Gen 3 Raptor to be unveiled Feb 3rd

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I just wish they would quit cramming so much shit into vehicles to drive the price up. Who is actually going to use any of the fancy tech they put in the new raptor? Won't surprise me if they stay around 100k or more for quite some time.

I know it's never going to happen, but if all the features and tech matched my 2008 F250 I'd be happy as can be. Knobs, buttons, and zero BS. Not to mention huge cost savings and less maintenance or failures to worry about.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I hear they going to make the Raptor R out of adamantium and charge 500k for it, also you need 1million viewers on Youtube to get it and it'll come with a 50k adm.

Wasn't funny the first time you said it and it still isn't funny 10 times later, get over it.

Ford is clearly proud of the sales of the Raptor, noting that it outsells all of Porsche's lineup and the Corvette. Odd comparisons but notable and it explains why they aren't drastically changing the core mission of the truck. I wish it had a V8 this go around but it sounds like the R variant may be the one to get it and that is good enough for me. Complaining isn't going to change anything and I likely won't be purchasing one anytime soon although I would like one. Good improvements I think and it sounds much better. When I first heard it I thought maybe they were dropping the FGT spec 3.5 in it but it sounds like they just retuned the exhaust. Has anyone seen horsepower numbers yet?

john11gt

Established Member
No, Ford rumored to have an R before the TRX was released.

No, RAM won't do anything.

Manufacturers don't play each other as much as you'd think they do.

Ford is having a hard enough time producing MY21 F-150s as it is, this will be a shortened production (volume-wise) year, so it would make sense to not force more specialty units down the throats of the line workers in Dearborn.

I agree ram won’t do anything because they don’t have to. They have set the bar in regards to power.

On the rare chance that Ford actually puts a blown v8 in the raptor, dodge can still do a red eye variant at 800hp.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Wasn't funny the first time you said it and it still isn't funny 10 times later, get over it.

Ford is clearly proud of the sales of the Raptor, noting that it outsells all of Porsche's lineup and the Corvette. Odd comparisons but notable and it explains why they aren't drastically changing the core mission of the truck. I wish it had a V8 this go around but it sounds like the R variant may be the one to get it and that is good enough for me. Complaining isn't going to change anything and I likely won't be purchasing one anytime soon although I would like one. Good improvements I think and it sounds much better. When I first heard it I thought maybe they were dropping the FGT spec 3.5 in it but it sounds like they just retuned the exhaust. Has anyone seen horsepower numbers yet?
Wasn't meant to be funny. Just stating the facts of how Ford sells vehicles these days.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Wasn't meant to be funny. Just stating the facts of how Ford sells vehicles these days.

So one half million dollar supercar in their entire 118 year history sold by application represents how they sell their entire vehicles lineup now... got it. I guess I better start that Youtube channel now if I want to get a Bronco.

My94GT

Established Member
I agree ram won’t do anything because they don’t have to. They have set the bar in regards to power.

On the rare chance that Ford actually puts a blown v8 in the raptor, dodge can still do a red eye variant at 800hp.

as much as FCA is regularly adding different trim levels to their line ups to keep them relevant I’d be shocked if they didn’t do something when the raptor R drops.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
It’s fine overall. Suspension looks really cool. Body doesn’t hardly seem different at all IMO so there’s that. Hot take, Im not sold on the new f150 interior. Steering wheel is fugly, the folding console shifter is stupid (I know it’s for the dining table option) but I prefer column shift anyways. I prefer to adjust HVAC and radio with knobs.
I’ve been lucky/happy with my 15 eco but I know there have been a ton of problems. How Ford has yet to figure out cam phasers is beyond me. Hope they’ve got that covered with the gen 3 eco but probably not thanks to “progress.” I used to want a raptor but I tow almost every weekend between March and Christmas. My next truck will be a Godzilla F250. Probably will need to get one before 2023 MY since that’ll be the redesign

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I like it. 37s stock are badass. Even sounds a bit better....but still ecoboost...still v6 sound coming out of your truck...

this, to me, is the equivalent of going out to eat a succulent piece of New York strip steak and finding a toe nail or curly hair in your mashed potatos.... Sure you may pick it up and throw the contaminant away, but deep down you wish you didn’t have to deal with that....

