Gen 3 Raptor to be unveiled Feb 3rd

blk02edge

Established Member
where are the reviews from those in the know who have first hand put the truck through it’s paces?

I’m sure there is merit to what you’re saying but you haven’t tested both the raptor and TRX same day same course so it’s still an opinion at this point.
I haven't seen anyone in the real offroad industry test them because they are both irrelevant to people who build proper offroad trucks. Really at this point the Raptor simply has a much bigger diameter shock (think of a skinny arm vs a weight lifter arm in an arm wrestle) to a lighter package with a bit more suspension travel, which provides more room for that shock to work. And with a 37" tire option that has similar travel #'s to the TRX. The bigger tire makes obstacles smaller.

A 3.0 is somewhere around 40-50% more powerful than a 2.5. Its extremely noticable when you are beating it up for longer than a 30second video clip. (Shocks boil very quick in the desert)

So really, Dodge trolls are 100% about the engine and nothing more. Fair enough, whatever floats your boat.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I know he was directing that at me and Im a big advocate for the 7.3 so, buncha nonsense lol

I thought it was directed at ssj4sadie? He owns a Gen 2 Raptor

Whoops prematurely posted that one.Mama said the 7.3 is too heavy vs 5.0 weight and power so there ya go

My94GT

Established Member
I haven't seen anyone in the real offroad industry test them because they are both irrelevant to people who build proper offroad trucks. Really at this point the Raptor simply has a much bigger diameter shock (think of a skinny arm vs a weight lifter arm in an arm wrestle) to a lighter package with a bit more suspension travel, which provides more room for that shock to work. And with a 37" tire option that has similar travel #'s to the TRX. The bigger tire makes obstacles smaller.

A 3.0 is somewhere around 40-50% more powerful than a 2.5. Its extremely noticable when you are beating it up for longer than a 30second video clip. (Shocks boil very quick in the desert)

So really, Dodge trolls are 100% about the engine and nothing more. Fair enough, whatever floats your boat.
I understand how shocks work I’ve built more then a few sets when I used to track bikes and it’s not as cut and dry as the housing size all the time. Unless it’s vastly different with truck shocks, with bikes you could manipulate spring rate, valve shims, valve openings, oil weight, oil level. All had different impacts.

now if you were comparing a 2.5 fox car a 3.0 fox of the same line of shock I think there would likely be a much more noticeable difference but I wonder how the fox 3.0 can the bilstien 2.5 compare.

I will agree however this debate is likely a moot point as I remember when I used to look more into raptors and the guys that actually used and abused them swapped out suspension as the factory stuff did a great job of looking the part but often was still lesser quality.

I get it though, to me it’s like a bike that comes with brembo calipers and swapping for mono blocks, way way different functionality and price point to boot.

All this debating aside I look forward to seeing how the new raptor does, for the street only buyers it’s likely still the winning ticket just to get better than 12mpg lol

blk02edge

Established Member
I understand how shocks work I’ve built more then a few sets when I used to track bikes and it’s not as cut and dry as the housing size all the time. Unless it’s vastly different with truck shocks, with bikes you could manipulate spring rate, valve shims, valve openings, oil weight, oil level. All had different impacts.

now if you were comparing a 2.5 fox car a 3.0 fox of the same line of shock I think there would likely be a much more noticeable difference but I wonder how the fox 3.0 can the bilstien 2.5 compare.

I will agree however this debate is likely a moot point as I remember when I used to look more into raptors and the guys that actually used and abused them swapped out suspension as the factory stuff did a great job of looking the part but often was still lesser quality.

I get it though, to me it’s like a bike that comes with brembo calipers and swapping for mono blocks, way way different functionality and price point to boot.

All this debating aside I look forward to seeing how the new raptor does, for the street only buyers it’s likely still the winning ticket just to get better than 12mpg lol
Yea, well in the offroad world a lot of it has more to do with brute strength rather than precise control like the bike/road race stuff.

The live valving in these is more so to create a more comfy ride over the shutter bumps rather than all out performance. Which is likely on an equal playing field between these two with max on demand valving being much stronger in the 3.1" Raptor shock.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
More travel with a much bigger shock. Difference between a 2.5 and 3.0 is huge in control especially when you also factor in the weight. As far as dirt goes the Raptor is certainly a superior truck.
I thought it was the same travel with the 37? Would the TRX lose travel if one upped to 37s?

2.5 vs 3.0 makes sense but I don’t see anything more than that. I could be wrong.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I thought it was the same travel with the 37? Would the TRX lose travel if one upped to 37s?

2.5 vs 3.0 makes sense but I don’t see anything more than that. I could be wrong.
He's been nut ridding his "Race Car Ranger" for months and crying about 3" shocks.

Fact is, the factory 2.5" Foxes on the Raptor are cheap marketing garbage, just like thr 2" Foxes on the previous. I'm sure the 3" will also be garbage.

Without external adjustable bypasses, they'll just be fancy bling.

Tons of guys build 2.5" based Pre-Runners and are very successful. I'm curious how the Bilstiens turn out. I know Bilstiens has been a major player for decades in the lower tier off-road world, fantastic bang for buck.

Ranger boy continues to with his fantasy that a Raptard or TRX should be a Trophy Truck.

That's like crying the new GT500 can't compete with a Indy Car on the track.

A Trophy Truck is as much a Factory Truck as a Hondas F1 car is a Honda Civic.

blk02edge

Established Member
He's been nut ridding his "Race Car Ranger" for months and crying about 3" shocks.

Fact is, the factory 2.5" Foxes on the Raptor are cheap marketing garbage, just like thr 2" Foxes on the previous. I'm sure the 3" will also be garbage.

Without external adjustable bypasses, they'll just be fancy bling.

Tons of guys build 2.5" based Pre-Runners and are very successful. I'm curious how the Bilstiens turn out. I know Bilstiens has been a major player for decades in the lower tier off-road world, fantastic bang for buck.

Ranger boy continues to with his fantasy that a Raptard or TRX should be a Trophy Truck.

That's like crying the new GT500 can't compete with a Indy Car on the track.

A Trophy Truck is as much a Factory Truck as a Hondas F1 car is a Honda Civic.
What's mid travel? Hahaha right, you aren't sure.
@ZYBORG, I thought the Ford fanboys were mad, your boy here spat all over his computer screen.

I've also never said either should be even half what a trophy truck is, I've only ever made fun of the people who said the TRX was going to be damn near one.

Quit making stuff up, its only a discussion

No, Raptor loses some travel with 37's. And that would be on bump, the TRX would as well.

Until you break out the old sawzall.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Nobody has figured out cam phasers yet as far as longevity goes. Ford has had some major issues with it but BMW, Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, and FCA all have major issues with cam phasers and their VVT designs over time. BMW might be among the worst and Honda's issues arise because people don't drive their cars hard enough and so the oil passages get clogged up. Ford's issues and most cam phaser issues can be solved with strict oil change intervals and using specific filters and oil.
Laughs in Toyota/Lexus.

ZINCYELLOW01

Established Member
What's mid travel? Hahaha right, you aren't sure.
@ZYBORG, I thought the Ford fanboys were mad, your boy here spat all over his computer screen.

I've also never said either should be even half what a trophy truck is, I've only ever made fun of the people who said the TRX was going to be damn near one.

Quit making stuff up, its only a discussion

No, Raptor loses some travel with 37's. And that would be on bump, the TRX would as well.

Until you break out the old sawzall.

I'm honestly shocked that either of these trucks made it to market without your expertise! Have you applied for a job at Ford or Dodge? You should. I can't imagine how much better these trucks would be with you calling the shots in the engineering dept.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm honestly shocked that either of these trucks made it to market without your expertise! Have you applied for a job at Ford or Dodge? You should. I can't imagine how much better these trucks would be with you calling the shots in the engineering dept.

I lol’d although that’s not quite fair. He does know his shit about off road.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

blk02edge

Established Member
I can tell ya both these trucks made it to market with the help of offroad shops who absolutely cringed at the amount of times they were told nope by bean counters. Lol

I am curious if you actually read my posts or just following the crowd?

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I can tell ya both these trucks made it to market with the help of offroad shops who absolutely cringed at the amount of times they were told nope by bean counters. Lol

I am curious if you actually read my posts or just following the crowd?
Considering he only has 207 post in 13yrs i say hes just jumping on the wagon

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I thought it was directed at ssj4sadie? He owns a Gen 2 Raptor

Whoops prematurely posted that one.Mama said the 7.3 is too heavy vs 5.0 weight and power so there ya go
Was it directed at me? If by calling for the Ford marketing team to be lined and shot is me being a fanboy...then I don't know what to say. I don't think I have said one positive thing about the Gen 3 on this forum.

Edit: But if it was about the TRX vs Raptor statement. It was a statement of fact. There will be TRXs that come to the off-roading place where I and other Raptor owners go.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Just wanted to post the Gen 1 with 2.5's is a stout offroad truck with some basic upgrades such as a bumpstop & deavers leafsprings.

*If you can tweak a frame with 2.5's you can tweak it with 3's without proper upgrades.

I've seen guys send it with 2.5's and have no issues on the heavier steel body Raptors.

The main upside to a 3.0 at least for me was more oil cooling. Especially when I hit miles of non stop ruts,bumps etc at 40+ mph, and adjustable features are nice.

I have no clue how the bilsteins work but the fox 2.5's on the Gen 1 Raptor were fine for moderate usage. 90% of Raptor owners would never exceed what the 2.5's could handle.

Users who are viewing this thread