Getting serious about building the motor

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Well I have had the car for 11 years and it is time.....time to build me a bad ass motor.

So I am looking into suggestions and peoples advice and experience with different vendors etc. Right now I am looking at stroking the motor out to a 302, using a teksid block, and a set of worked over ported 01 C heads I have. I want advice on who makes some good stuff. What you all think about compression ratio, cam profiles, cam springs etc. I will likely get another shortrunner made for this car by NASVT if he is still making them by then. Tell me what worked or did not work.

The end goal of this is somewhere in 800 hp range, and a drag car that I can drive to the track and run 10's all day long if I want. Power adder of choice is going to be twin turbos, better spool and street-ability. I will likely build the motor, run it NA for a year and then do turbos to let the wallet recover and make sure the motor is up to snuff. I have a built rear ready for the car so once the motor is done the trans will be the weak link and the last thing I do, but lets focus on the motor for this thread. Also I plan to build this and just swap out the old motor, I don't think it has much value and I would rather be able to drive the car while the motor is being built.

I am working with my dad and his race partner to put this thing together, they are more old school racing bib block Chevy or Ford motors into the 9's and low 8's. Current race car runs a bib block 540 with a lenco running a fastest of 8.06 at 164. This is their hobby but they have been doing it now 50 years so they know what they are doing. Just building a bad ass mod motor is new to them. The guy who does the mechanical stuff is a mechanic and body man for trade so he has the skills. Builds all the motors etc.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
also wondering what it would take to get the car up to 5.3L, block wise what are my options from those who have done this.

harvboi05

Established Member
800 is big time over kill for 10s..

I just built a teksid last fall, if I could do. It again I'd buy a built short block and just swap heads.

98fourvalve

Established Member
also wondering what it would take to get the car up to 5.3L, block wise what are my options from those who have done this.

Your looking at either sleeving your block or just buying an iron boss block and stroking it. I'd get the iron block instead of sleeving one. I'd hate to see the sleeves fail. I've got the boss block (3.7 bore )in mine, I didn't stroke it so it's only a 5.0 but its awesome. Haven't had any issues.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
With a pretty stout NA engine, you could stick with one good single turbo and easily hit 800rwhp w/out any spooling issues.

However, if having twin turbos is what you want, then definitely do it! :D

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
what I want is to be able to run tens whether is it humid as hell or perfect conditions. I just figure a duel turbo would be easier on the whole system and consistency. Right now we are just trying to figure out what brands to go with for the rods and pistons and where to source the crank from. I am fine with either piecing each part or ordering a kit if it has what I want and need. I do not want junk Chinese parts, i will pay more for American made and be proud of it.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Your looking at either sleeving your block or just buying an iron boss block and stroking it. I'd get the iron block instead of sleeving one. I'd hate to see the sleeves fail. I've got the boss block (3.7 bore )in mine, I didn't stroke it so it's only a 5.0 but its awesome. Haven't had any issues.

I am very weary of sleeving the block, seems they just have too many issues with the sleeves walking out. I do not want the iron block, the turbos will add enough weight to the front end that I do not want to add any more. I want this sucker to be light and fast, and kick butt at the track and drive home happy.

98fourvalve

Established Member
If weary of sleeving a block and you not wanting the iron one then I wouldn't worry about trying to go for 5.3. The iron doesn't add too much weight up front and for it's strength the price can't be beaten. But I understand, more weight up front is definitely something I like to avoid. But with your power goals 70 lbs is not even going to be noticeable.

The aluminum big bore block they sell with the huge pricetag I don't think anyone in their right mind would bother.

You don't even need to stroke it or bore it out to make big power with turbo's anyway. Ton's of 4.6s with big power like you are wanting.

Last edited:

Noreast

Established Member
What is the stock teksid good more? Thought it was only around 520? So if what i heard was right you couldnt use it for 800hp right? Id just buy a termi long/short and build it with a whipple. Youlll have the power your want lol

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
What is the stock teksid good more? Thought it was only around 520? So if what i heard was right you couldnt use it for 800hp right? Id just buy a termi long/short and build it with a whipple. Youlll have the power your want lol

are you talking about the internals or the block. The block will support 1000 hp with minimum work, the internals is what is junk in our cars. Block is good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread