established Member
Bump up from the dead :)

449/443 at the wheels with 4.10s and I freaking LOVE THEM!

If you have stock gears and are even remotely considering doing a gearswap, take my advice and go for it! You'll love it!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
It has been said, and I think a fair amount of the answers in this thread show that 4.10s in the 4.6L engines are the best all around gear.

I have a 95 cobra and put 3.55s in them .. I did my research AFTER my gear swap and realized I should have gone to 3.73s . but the difference between 3.55s and 3.73s are not enough to justify the cost of swapping them again ...

While doing the research on my car I talked to a couple of FORD guys .. prolly the best FORD guys in Austin and one of them has prolly forgotten more about mustangs than a fair number of us know .. combined LOL! ..

They further drove home the point that the 4.6L engine LOVEs 4.10 gears ... anything less and you are doing your car a disservice *heh* when I get my 4.6L stick .. 4.10s are going in ...

CobraGirlSVT

Established Member
Yep, the only thing I hate about my 4.10s is that I didn't have them installed sooner.

The car should have come from the factory with these gears.

Am I the only one who saw their gas mileage improve? I'm guessing it's because I get into 6th sooner but I saw about a 1.5 mile per gallon increase. Not earthshattering but nice nevertheless.

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
I am pullied with cat-back right now with 3.55's and from a roll in 2nd, I can't hook up with Nitto DR's. Soon I will be Stage III ported with JLT CAI and x-pipe, I can't imagine that 4.10's would do me a lot of good. Sound fun as hell but on the street if I'm runnin' a vette or camaro, I'm technically going to get walked on because on will still be in the same spot where I punched it smoking the tires, I'm keeping my 3.55's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread