Geothermal heating/cooling, who's got it?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Well I'm looking at my options. It looks like I will need to replace my oil boiler and central AC one the next year. I am thinking geo will be a better bet although a tad more expensive I figure since I have to upgrade two systems it won't be that much difference and the savings over oil fuel should be huge.

So who has them and what has been your experince. Price would be nice as I am guesstimating right now and educating myself before estimates. I figure 20k range with tax credits. I have two acres so space isn't an issue. Soil type I don't know yet

I want to be able to heat my house and not freeze. I may also keep the boiler as a backup if possible.

Edit: current boiler and AC are both 17 years old.

Last edited:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I am like Sid, I would like to have one also. I do have a gas well on my property but the free gas I let my sister use in mom's old house.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I'm just curious what people experience and how fast they saw a savings. Oil is just too unpredictable.

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
Buddy use to do the installs. If I remember correctly he said they were labor intensive, costly, and took a long time to "pay" for itself. Its supposed to make it less of a burden on your heat pump/ac if I remember correctly, but I would think not only would it save life on the heat pump/ac but save electricity as well. Less strain=less electricity. Like to hear/know as well. Subn.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
My brother has the "loop" style and a friend drilled a well for his. Cant really say what kind of savings they had, but I can tell you this, they both ended up installing woodstoves....

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
My brother has the "loop" style and a friend drilled a well for his. Cant really say what kind of savings they had, but I can tell you this, they both ended up installing woodstoves....

Def. not a wood stove fan, way too risky with little kiddies, heck I can see myself tripping into it after a few beers. We had one before and that thing got scary hot.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I've installed hundreds of tons of geothermal systems, mostly residential.

Carrier, Bryant, FHP, Bosch, Climate Master. Self contained, Spit units, Hybrid Heat dual fuel systems.

System equipment is not much more expensive than air to air equipment. You need to drill 1 loop, 200' down, for every 12,000 BTUs (1 ton) of refrigeration. So, if you have the requirements for a 4 ton (48,000 BTU) system, you'll need 4 loops drilled down 200'-225' ea. The supply and return lines are then tied together in the header pit and brought into the home through the foundation wall.

Most well drillers will charge $1800-$2200 per loop, if you use the 4 ton example you will be charged $7200-$8800 for the loop field. The good thing is the Federal Government offers a 30% tax credit toward the entire cost of the installation. I have calculated the Federal rebate covers 90% of the well drilling fees, not bad.

I have performed many energy audits, on average most people will see payback periods on their investment in 5-7 year range. Payback periods depend on what they're converting from, how much their current utility/fuel rates are and how aggressive they are with set point temperatures in their home.

Since you're in Maryland you qualify to enter into the Renewable Energy Credit (REC) market. A broker converts your BTU capacity into wattage, the wattage is converted into credits, the credits are traded on the REC market, you get money every quarter! It's not a lot so don't get too excited.

You still have to pay for the equipment and labor to install it. It's hard saying what that is with out more information regarding your home.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I've installed hundreds of tons of geothermal systems, mostly residential.

Carrier, Bryant, FHP, Bosch, Climate Master. Self contained, Spit units, Hybrid Heat dual fuel systems.

System equipment is not much more expensive than air to air equipment. You need to drill 1 loop, 200' down, for every 12,000 BTUs (1 ton) of refrigeration. So, if you have the requirements for a 4 ton (48,000 BTU) system, you'll need 4 loops drilled down 200'-225' ea. The supply and return lines are then tied together in the header pit and brought into the home through the foundation wall.

Most well drillers will charge $1800-$2200 per loop, if you use the 4 ton example you will be charged $7200-$8800 for the loop field. The good thing is the Federal Government offers a 30% tax credit toward the entire cost of the installation. I have calculated the Federal rebate covers 90% of the well drilling fees, not bad.

I have performed many energy audits, on average most people will see payback periods on their investment in 5-7 year range. Payback periods depend on what they're converting from, how much their current utility/fuel rates are and how aggressive they are with set point temperatures in their home.

Since you're in Maryland you qualify to enter into the Renewable Energy Credit (REC) market. A broker converts your BTU capacity into wattage, the wattage is converted into credits, the credits are traded on the REC market, you get money every quarter! It's not a lot so don't get too excited.

You still have to pay for the equipment and labor to install it. It's hard saying what that is with out more information regarding your home.

When it comes time if you work in Montgomery County near Tridelphia reservoir area I will have to have you give me a quote. I want knowledge, experience and the opportunity to help fellow SVTP members with business.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
This reminds about what I hear concerning solar panels. Houses are super efficient and it takes decades to see any returns on the investment. But that is the real nature of investing isn't it?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
This reminds about what I hear concerning solar panels. Houses are super efficient and it takes decades to see any returns on the investment. But that is the real nature of investing isn't it?

The reason this is a little different is that I would have to replace the heating and cooling systems anyways. Two separate service contracts, and the heating source burns the most expensive fuel you can (oil). The tax credits make a huge difference.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
my sister and brother in law have some type of geothermal cooling setup, where around their property cooling lines are buried, it works quite well.. for heat, they have a pellet stove and since my brother in law has been working at a pellet mill for decades takes 2 bags of pellets home a night (all the employees are authorized this, since they are the plant's quality control)

Users who are viewing this thread