Getting My McLaren Wrapped Tomorrow

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Have I? No. Do countless shops wrap countless quarter million dollar cars weekly? Yes. If this was damaging the paint, I don't think they would be doing this.

Its very tough on the paint. Everything you read on the internet about "bitchin wraps bro!" isnt true.

Obviously a pro shop is best for film removal because the DIYer can totally destroy a $20k paint job.

OP wants his middle name to be Treynor, so having a shop remove shouldnt be an issue.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Your car, your money do what suites you. Personally, I like something different, especially something easily undone. (Relatively) go for it and post a ton of pics.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Obviously a pro shop is best for film removal because the DIYer can totally destroy a $20k paint job.

...and I agree. Someone getting their mustang wrapped for $1,200....they are getting shit quality. When you drop 10K for the best shop in LA to disassemble your supercar, door panels off, wing off, etc, they do a quality job and it shouldn't have any effect on the paint.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I do recall on another forum a member had his car wrapped and when it came off it damaged the paint.

The company paid to have the car completely repainted, for them to bend over backwards like that doesn't seem like it's common.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
...and I agree. Someone getting their mustang wrapped for $1,200....they are getting shit quality. When you drop 10K for the best shop in LA to disassemble your supercar, door panels off, wing off, etc, they do a quality job and it shouldn't have any effect on the paint.

Agree it should not.

Me personally, i just wouldn't risk a McLaren-caliber paint job with a wrap in any color TBH.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I do recall on another forum a member had his car wrapped and when it came off it damaged the paint.

The company paid to have the car completely repainted, for them to bend over backwards like that doesn't seem like it's common.

It's more common than they want you to think.

Ive removed a few wraps and it is an AWFUL process .. especially if its been on the car for more than a few years and has "baked" into the finish.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow, I'm surprised. I always thought the vinyl wouldn't affect the paint?
What happens to the paint when you take the vinyl off? Does the paint stick to the vinyl when taking off?

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Agree it should not.

Me personally, i just wouldn't risk a McLaren-caliber paint job with a wrap in any color TBH.

I would do a full clear bra on any higher priced car. Color change...not likely.

I've always loved the Ford GT, especially the heritage edition. Those go for like 350K+. A normal GT, higher (for a GT) mileage can be low 200s. If I won the lotto, **** it I'll buy the cheap GT and it's getting a 20K repaint in heritage edition, and then a clear bra over that. :)

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, not all the time but it does happen. Now if any car has had touch ups or repainted sections and you wrap it, may God have mercy on your soul.
Pick your poison.
LOL
Yeah, I guess that would leave a mess. lol

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It's more common than they want you to think.

Ive removed a few wraps and it is an AWFUL process .. especially if its been on the car for more than a few years and has "baked" into the finish.
I would agree on keeping the wrap on for too long. I think youre asking for trouble.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Putting a wrap on a Mclaren is like putting vinyl siding on a stone house.

Users who are viewing this thread