Get ready Mustang fans...GT 500 to humiliate Camaro ZL1 in 2018 !!!

Breitling

Established Member
i remember someone weighing a new 08 w/ nav at just about 3800.

if Ford produces a GT500 under 4000 lbs with 750 HP, beefy IRS, magnetic ride, 10-speed auto (optional) and it can actually hook, then they may get my attention.

is that unrealistic to expect? I don't think so.

If Ford produces a GT500 with the specs you listed, they would have my full attention.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Remember the mustang was supposed to be 200lbs lighter some said up to 400lbs lighter and it turned out to be heavier.

Lol

Remember the mustang was what, 3500lbs? Losing 200-400lbs on an already light car is not easy. If anyone really believed ford would design a V8, IRS mustang that weighed 3100lbs they were a ****ing idiot.

A hellcat is 4600lbs. Losing 500lbs with a much smaller platform is VERY realistic.

That comparison is apples to oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clemson

Established Member
If Ford produces a GT500 with the specs you listed, they would have my full attention.

It wouldnt be much of an upgrade if it DIDNT have those specs. Still, would NEVER buy an automatic. Would absolutely ruin the driving experience for what? Getting a slight edge once in a great while when it would make an actual difference? No thanks.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The 700+ hp claims seem a bit unrealistic to me. I could see ~650 in the first year or two. Ford likes to raise power on a given chassis as time passes. On a GT500 my guess is that the mag ride would be standard.

I just want to know what manual transmission gets the nod, if at all. Seems Ford tries to keep costs down and by only offering one or the other, auto or stick. The TR3160 ain't gonna cut it and Ford is on a 3 year hiatus from the TR6060 to date.

Paddle shifted auto only?

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
The Challenger certainly needs some serious "downsizing" too much pork and wheelbase and never got rave reviews in the rags. Time to get it down to true "E" body proportions. Every person I've talked to who owns one didn't give me the impression they were overenthusiastic about the car even Hellcat owners. Driving my Terminator you couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I hope Dodge does something good with the new Challenger it was disappointing the car is such a Moose :nonono:

You need to take a ride in a Hellcat because your thoughts on it would change dramatically.

I have owned a ported 2003 Cobra and a 2.3 TVS 2012 Shelby GT500 and now I have a 2016 Challenger Hellcat.

I am here to tell you from personal experience, if the Hellcat is not impressing the driver, he is doing something Wrong.

It may be a big heavy car, but that also means it is roomy and comfortable inside and has a nice smooth ride, which is really nice when you have passengers or if you want to take it on a longer trip.

With everything stock except the 305 drag radials on the rear, I can pull 3.5 0-60 and 11.5 quarter on the street.

I am very impressed with the Hellcat and truthfully this is the first car I have owned that I do not feel I need to modify it for more power. It has more than enough for street use.

If I ever change my mind on that I could push it well over 800 hp with just a simple pulley and tune upgrade.:-D

I will keep enjoying my "Moose" for now until a better GT500 is released.

Clemson

Established Member
If I want a big fat heavy roomy vehicle with an lame boring auto tranny to take on long trips, I'll buy a....oh wait, already have one, a Ford explorer.

Booky

Established Member
That is a sweet looking Challenger Booky!
And since you offered, I'd be glad to take a ride in your car!

You welcome anytime, just give me a heads up when you want to stop by and we will take it out and put those drag radials to good use. :beer:

Booky

Established Member
If I want a big fat heavy roomy vehicle with an lame boring auto tranny to take on long trips, I'll buy a....oh wait, already have one, a Ford explorer.

Good for you Sunshine.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Lol

Remember the mustang was what, 3500lbs? Losing 200-400lbs on an already light car is not easy. If anyone really believed ford would design a V8, IRS mustang that weighed 3100lbs they were a ****ing idiot.

A hellcat is 4600lbs. Losing 500lbs with a much smaller platform is VERY realistic.

That comparison is apples to oranges.

Wait a minute:
The Mustang was said by those in the "know" it was going to a smaller platform. It however did not.
I thought they said the Challenger was going to a Masarati platform which is the same size but 500lbs lighter.
Which is why I asked, is the chassis 500lbs lighter or is the entire car 500lbs lighter. Do you know this answer?

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Wait a minute:
The Mustang was said by those in the "know" it was going to a smaller platform. It however did not.
I thought they said the Challenger was going to a Masarati platform which is the same size but 500lbs lighter.
Which is why I asked, is the chassis 500lbs lighter or is the entire car 500lbs lighter. Do you know this answer?

Its going to an Alfa Romeo Giulia platform. Much smaller, more in line with mustang and camaro.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I get a box full of car magazines each month. A recent one had in it's future possibilities a higher HP Hellcat on the new Alfa Romeo frame which kept the interior dimensions of the car about the same but dropped 500+ pounds. Car and Driver I think.

Its going to an Alfa Romeo Giulia platform. Much smaller, more in line with mustang and camaro.

I did mean alfa platform. But with the quote above and the same interior dimensions(height width depth) it sounds to me it will be the same size vehicle. Again is the alpha chassis 500lbs less or is it the entire vehicle that's 500lbs less? Is it 500lbs less than the 4450 HellCat or is it 500lbs less than the 4200 SRT8?

reason4treason

Established Member
when I first got my 'Cat I was shocked at how quick it is with that kind of weight to lug around. now I'm shocked that it's already time to be saving up for the next Mustang i'll be lusting for.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
I did mean alfa platform. But with the quote above and the same interior dimensions(height width depth) it sounds to me it will be the same size vehicle. Again is the alpha chassis 500lbs less or is it the entire vehicle that's 500lbs less? Is it 500lbs less than the 4450 HellCat or is it 500lbs less than the 4200 SRT8?

Id imagine its going to be 500 less than the NA cars. Give or take. I keep hearing the Hemi will be no more after the 2018 model year. (or maybe for the 2018 model year) In favor of going for a TT V6. The only Hemi staying around will be the Hellcat as it will be the special edition. Again these are just rumors.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
The 700+ hp claims seem a bit unrealistic to me. I could see ~650 in the first year or two. Ford likes to raise power on a given chassis as time passes. On a GT500 my guess is that the mag ride would be standard.

I just want to know what manual transmission gets the nod, if at all. Seems Ford tries to keep costs down and by only offering one or the other, auto or stick. The TR3160 ain't gonna cut it and Ford is on a 3 year hiatus from the TR6060 to date.

Paddle shifted auto only?

Right with you on all of it. Mainly said auto "optional" and "750" to avoid the usual "I only drive manual" comments and "more power is always better" comments. Didn't work, I guess.

In reality, i do not care what the HP number is at this point. I want a car that hooks like mad and gets the job done, period! If they can do it with 650, no problem for me. Though with a 10-speed auto, I suppose paddles are probably useless.

On wet or cold days I drive the SHO. Gotten so I really enjoy traction. Living up north the GT500 only really hooks a couple months a year. Too bad AWD is so heavy!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I wouldn't pin it to that. What does the 13-14 have, a 2.3L TSV?

Ford really hung their nuts out with that out of the box.

At the end of the day, the zl1 is lighter and more balanced than incumbent GT500s. Not to mention the 10spd auto option.

I think the zl1 is going to **** shit up. 9s will be super easy in the auto version if the trans can withstand.

That being said, it looks like total dogshit. Too bad, I would consider one if it weren't for that and the visibility. The lighter alpha platform is excellent and so are blown lsxs.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

It's not lighter it's 3900lbs just like the last GT500. It is lighter than the last zl1 by 200. Better balanced? Who knows is it a rear mount tranny like the zo6?

Users who are viewing this thread