GM synchomesh fluid

prttyboyfloyd

Established Member
haha one step ahead of you i bought those when i bourhgt the origianl pro 5.0 i put in......now just so i understand we need 4.1 quarts of fluid correct? no need to take out the fill plug after i drain it if im filling it from the top right?

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
prttyboyfloyd said:
haha one step ahead of you i bought those when i bourhgt the origianl pro 5.0 i put in......now just so i understand we need 4.1 quarts of fluid correct? no need to take out the fill plug after i drain it if im filling it from the top right?

you are correct.

you wont believe the difference this fluid makes when the tranny is still cold. I have 0 gear noise w the MGW shifter, Cobrabob gasket, and penzoil fuild. I also did the firewall adjuster and quadrant at the same time and the clutch pedal feels like a honda.

Tom

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
prttyboyfloyd said:
I take out the fill plug and put a pan under it. Then fill from the top (with the car level) until the fluid runs out of the fill plug. Reinstall the plug, wipe down the side of the tranny then reinstall the shifter. I'll be changing to Synchromesh this summer.

I've used Pennzoil Synchromesh and the tranny simply started shifting more poorly as it got colder. Switched to Castrol Dexron III and this T56 has never felt better.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
syncromesh is recommended from the t-56 pdf file I have. Liberty's said to run syncromesh as well. Pennzoil syncromesh is the same as the GM stuff. I bought some at the local NAPA for way less than GM wanted at the dealership.

Users who are viewing this thread