Raptor should come with a V8... not a gender fluid sounding eco-bust.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
How Ford has yet to figure out cam phasers is beyond me. Hope they’ve got that covered with the gen 3 eco but probably not thanks to “progress.”

Nobody has figured out cam phasers yet as far as longevity goes. Ford has had some major issues with it but BMW, Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, and FCA all have major issues with cam phasers and their VVT designs over time. BMW might be among the worst and Honda's issues arise because people don't drive their cars hard enough and so the oil passages get clogged up. Ford's issues and most cam phaser issues can be solved with strict oil change intervals and using specific filters and oil.

andymarkv

Established Member
But, it's no secret that Ford truck fans have been screaming for a new V8 Raptor. Ford marketing has bungled time and time again. They're a bit out of touch with what their customers want. JMO.
I agree!...sort of. I think Ford is well aware of what customers want...but what will they buy is what they're really concerned with.

There are many examples of customer pull for unique vehicles...but when the rubber met the road, the buyers didn't show up.

I'm sure Ford is trying to find the sweet spot of keeping enthusiasts happy, while meeting demands of actual buyers.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I like it. 37s stock are badass. Even sounds a bit better....but still ecoboost...still v6 sound coming out of your truck...

this, to me, is the equivalent of going out to eat a succulent piece of New York strip steak and finding a toe nail or curly hair in your mashed potatos.... Sure you may pick it up and throw the contaminant away, but deep down you wish you didn’t have to deal with that....

Raptor should come with a V8... not a gender fluid sounding eco-bust.

I love the analogy bro! Haha. I didn't think you were going to go that direction with that, but I would say more like going out to a nice restaurant to get a great steak but then receiving it and it is cooked well done and is dry. Sure you can eat it and it could still have good flavor but it's just not the same as if it were a juicy rare or medium rare cooked steak.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I love the analogy bro! Haha. I didn't think you were going to go that direction with that, but I would say more like going out to a nice restaurant to get a great steak but then receiving it and it is cooked well done and is dry. Sure you can eat it and it could still have good flavor but it's just not the same as if it were a juicy rare or medium rare cooked steak.

that’s another good one!

I don’t think there is a single one of us (car guys) that would prefer having the ecoboost say over a 7.3L or even a 5.2 supercharged... not one.

My94GT

Established Member
I’m also curious to hear one in person, the sound clip is promising. If it’s going to have the ecoboost I’d also be curious the average fuel milage.

I’m sure the raptor R will be an animal it’s just a shame they couldn’t show it today as well.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
Nobody has figured out cam phasers yet as far as longevity goes. Ford has had some major issues with it but BMW, Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, and FCA all have major issues with cam phasers and their VVT designs over time. BMW might be among the worst and Honda's issues arise because people don't drive their cars hard enough and so the oil passages get clogged up. Ford's issues and most cam phaser issues can be solved with strict oil change intervals and using specific filters and oil.
simply, its because 99% of people DONT CHANGE THEIR OIL regularly. I worked in a service department for 13 years. very few people even remotely maintain their car properly. the most are 10k+ between oil changes. this wreaks havoc on VVT systems and people can't figure that out. ive had quite a few VVT cars and never and issue.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
simply, its because 99% of people DONT CHANGE THEIR OIL regularly. I worked in a service department for 13 years. very few people even remotely maintain their car properly. the most are 10k+ between oil changes. this wreaks havoc on VVT systems and people can't figure that out. ive had quite a few VVT cars and never and issue.

I saw the exact same thing. Had a few customers with the 3V F150s known for the issue but they knew that it meant bringing the truck in at each interval on the dot and only using Motorcraft filters. The one guy I can remember had over 200k miles on his and there were no issues with it, no ticking, and he never brought it into us for any major repairs, just normal service.

It's exactly what you said though. Lack of service is the root cause yet the blame goes to the manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread