getting ready for a new set up

94slowbra1

Established Member
so i ordered a 3.625 pulley today to help lower the boost just a little. checked the space under the hood and there is more than enough room between the pulley and underside of the hood. hopefully i can get it in soon and see how it does. of course ill be polishing it :)
will keep updated on what it does with boost

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
so i ordered a 3.625 pulley today to help lower the boost just a little. checked the space under the hood and there is more than enough room between the pulley and underside of the hood. hopefully i can get it in soon and see how it does. of course ill be polishing it :)

Maybe it was the 3.4 that I saw that said the 3.5 pulley was the largest that will fit. But that's good to know. I might consider the same thing down the road. I still have the 4lb lower on the shelf for when things get serious.

94slowbra1

Established Member
Probably. I know the 3.4 is much bigger than the 2.3/2.9 case. According to whipple the 2.3 and 2.9 are the same height. I can say this is probably true due to them both fitting under the strut tower brace

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Probably. I know the 3.4 is much bigger than the 2.3/2.9 case. According to whipple the 2.3 and 2.9 are the same height. I can say this is probably true due to them both fitting under the strut tower brace

My buddy has a 3.4 and I know they had to notch the hood for whatever pulley he's running. I think it's a 3.75. That along with a stock sized lower still has him around 27 or 28 psi.

The 2.9 does look like it sits lower than I was expecting.

94slowbra1

Established Member
So I "clearanced" the stb a little to give some room for the engine to tq. It doesn't look like much but it should be enough.
You can also see in the background where the inlet was rubbing on the hood. I filed that down too. I'll fill it and get it painted once I know if it's enough.
20190920_113505-3024x2268.jpg

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Malcolm notched and painted his hood when he was running the crusher. I saw some rub marks on another car running a gen 3 crusher. I think he still had his blanket in place.

cj428mach

Established Member
Malcolm notched and painted his hood when he was running the crusher. I saw some rub marks on another car running a gen 3 crusher. I think he still had his blanket in place.

I believe all the crusher cars are going to rub unless you use Kmember spacers. I asked Whipple why they didn't change the inlet on the 3.0 so it wouldn't have the problems of the earlier crushers. Their explanation was they didn't want to hurt flow, which is a crock of crap because the TVS inlet is every bit as big and it doesn't contact the hood. The problem is the whipple sits higher.

94slowbra1

Established Member
its just money

That's what I tell my wife. But in reality when you start combining a bunch of aftermarket parts shits bound not to be 100%. I knew going into the crusher that it was most probably going to contact the hood. To me it's no big deal, just cut and fix. For some that's not an option

I believe all the crusher cars are going to rub unless you use Kmember spacers. I asked Whipple why they didn't change the inlet on the 3.0 so it wouldn't have the problems of the earlier crushers. Their explanation was they didn't want to hurt flow, which is a crock of crap because the TVS inlet is every bit as big and it doesn't contact the hood. The problem is the whipple sits higher.

I agree, I believe it's a cost thing. They already have the casting so it's cheaper just to leave it be. And let's be honest, how many guys installing a blower capable of big hp like a crusher haven't "clearanced" a few parts along the way. Is what it is

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

Kinda like KB saying they have the Mammoth entering the driver side because there's more flow. Even though the other blowers make just as much power from the passenger side. They all have their issues.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

Nooooooo lol.

I mean, at least get it dynoed with the 3.5! Bet it makes monster numbers!

Btw, did you add head studs?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I agree, I believe it's a cost thing. They already have the casting so it's cheaper just to leave it be. And let's be honest, how many guys installing a blower capable of big hp like a crusher haven't "clearanced" a few parts along the way. Is what it is

Exactly. For this performance level, pretty minor adjustments all things considered. Look at what turbo terminators have to go thru! Lol. Even the TVS guys feel compelled to take a brand new blower and mill down the IAT2 sensor seat because it was manufactured wrong depth to begin with....probably another "economies of scale" decision.

Nothing is perfect

94slowbra1

Established Member
Nooooooo lol.

I mean, at least get it dynoed with the 3.5! Bet it makes monster numbers!

Btw, did you add head studs?

That's why I'm nervous, no studs. 25lbs is pushing it on stock bolts, I'm sure 24 is perfectly safe, haha.
I'll most probably do a 3.5 and a 3.625 pull to see the difference. If I had studs I'd have no reservations about running on 25lbs. In due time

94slowbra1

Established Member
20190923_171107-3024x2268.jpg
20190923_171115-3024x2268.jpg
20190923_130657-3024x2268.jpg
I know I know, go big or go home. 25lbs just didn't feel right on a factory long block. Headstuds at minimum and I would have left it. The 3.625 arrived today and puts me right at 23-24lbs, perfect. And ofcourse I had to polish it to match the rest.
And yes I will dyno both pulleys to see the difference

Users who are viewing this thread