Getting very close to the 30k mile mark, opinions needed.

Skoalman

Banned
I'm very close to having 30k miles on the odometer, my question for you, (my fellow second-gen Lightning owners), is this..
For the 30K service, would you recommend i take it to a dealership for the 30k service or do it myself??

My truck is an '04, so the 3/30 warranty is surely going to be void soon (if not already), but i do have an extended powertrain warranty that i purchased from the dealer.
It's rather embarrassing that i post this question because i have been a service writer and car salesmen before in my younger years, and should probably know the answer to this..

The truck is driven daily here in Las Vegas and transports my tools and i on my dealership route, and on house calls for high end cars, (as a vendor).
(10 year professional, PDR master tech).

MAT2CH

Enjoy The Ride
Established Member
I had the dealership do mine. There were a lot of things that needed to be done in the 30,000 mile service and I couldn't pass up what they were going to charge me for mine.

Dusten

Established Member
most of my maintenance had already been done, but the tranny flush should be done at a dealer or service place.

morrison_205

Established Member
i would do it myself. they dont do much more than kick the tires i just went and got a print out on my 60k service and the only things they change are
oil, airfilter, fuel filter (all are easy and could be done in an afternoon) and they just check everything else for 361.00 NO THANKS

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
Skoalman said:
.....My truck is an '04, so the 3/30 warranty is surely going to be void soon (if not already), but i do have an extended powertrain warranty that i purchased from the dealer.....
With all the mods you have listed in your dyno thread, I think your warranty was voided a long time ago. :shrug:

Skoalman

Banned
WhiteBolt said:
With all the mods you have listed in your dyno thread, I think your warranty was voided a long time ago. :shrug:

Yea, true dat i suppose.

banghead.gif

SVT Knight

Established Member
im @ 40k. and nxt week im chaning the tranny fuid, filter and the diff fluid. and with the additon of a new moroso pan and a LFP Girdle

bamaRed

BAMA-LOC
Established Member
just had mine done, trany flush, rotate tires, and injector cleaning. what a waste of 450.00/ but they said if i didnt get it done, it would void my warr. oh well.

F8TLSNK94

BIG BALLER
Established Member
They Cannot Void Your Warranty For That,you Can Do It Yourself And They Cant Void The Warr!

EnglishAdam

Established Member
Well I did my 30k service myself because a Ford UK dealer would have zero idea of what to do.

No problems doing it either.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Your warranty CANNOT be voided from not doing a service at the dealership.

As long as you have paperwork showing that you bought the parts, they can't do anything.

Now, if you never did any servicing at all then yes, they can deny the repair as warranty.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Dealerships suck and the techs don't treat your vehicle with as much respect as they should. They take absolutely no pride in their work IMO. I would do it myself, except have the trans flushed somewhere as well...

Air filter, fuel filter, clean the injectors, the MAF, the IAC, trans fluid and filter, oil and filter, cabin filter if you choose, brake fluid flushed, refilled, and bled if you choose, and diff if you choose also... Stan

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
FordFanStan@DMP said:
Dealerships suck and the techs don't treat your vehicle with as much respect as they should. They take absolutely no pride in their work IMO.

Stan,

As you stated, thats your opinion and you are more than entitled to it. However, in my case your absolutely wrong.

I take great pride in the work that I do and I treat every car as if it was my own and my customer base reflects that.

I have a customer that brings his GT500 to me which is 40 miles from his house and he has a Ford dealership 3 miles from his house. Hell, I have people from this board that come to me for work.

morrison_205

Established Member
RIDE THE said:
Stan,

As you stated, thats your opinion and you are more than entitled to it. However, in my case your absolutely wrong.

I take great pride in the work that I do and I treat every car as if it was my own and my customer base reflects that.

I have a customer that brings his GT500 to me which is 40 miles from his house and he has a Ford dealership 3 miles from his house. Hell, I have people from this board that come to me for work.

are you guys supposed to wash/light detail our trucks when we get them serviced i mean i know the techs dont do that but is it common practice at most ford dealerships. i have a friend that works at a lincoln mercury mitsubishi dealership and they detail every car that comes in for service even small work. my ford dealership never does and i just want to know if i have a lazy dealership.

Dusten

Established Member
04sonicL said:
I have never had a Ford anywhere detail or wash my vehicle after service. I wouldent expect that any of them do?
read your svt owners manual, as an svt owner you are entitled to a wash/vacuum anytime your rig is in the shop for more than an oil change. you are also entitled to a loaner

FordFanStan

Established Member
RIDE THE said:
Stan,

Eric I meant nothing against, as an L brother, as helpful you are on the boards, and by pictures of your work that you have posted, I can tell you do take pride in your work, and I would trust you as well.

But believe me, I have been to way too many Ford dealerships way too many times in SoCal. Not just one but several of them. And I can only think of maybe a couple times where they either correctly repaired the problem the first time, and treated your vehicle with respect. You always get it back with smudges, greasy fingerprints, the young punk ass dudes that come move your vehicle drive like an ass and you want to literally murder them, and the list goes on. Again nothing against you or your delership, I am stating my opinion about my relations and incidents at the delerships I have been to.

Now as a rebuttle lol, I work for Dante @ DMP which made a 17 year career at Ford and was a 6 time Senior Master Tech. And I have never seen work like his. He takes great pride, and really gets upset when we get vehicles coming from Ford or other places which are not in tip top shape. He learned all that from Ford, so....

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
FordFanStan@DMP said:
Dealerships suck and the techs don't treat your vehicle with as much respect as they should. They take absolutely no pride in their work IMO. I would do it myself, except have the trans flushed somewhere as well...

Air filter, fuel filter, clean the injectors, the MAF, the IAC, trans fluid and filter, oil and filter, cabin filter if you choose, brake fluid flushed, refilled, and bled if you choose, and diff if you choose also... Stan

Exactly!!!!!!! "F Those Guy's"!!!!

Oh....It's a "Stealership" not dealership!!!

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
Nothing personal against the few mechanics that do take pride in their
work....Just that they are maybe 1/100??

Users who are viewing this thread