Generic Shorties on Ebay?

MOTORCITYBADBOY

Established Member
03 DSG Snake-
Fitment is the reason why I posted the question to see if anyone else has tried them..

Why would rust be an issue?

It says T-304 stainless steel, and with a quick google search:

"304 Stainless is the highest quality stainless steel used in the automotive world, and it is most often found in exhaust tips, clamps, bolts and other small exhaust components where strength is very important. 304 grade stainless is tough and nearly impervious to rusting, because it has around 20% chromium and 10% nickel content in the alloy. However, because of its low ferrous content, it can develop a golden color when exposed to high heat over time. In fact, the ferrous metal content is so low that magnets won’t stick to it, making the identification of T409 and T304 very easy".

noldevin

Established Member
I'd still worry about rust because $150 headers. They can say it's whatever type of stainless they want, doesn't mean it's real or high quality. You also don't know if they used the right welding material to keep it all stainless.

That being said, unless you're installing a turbo kit, shorties aren't worth the time and money to install. The car already has tri-y shorties. Installing any other shorty will be minimal difference.

MOTORCITYBADBOY

Established Member
I'd still worry about rust because $150 headers. They can say it's whatever type of stainless they want, doesn't mean it's real or high quality. You also don't know if they used the right welding material to keep it all stainless.

That being said, unless you're installing a turbo kit, shorties aren't worth the time and money to install. The car already has tri-y shorties. Installing any other shorty will be minimal difference.

Thanks for the input. Not installing a turbo... My car is a Roush with a big supercharger sitting on top. The car is already not worth the money! ... What's a few hundred more? it's not a DD or a racer, just a weekend cruiser.

The story on the factory headers is that they were mocked up one weekend by one of the Ford engineers in his garage, and the lead engineer said "oh that looks good, and it'll be cheap to produce"! If you look at the factory piece with say a BBK shorty, it sure looks like the factory piece is not even close in engineering quality.
As I mentioned, not looking for power gains, just want to tweek the exhaust note. Also adding the MAC Prochamber for a nice deep tone-

basspro302

Established Member
The factory headers are actually pretty damn nice. Swapping to other shorty headers probably wont change the sound or power much. You are better off looking at mufflers ans x or h pipes.

MG0h3

Established Member
Of course I can't say anything about these, but in the past some folks were getting subpar "304" reportedly from China. This was a turbo company that is still around that used to have a very bad name. Parts would crack and rust. Granted those were holding a turbo.

Putting headers on is a pain in the ass in my opinion. $150 bucks sets off alarm bells. Could care less about power. I'd worry about fitment and longevity.

MOTORCITYBADBOY

Established Member
Thanks for the advice.
I will probably stick with BBK or Kooks or one of the other major brands... Generally don't like to put cheapo parts on my expensive little Mustang, but just wondered if anyone had tried the no name units..

MG0h3

Established Member
Thanks for the advice.
I will probably stick with BBK or Kooks or one of the other major brands... Generally don't like to put cheapo parts on my expensive little Mustang, but just wondered if anyone had tried the no name units..

I think there are some name brand headers like MAC that don't break the bank but don't have a bad rap at all.

momogt

Established Member
65535_alt3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread