German-speakers: A request for your assistance...

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
I am trying to figure out how to correctly pronounce a single word in German. It's a pretty simple one:

starke (German for 'strength')

I'm trying to decide if it's pronounced just stark or stark-ee.

Any assistance would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
youd think itd be more of a stark-uh sound, but i guess not

actually you are correct. it actually has an umlaut over the a and if I recall my pronunication correctly the correct phonetic pronunciation would be "shtarkuh"

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
actually you are correct. it actually has an umlaut over the a and if I recall my pronunication correctly the correct phonetic pronunciation would be "shtarkuh"

the sh part just comes from german dialect, kinda like hispanics/some germans when rolling their r's. i dont believe it's actually MEANT to be said like that, but it's not incorrect either

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
the sh part just comes from german dialect, kinda like hispanics/some germans when rolling their r's. i dont believe it's actually MEANT to be said like that, but it's not incorrect either

Possible. I learned my German initially in high school from teachers who were actual first generation immigrants from Germany. if I remember correctly they both had married Americans who had been working in Germany. had a 6 month course in a German language class before I left for the American Embassy in Bonn in 1982 and then it was trial by fire. LOL

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
For those who were curious, we're trying to name the German Shepherd puppy we'll be bringing home 20-Apr-2008.

Starke (meaning 'strength') is one of the options. Blitz, Konig, and a few others are also in consideration.

Leonie

Established Member
Well, it is Stärke, with an "umlaut" over the first a, so I can´t figure out how to tell you how it is pronounced correctly, all I can say is: all other solutions were wrong..

Same thing with König, so I´d call it Blitz!! :thumbsup:

Edit: as I read you bring it home april the 20th (really?) you should call it "Blitzkrieg"...

Cheers, Bernd :beer:

Last edited:

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
Well, it is Stärke, with an "umlaut" over the first a, so I can´t figure out how to tell you how it is pronounced correctly, all I can say is: all other solutions were wrong..

How were mine & RDJ's wrong, just wondering?

Leonie

Established Member
Well, the "Umlaute" bring a totally different pronounciation into words, which can not be described in your language..

The "ä" is somewhere between the a and the e, it is somewhere (not exactly, but the closest match I could imagine) in the region of the pronounciation of the word "bear" (the animal)...

The e at the end of "Stärke" is in the same league, but "lighter", well - as I said - the german language and especially its pronounciation is difficult to explain...

You just have to hear it personally, you could also visit the "bahn" then.. :banana:

And now for some further explanation of my first post in this thread:

1. april the 20th is the birthday of the "Führer" (another Umlaut here)

2. no, I am not a Nazi

3. no, not all Germans are Nazis

4. still think the thought of naming a shepherd with a german name is cool!

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
Well, the "Umlaute" bring a totally different pronounciation into words, which can not be described in your language..

The "ä" is somewhere between the a and the e, it is somewhere (not exactly, but the closest match I could imagine) in the region of the pronounciation of the word "bear" (the animal)...

The e at the end of "Stärke" is in the same league, but "lighter", well - as I said - the german language and especially its pronounciation is difficult to explain...

You just have to hear it personally, you could also visit the "bahn" then.. :banana:

And now for some further explanation of my first post in this thread:

1. april the 20th is the birthday of the "Führer" (another Umlaut here)

2. no, I am not a Nazi

3. no, not all Germans are Nazis

4. still think the thought of naming a shepherd with a german name is cool!

I get it. Many thanks for the explanation. =D

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member

Edit: as I read you bring it home april the 20th (really?) you should call it "Blitzkrieg"...

Actually, we were thinking of calling it Krieger ('warrior'). But actually, we decided on 'Blitz'. :rockon:

And yes, 20-Apr-2008. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread